Gransnet forums

Gardening

RHS Bridgewater

(25 Posts)
farview Thu 21-Jul-22 19:32:28

...spent a lovely day there last week....if you can...do visit ...Worsley, Gt Manchester

MiniMoon Thu 21-Jul-22 19:37:08

We had planned to visit on Monday. I am so glad we had to change our plans. Walking round a RHS garden in all that heat would not have been pleasant. We may go in August.
Thank you for the recommendation Farview.

J52 Thu 21-Jul-22 19:41:01

We went last summer, it was lovely, but we certainly will visit again to see the progression.

Chewbacca Thu 21-Jul-22 20:25:13

I'm lucky enough to live not too far from RHS Bridgewater and so have visited right from the beginning and visit quite frequently still. It's been wonderful watching the landscape change and develop so much in a short period of time. My favourite season is autumn; the woodland is gorgeous then.

mokryna Thu 21-Jul-22 22:33:34

My DD and I had a lovely day when we visited there last April to see the spring flowers.
I can recommend the resturant as well.

Teacheranne Thu 21-Jul-22 23:41:30

I went for the first time in June and was so impressed with everything that I joined the RHS before I left! I can now go free as often as I want and take a guest at no charge as well.

The best thing for me is that they lend out mobility scooters at no charge so I use them to pootle around - could not go otherwise.

I went a couple of weeks ago on my own for the final of the Interflora Florist of the Year competition and enjoyed watching some very talented florists create amazing displays. I am going this Sunday for a special event of Summer Bulbs - displays from growers, talks and various awards. I hope there will be some bulbs to buy!

It’s am amazing place, build from scratch over three years and does a lot of good for the local community with GP prescribing, outreach with schools and free entry on a Tuesday for Salford residents. Something for the NW to be proud of.

Teacheranne Thu 21-Jul-22 23:42:53

Some of the displays from the florists

vegansrock Fri 22-Jul-22 05:17:30

I’m nearer Wisley which is fantastic any time of year.

Motherduck Mon 25-Jul-22 11:37:47

I live about a mile from RHS Worsley but in the opposite direction from the ‘Salford’ side and so we just miss out on the opportunity of visiting the garden centre free on a Tuesday. It’s a beautiful place to visit and is right on our doorstep.

Gabrielle56 Mon 25-Jul-22 11:53:28

Not visited yet, was supposed having to book in advance though? We're in deepest darkest Lancashire so a. It of a journey for us. Can't wait to go now I've seen some pics!

Jeanieallergy21 Mon 25-Jul-22 12:04:42

I joined the RHS in 2020 in anticipation of being able to attend the opening ceremony, Tatton Flower Show, etc. Of course Covid hit and it never happened so I let my membership lapse. What a waste of Tesco vouchers - although I did enjoy the magazine that came with the membership. May try again next year.

Ribbet Mon 25-Jul-22 12:07:37

My DH gave me RHS membership for my bd in April. Have so far been to Wisley and Harlow Carr. Both wonderful but preferred Harlow Carr...esp the Bettys restaurant there!

LauraNorderr Mon 25-Jul-22 12:16:46

We visited Tatton Park flower show on Friday Jeannieallergy21, it was marvellous although we got thoroughly soaked. The marquees were busy but the displays amazing. We bought some lovely clay pots and ordered a lovely arch for the front door, roses round the door as soon as it arrives.

LauraNorderr Mon 25-Jul-22 12:19:14

Anyone who visited the Tatton Park show on Friday may have noticed the woman in the summer dress and straw hat among the raincoats, cagoules and umbrellas…
Well it was sunny in Anglesey when we left home.

Chewbacca Mon 25-Jul-22 12:41:20

RHS Tatton is just a few minutes away from me LauraNorder and I go every year, apart from this year! Count your blessings that it was a bit damp on Friday because they never provide anywhere near enough shade for visitors to rest in when it's blisteringly hot and sunny. At least the marquees provide shelter from the rain, but they're as hot as Hades on a sunny day!

LauraNorderr Mon 25-Jul-22 13:30:46

Thanks Chewbacca, I feel better about being soaked now, a hot as Hades marquee sounds much worse.

mancgirl Mon 25-Jul-22 23:08:18

Seems there are quite a few of us live close to RHS Bridgewater. It's a drop in place for me since gifted a membership last year. My gs's love the woodland adventure park. Lovely cakes in the restaurant too! smile

Teacheranne Mon 25-Jul-22 23:24:29

mancgirl

Seems there are quite a few of us live close to RHS Bridgewater. It's a drop in place for me since gifted a membership last year. My gs's love the woodland adventure park. Lovely cakes in the restaurant too! smile

I’ve never managed to get in the restaurant, the queues are too long! But I enjoy a coffee and cake from the Shepherds Hut near the Woodland Play area.

I enjoyed the Chinese Garden last visit.

GrandmasueUK Mon 25-Jul-22 23:28:03

I’m another who lives close to RHS Bridgewater, although I’ve not been there yet. We used to go when it was just a garden centre and had more staff than customers!

mancgirl Tue 26-Jul-22 07:33:51

Teacheranne you are right about queuing, it's never ending, especially at lunch time! Grandmasue we also used to go when it was a family owned garden center. Our boys used to go camping there when they were in cubs and scouts, in Middlewood, now part of the woodland walk. Think the RHS have done a good job, it's a lovely place to visit.

toscalily Tue 26-Jul-22 08:01:56

I have had RHS membership in the past, just a year here or there and visited all the other RHS places, been to Tatton Park Garden show a couple of times and Hampton Court thoroughly enjoyed both. We watched the TV programme about the renovation of RHS Bridgewater and found it interesting. Do any of the GN regular visitors know which is the quietest day for visiting?

mancgirl Tue 26-Jul-22 10:15:24

Normally, Monday or Tuesday morning or any time after about 3pm. Not sure what it will be like in July/August though, they have different events and activities planned for the summer.

Urmstongran Tue 26-Jul-22 10:23:04

It’s up the road from me yet I’ve never been!

GrandmasueUK Tue 26-Jul-22 11:22:19

mancgirl My brother was a Beaver leader and used to go camping there as well!

Foxgloveandroses Fri 16-Sep-22 00:19:31

My DD lives just up the road from Bridgewater RHS, I went last week when I was up visiting her. It is lovely, well worth going..