Gransnet forums

Gardening

Diaries

(3 Posts)
Willow73 Thu 08-Sep-22 20:50:22

Has anyone used/ got a garden diary? There are so many out there I don’t know which one is best. I have got a new garden which I have planted this year and now got lots of seeds and ideas of where things should go!
Need to get organised!

madeleine45 Thu 08-Sep-22 23:04:42

I use a mix for a gardening diary. I draw a plan of the overall garden and then plans of each island bed or border. These are good to mark up with numbers and then you can put the numbers in the drawing of the beds to show your planting plan and then list the names of plant underneath., or in a small book that you can check up on. You can also take photos of your different beds during the year and these will give you the chance to look back over the year and see what went well and what you want to alter. Looking at these photos will help you to see which areas have the most sun and at what time of day etc. As for the gardening diary I actually find a simple book of lined paper without dates is much easier to use. If you write the date as you put any entries in , then you will be able to look back and see when you did any particular job, and what was particularly good or bad on that date. I use a very simple red star next to any plantings, which make it easy to check up on. If you keep a little notebook when you visit any gardens you can make notes on plants you like and might want to use in your garden. Take a walk around your local neighbours and see what grows well in their gardens. This will help you to see what does well and also check what sort of soil you have.Checking the soil is very important to decide on what will grow well in that area. Over the years I also have a habit which I have found useful in that I go out on christmas day and also on new years day and walk round and make a note of anything flowering on those days, and take photos of them. It gets you away from any hassle in the house for a short time and over the years you can see how things change . Keeping a note on when things flower is good to compare over the years , you can see how your garden changes over the years. On a horrible winters day it is enjoyable looking back over your plans and what you did and whether it was a good or not so good idea. You can sit and make plans to make great changes or just enjoy seeing things mature Most of all enjoy your garden, it will give you pleasure, and peace. If you feel in a bad mood take the secateurs and do a bit of deadheading. Feeling miserable, something just flowering will cheer you up and in these tough times there is always something to do or enjoy in your garden that will not cost you a fortune. There will be a gardening club in your area and you will make good gardening friends and be able to swap plants and get great advice from knowledgeable people. Happy gardening to you and just really enjoy having your own little gardening kingdom to do as you wish with.

Willow73 Fri 09-Sep-22 17:45:38

Thank you for all your advice and kind words. I’ll be giving it a go.