Gransnet forums

Gardening

What will you never grow again?

(87 Posts)
karmalady Sat 03-Sep-22 08:23:34

I have gone from allotment to a new house with a small garden and I grow fruit, flowers and veg

I am giving up on brassicas, I only planted one sprout and one purple sprouting this year, under net. They have grown beautifully strong but the cabbage white got in and the slugs and snails attacked. Now the area stinks of cabbage and the plants are full of holes and covered top to bottom with slug, snail and caterpillar poo and I cannot walk past without a swarm of shiny blue flies rising up

Definitely not worth my while any more, I am giving up on brassicas

Abitbarmy Sat 03-Sep-22 08:29:42

Cucamelons! Waste of water, greenhouse space and time. Also most brassicas due to everything that lurks in them despite careful netting.

karmalady Sat 03-Sep-22 08:32:08

also marketmore cucumbers. 4 mini cucs from two plants and I fed and watered them

Jaxjacky Sat 03-Sep-22 08:35:19

I used to think that karmalady until I discovered debris netting, much cheaper than environmesh. The slugs, we use pellets, the ones without metaldehyde, so animal safe.

Oldnproud Sat 03-Sep-22 08:45:51

Melons. I tried growing them for three or four years in a row (using the same packet of seed). In all that time I only got two edible ones, and they were really small!

Onions and garlic, but that's because there is white rot in the soil. My leeks can survive it, but not the onions and garlic.

Redhead56 Sat 03-Sep-22 08:47:11

Cucumbers and tomatoes I don’t have success unlike my dad every year his were brilliant.

Esspee Sat 03-Sep-22 08:49:22

Tomatoes.
Months of loving care, having to have neighbours tend them when away from home, the expense of the best compost and fertiliser then when they are finally ready for picking tomatoes are as cheap as chips in the shops.
OK they do taste so much nicer (especially Gardener’s Delight) but the commitment became too much.

Ro60 Sat 03-Sep-22 08:57:01

Carrots never seem to grow for me - even the miniature varieties.
Stinking Iris a friend ? gave me for my new garden years ago - but it spreads too much & a devil to pull up once established. ( glad I've moved house). Same with pampas grass.

grandMattie Sat 03-Sep-22 08:57:31

Any brassica. They attract every cabbage white in the country and are devoured by the caterpillars in no time at all. If you manage to evade that hazard, the result is so pathetic… any, E Kent is the brassica capital of the country and we can get them very cheaply…

Zonne Sat 03-Sep-22 09:07:15

Agree, brassicas are too problematic. Im trying to convince my husband we should stop growing courgettes. I don’t really like them, and even one plant produces too many for just him (in my view, not his. Yet).

Nannytopsy Sat 03-Sep-22 09:08:15

Arum italicum pictum. (The one with variegated leaves.) It is desperately invasive and leaves tiny dark bulbils deep in the soil which are impossible to completely remove. I eventually resorted to black plastic and bark mulch across a whole flower bed.
And brassicas!

J52 Sat 03-Sep-22 09:27:12

Broccoli ( I don’t do any other brassicas). Beautiful plants with fab heads, full of black beetle!

Farmor15 Sat 03-Sep-22 10:15:54

Jerusalem artichokes - the most windy vegetable I ever ate!
Also aubergines - we have a polytunnel and tomatoes, peppers etc do well but only ever got one aubergine despite trying a number of years.

MaizieD Sat 03-Sep-22 10:26:18

Nannytopsy

Arum italicum pictum. (The one with variegated leaves.) It is desperately invasive and leaves tiny dark bulbils deep in the soil which are impossible to completely remove. I eventually resorted to black plastic and bark mulch across a whole flower bed.
And brassicas!

When I bought that the woman at the nursery assured me it wasn't as invasive as the common type.... I don't want to entirely get rid of it, but I'm very severe with it.

OTOH Planting allium triquetum was my big mistake. It's clearly bent on world domination and it isn't a particularly attractive plant anyway. I dig out tons of it every year...

I've given up on most brassicas, too. Perfectly sound looking cabbages turn out to be riddled with slugs when cut into.

AskAlice Sat 03-Sep-22 10:26:34

Acanthus Mollis Spinosa (Bear's Breeches). I bought one at the Chelsea Flower show when they were all the rage in the Show gardens with nice single specimens standing alone in the middle of the borders. It was a thug, overshadowed everything else and far too big and spreading for my small-ish garden. 20 years later, I am still trying to get rid of it. I thought I had finally done it last year when I painstakingly removed every single bit of root but this year it has appeared again threatening to overwhelm nearby shrubs!

Also Japanese Anemones - same thing, can't get rid of the blasted things and the previous owner of this house had dotted them around in totally the wrong places...

Maybe I should just give in gracefully and let them take over grin

nanna8 Sat 03-Sep-22 10:31:05

Basil. It gets eaten as soon as I plant it out . I have tried netting it but the creatures love it so much they burrow underneath. Beasts ! Also wild iris - takes over, comes up everywhere. Beautiful flowers but they only last a day.

Oldnproud Sat 03-Sep-22 10:32:42

Chinese lanterns and lily if the valley. Both got.
Oh, and Russian sage (perovskia ). I had one that behaved itself beautifully for nearly ten years, then one year suddenly started invading the surrounding area!

J52 Sat 03-Sep-22 10:34:54

Isn’t it odd that some plants are thugs in some gardens and not in others. I know conditions are different everywhere, but for example, I’ve had gardens where Japanese Anemone never spreads and I just couldn’t grow Alchemilla Mollis no matter where I put it.

Witzend Sat 03-Sep-22 10:39:36

Tomatoes. Just too much faff when - at least in summer - you can find very tasty, U.K. grown ones in the shops. Those I grew last year from supposedly ‘special’ seed weren’t even very tasty.

And trad climbing sweet peas. I had masses of flowers from mine (from necessity grown in very big pots) but they grew so straggly and untidy it became impossible to support them properly. If there’s a next time, I’ll try the dwarf ones.

MrsKen33 Sat 03-Sep-22 10:40:04

Cucamelons. Grew quite a few but what for, I now wonder.?

Beauregard Sat 03-Sep-22 10:41:38

Brassicas here too. Apart from being full of caterpillars, at their peak we were cutting about ten cauliflowers the size of footballs all at once and having to freeze the majority. I don't like them much when they've been frozen.

I won't grow peppers again. Something is making holes in them and they're going bad on the plant before ripening. The babycorn is not very good either, so I'll leave that out next year too.

JaneJudge Sat 03-Sep-22 10:45:52

Rhubarb and any kind of squash as I don;t like them and they always do extremely well grin

lixy Sat 03-Sep-22 10:46:59

Grape hyacinths (muscari) are another contender in the race for world domination. I've spent many hours going through my small rockery trying to get all the tiny bulblets out - a legacy from previous owners. I have offered bulbs to friends and neighbours but no takers!!

Having said that I saw a variety that has a top knot that looked fun. If I find it for sale I'll be keeping it in a pot though.

karmalady Sat 03-Sep-22 10:48:47

sweet peas too, You cannot forget cutting them, blink and they turn to seed and the plants become straggly and unattractive

I am doubling up on shallots and carrots next year, trouble-free here in rotations

Not even bothering with beans next year, tall are too prolific for only me and I cannot reach the top. Dwarf were useless this year and I have just bought a bag full of organic green beans from the local wholefood shop and a cucumber. Not worth me buying these seeds again

Callistemon21 Sat 03-Sep-22 10:52:41

Broccoli
The sprouting broccoli was fine but when I picked a large head of broccoli it was full of cabbage white caterpillars.

Sprouts - they were tiny and again, full of holes.

Peppers - they get holes in and never turn red before they go soft.