Gransnet forums

Food

Tomato free receipes?

(45 Posts)
OnwardandUpward Thu 17-Nov-22 14:01:05

Recently found out that Im allergic to tomato and this has made it very hard for me to cook anything because I have always cooked from scratch and used tinned tomatoes as a base for many meals such as chilli, curry and bolognese.

Does anyone have any good ideas how I can still make these taste convincing without tomato? (Also without it taking a really long time to prep things.) I tried butternut squash and beetroot concoction but none of us liked it.

Riverwalk Thu 17-Nov-22 14:16:27

If you're intolerant rather than severely allergic it could be that this is only with fresh tomatoes rather than cooked/canned.

I'd check with whoever tested you if this could be the case.

Bunty24 Thu 17-Nov-22 14:46:12

I would be interested to find an alternative to tinned tomatoes and tomato purée. I can eat them if I have to but don’t really enjoy them unlike fresh tomatoes which are fine.

JackyB Thu 17-Nov-22 14:49:20

My DH has always been allergic to them but only to the pips inside, so I can cook with strained tomatoes. Maybe you could try that, or to add flavour, just a spoonful of concentrated tomato puree.

Any raw tomatoes in a dish I replace with red pepper or cucumber.

Nannarose Thu 17-Nov-22 14:59:22

I think you need to look at what you want from the tomatoes you are using.
Veg bulk: I up the amount of diced vegetables that I gently fry until soft: usually onions, carrots, celery.
Thick liquid: I add some cornflour to the veg for thickness, and use veg stock for the liquid. I get Kallo, who also do lovely onion and mushroom stock.
Sweetness & acidity that tomatoes do so well! I use a little vinegar - sherry or balsamic, and some sugar OR what works very well are things like dried raisins, apricots etc. I have used apples when there is a glut.
I'm also great fan of mushroom ketchup for adding taste & balance.
I also think that if you find something that works (did you cook & puree the squash?) I would freeze portions of it.
I can't help with colour though!

Redhead56 Thu 17-Nov-22 16:10:46

Why not try red peppers cooked with the usual suspects onion garlic herbs. Use the ones in jars if it's easier and blend down to consistency you like.
They are nice and sweet like tomatoes add a touch of red wine vinegar if you want a sharper taste.

Norah Thu 17-Nov-22 16:57:34

Lasagna and other Italian tomato based recipes made with white sauce (veg broth based with cornflour, German maggi, shallots).

Chili with veg broth, extra celery, peppers, onions and garlic, maggi, miso (we love miso cooked in a variety of food).

GagaJo Fri 18-Nov-22 00:37:07

My DGS had testing for a tomato allergy. The consultant said it wasn't possible to have an allergy, but was an intolerance. He would get a rash, mouth would swell and even started vomiting and having stomach pains so severe he would scream and writhe.

The cosultant expained that it's because tomatoes are from the nightshade family and have a lot of histamines. If you cook them to death, the amount of histamine is lowered. DGS can eat very well cooked tomatoes now but he was tomato free for 3 years.

DD started cooking without toms and using peppers, lentils and onions. Taste isn't as good, but...

OnwardandUpward Fri 18-Nov-22 01:01:57

Riverwalk

If you're intolerant rather than severely allergic it could be that this is only with fresh tomatoes rather than cooked/canned.

I'd check with whoever tested you if this could be the case.

its a severe allergy to both

OnwardandUpward Fri 18-Nov-22 01:03:32

Redhead56

Why not try red peppers cooked with the usual suspects onion garlic herbs. Use the ones in jars if it's easier and blend down to consistency you like.
They are nice and sweet like tomatoes add a touch of red wine vinegar if you want a sharper taste.

Im avoiding everything in the Nightshade family. I do like peppers but am not able to eat them.

OnwardandUpward Fri 18-Nov-22 01:04:09

Nannarose

I think you need to look at what you want from the tomatoes you are using.
Veg bulk: I up the amount of diced vegetables that I gently fry until soft: usually onions, carrots, celery.
Thick liquid: I add some cornflour to the veg for thickness, and use veg stock for the liquid. I get Kallo, who also do lovely onion and mushroom stock.
Sweetness & acidity that tomatoes do so well! I use a little vinegar - sherry or balsamic, and some sugar OR what works very well are things like dried raisins, apricots etc. I have used apples when there is a glut.
I'm also great fan of mushroom ketchup for adding taste & balance.
I also think that if you find something that works (did you cook & puree the squash?) I would freeze portions of it.
I can't help with colour though!

the taste

OnwardandUpward Fri 18-Nov-22 09:26:34

I can't tolerate any type of tomatoes because of severe problems caused by them , but I am really missing the taste.

The post was really to see if anyone has found a tasty substitute. Thanks for the suggestions Nannarose. I did not know that mushroom ketchup existed so I will look for it. The onions, carrots and celery combo is one I use as a base for all my dishes, but the tomato is missing so that's the problem.

Yes I cooked and pureed the squash and the beetroot too. Would not include the beetroot again!

I'm so in a rut and don't know how to make curry either without tinned tomatoes. Used to make balti and Jalfrezi a lot and was freezing meals too. I've never been one to use processed sauces so I am a bit lost now I can't use tomatoes.

henetha Fri 18-Nov-22 10:47:10

For some recipes a cheese sauce would make a good substitute, but not for all obviously. Sweet peppers, as others above have said, is a nice idea.

Geranimum Fri 18-Nov-22 11:08:54

I am nightshade free for arthritis.
I too found substituting with a beetroot based alternative was not to my taste.
I have made a base for curry using carrot blended in a nutribullet and a few frozen cranberries. A small amount of tamarind paste brought it to a substitute that my son thought was tomato both in colour and taste when cold. It cooked up in the curry just like tomato and pehaps was not as rich but also not as acidic.

Silvergirl Fri 18-Nov-22 13:53:13

I have just recently stopped eating tomatoes and peppers because I read it cd be bad for arthritis, which I suffer quite a lot from. I have loved tomatoes since I was a child and would often eat a punnet to myself. Wondering now if this caused my arthritis.
Geranium, do you find being “nightshade free” has helped your arthritis? Hope you don’t mind me asking.

CoolCoco Fri 18-Nov-22 15:44:44

You could have a curry with a coconut milk base, like a Thai green curry, stir fries with noodles, rice with sweet potato and carrot, chickpea tagine, fish dishes galore, risotto with courgette or mushrooms made with white wine.

Geranimum Fri 18-Nov-22 23:19:37

The diet has helped with the pain and inflammation. Initially I thought it was almost a cure however 18 months on I am suffering increasingly with arthritic issues. I probably ought to try cutting out dairy as well as when I have in the past I have improved somewhat.
I am a diagnosed coeliac so my diet is limited anyway.
I do joke that I am just a Neanderthal who would survive quite well on just a chunk of woolly mammoth and a few foraged berries.

OnwardandUpward Sat 19-Nov-22 10:43:02

Geranimum

I am nightshade free for arthritis.
I too found substituting with a beetroot based alternative was not to my taste.
I have made a base for curry using carrot blended in a nutribullet and a few frozen cranberries. A small amount of tamarind paste brought it to a substitute that my son thought was tomato both in colour and taste when cold. It cooked up in the curry just like tomato and pehaps was not as rich but also not as acidic.

Thanks, this sounds perfect. Do you have a recipe with quantities please? I have never tried Tamarind paste, but will get some.

I'm missing the tomatoey taste of chilli con carne and Balti so this sounds perfect.

OnwardandUpward Sat 19-Nov-22 10:50:17

CoolCoco

You could have a curry with a coconut milk base, like a Thai green curry, stir fries with noodles, rice with sweet potato and carrot, chickpea tagine, fish dishes galore, risotto with courgette or mushrooms made with white wine.

I have had a delicious risotto this week, yummy fish a few times and pasta in cheese sauce with gammon, noodle stirfry with eggs and veg, ikea meatballs with ikea potato pancakes, veg and creamy sauce, among other things- but its the spicey tastes with tomato that I miss.

Like many others are mentioning, I do feel so much better without the internal bleeding that tomatoes give me. I just miss certain dishes. I'm glad that the Anti Nightshade diet is helping many.

Interestingly I seem ok with small amounts of potato but no aubergine, peppers or tomatoes. Its such a shame but I'm recovering from a long season of debilitating digestive disorder, made MUCH worse by tomatoes, but only worsened by drugs and invasive interventions from the Drs. They dont advise on diet, so I'm doing it myself.

missdeke Sun 20-Nov-22 11:29:00

Have you tried this, or something similar?
welleasy.co.uk/products/bellygoodness-nomato-sauce-265g?gclid=Cj0KCQiAveebBhD_ARIsAFaAvrFxA5oNrkantjm931TF2re_T8mPIaBBTf8N4t5rgUSwOUzkZxcb_l8aAkOAEALw_wcB

omega1 Sun 20-Nov-22 12:05:32

i have ulcerative colitis so can't eat tomatoes because of the seeds I think so I use Pessato when cooking as it is pure tomatoes without the seeds

grandtanteJE65 Sun 20-Nov-22 12:34:26

I am afraid neither spaghetti bolonese, or any other Italian recipe as a lot of them do use tomatoes will taste right without them, and I am uncertain about chili con carne, but you can make really good curries without tomatoes.

Do you have a good Indian cookery book? Not one toned down to European taste? I have tons of Indians recipes that don't use tomatoes, so I know you can find them.

You can also experiment by just leaving out the tomatoes or tomato paste, perhaps use fresh red peppers instead or a little more ginger than the original recipe.

pinkpeony Sun 20-Nov-22 12:53:13

This is a very tasty recipe from Madhur Jaffrey. I have made it several times. There are a lot of recipes in her books/online that do not use tomatoes. I hope you find something nice. I can’t imagine not having curry. shock

Paperbackwriter Sun 20-Nov-22 13:06:24

Interesting about tomatoes being from the nightshade family. So are potatoes - do those affect the tomato-sufferers too? Just interested!

sandelf Sun 20-Nov-22 14:01:55

Try Kormas, Bhunas, Saag Marsala etc. Do you know whether tomato paste is tolerable? Some tasty ideas in this search. www.google.com/search?q=curry+sauces+no+tomato&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB880GB880&oq=curry+sauces+no+tomato&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30l2j0i390l4.9189j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8