Gransnet forums

Food

Egg substitute recommendations

(25 Posts)
MayBee70 Tue 22-Nov-22 19:16:56

With talk of eggs being hard to come by I thought about getting some egg substitute for my store cupboard. I’ve been meaning to get some for ages. But I’ve read mixed reviews as to whether it works. I only use eggs in cooking for tea/banana bread and scones. Wondered if anyone had tried it.

Blossoming Tue 22-Nov-22 19:48:15

I’ve never used egg substitute but there are lots of egg-less baking recipes to be found online.

casacostello.com/classic-jam-cream-scones-baking-without-eggs/#wprm-recipe-container-20626

Septimia Tue 22-Nov-22 20:14:01

I completely forgot to put the eggs in the Christmas cake one year. You couldn't tell!

MawtheMerrier Tue 22-Nov-22 20:16:55

At the risk of being dismissed as a hopeless optimist, I don’t think it will come to that!

Norah Tue 22-Nov-22 20:19:18

Aquafabba.

AreWeThereYet Tue 22-Nov-22 20:27:45

Depends on what is being cooked and what the eggs are meant to be doing, but applesauce can substitute for eggs. Most recipes I've read use flaxseed and water. The flaxseed is left in the water till it congeals and then added instead of the eggs.

Callistemon21 Tue 22-Nov-22 20:28:40

I don't put egg in scones.

MawtheMerrier Was it you who posted a good recipe for scones?

There are recipes for vegan cakes and tea breads online.

www.glutarama.com/easy-vegan-bara-brith
I haven't tested this recipe.

I've made fruit cake with apple sauce instead of eggs.

Callistemon21 Tue 22-Nov-22 20:29:21

X post AreWeThereYet

MawtheMerrier Tue 22-Nov-22 20:40:10

There’s a “Three Ingredients” recipe using real lemonade , flour and cream .
I have tried it a few times and its OK but might not win many prizes at the WI !

MayBee70 Tue 22-Nov-22 20:48:43

I was wondering why I used an egg: I don’t usually. It was a National Trust recipe that I had in my recipe book. I’m not worried about an egg shortage. It’s just that sometimes I start cooking something and then realise I don’t have a vital ingredient and it’s usually an egg!

Callistemon21 Tue 22-Nov-22 20:54:03

Thanks Maw

CocoPops Tue 22-Nov-22 20:57:10

For each egg mix 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed meal with 3 tablespoons of warm water. Leave a few minutes for it to go gluey. Lots of vegan cake recipes online using flax eggs, cider/ white vinegar or apple sauce.
Here's a recipe for banana bread without eggs .It uses baking soda and baking powder instead.
2lb loaf tin 350°F x 50-60 mins.
1 3/4 cups flour (1/2 plain 1/2 wholemeal)
1/3 cup sugar, any kind
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (bicarb)
1/3 cup oil eg sunflower oil
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
4 small or 3 large ripe bananas
1/4 cup almond milk or any milk
Optional additions
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 -1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mash bananas
Add oil and vanilla
Fold in dry ingredients. Batter should be slightly stiff. A few lumps are OK
Don't over mix
Add milk if too stiff
Enjoy

Ro60 Tue 22-Nov-22 23:37:25

Vinegar Cake:
The 1940's Experiment: 1940sexperiment.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/1940svinegarcake.jpg

Hetty58 Wed 23-Nov-22 06:11:36

Save the liquid from a tin of chickpeas (freeze it if you like) as it makes a brilliant vegan substitute for egg whites. Why not beat some eggs and freeze them for using in cakes? They keep very well for at least six months. We get a lot in the summer (daughter and neighbour have hens) but far fewer in winter.

teabagwoman Wed 23-Nov-22 07:42:20

I freeze beaten egg in packs of two; works very well when dgd wants to bake and I’m out of stock. I’m reliant on Tesco delivery and their egg supply has been very erratic recently so am freezing a few extra. Dietary restrictions mean that substituting apple sauce isn’t an option and I’m nervous of the effect of flax seed.

MayBee70 Wed 23-Nov-22 12:23:17

So is egg in a recipe just to bind the ingredients together?

Hetty58 Wed 23-Nov-22 12:27:36

MayBee70, quite often, it's a raising agent too - but there are many others.

Notagranny44 Wed 23-Nov-22 12:57:41

I bought dried eggs recently to use in mayonnaise, as with just two of us, using a fresh egg, I have to thow some away as it won't keep more than a few days in the fridge.
With the dried egg, as they are pasteurised, the life of the mayo is longer ( about 2 weeks is fine) but the best thing is I can use half an egg, and make a smaller quantity. I haven't tried it in cakes, but I'm sure it would be fine. You just reconstitute in a little water.

merlotgran Wed 23-Nov-22 13:15:05

Save the liquid from a tin of chickpeas (freeze it if you like) as it makes a brilliant vegan substitute for egg whites.

I alway do this when baking gluten free bread. It works really well and prevents the loaf having a bread flavoured cake texture. I always have some in the freezer which defrosts quickly in the microwave.

Calendargirl Wed 23-Nov-22 13:29:27

My Delia scone recipe has just four ingredients, SR flour, butter/marg, caster sugar, milk.

No egg.

Simple and good, have had many compliments on my scones. Need eating fresh.

MiniMoon Wed 23-Nov-22 14:05:22

When my granddaughter was tiny she was allergic to eggs. Fortunately she grew out of if. I used to make a vinegar cake so that she didn't feel left out at tea time. It always turned out well.

Norah Wed 23-Nov-22 14:06:59

merlotgran

^Save the liquid from a tin of chickpeas (freeze it if you like) as it makes a brilliant vegan substitute for egg whites.^

I alway do this when baking gluten free bread. It works really well and prevents the loaf having a bread flavoured cake texture. I always have some in the freezer which defrosts quickly in the microwave.

Indeed.

Aquafabba is what I've read the liquid called.

Works a treat for egg whites.

AreWeThereYet Wed 23-Nov-22 15:33:00

I alway do this when baking gluten free bread.

Merlotgran How do you use it in gluten free bread please? Just replace any egg weight?

merlotgran Wed 23-Nov-22 18:57:43

How do you use it in gluten free bread please? Just replace any egg weight?

Yes but you may need to reduce the water in your recipe. I measure all my wet ingredients in a jug first and drain a little away if it exceeds 400 mls. You just need to keep the ratio of wet to dry ingredients the same as if you were using an egg.

AreWeThereYet Wed 23-Nov-22 20:29:18

Thank you merlotgran - I don't use a lot of chick peas but will give that a go one day when I have some. Nice to know it can be frozen too.