(38 Posts)
Fleurpepper Tue 15-Nov-22 09:53:58

Christmas Dinner
Anybody get stressed about Christmas Dinner ? Read this from a butcher,
I’ve pinched this, but it’s fab!!
😂Just in case anyone is stressing about Christmas Day..............! 😂
Here's my top tip
🎄Christmas Dinner....
I have concluded that the inevitable stress of Christmas dinner is created by adverts, supermarkets and TV chefs...
It's a Sunday dinner for goodness sake!!!
The only difference is that you are allowed to open a bottle of wine before you open the kitchen curtains. 🍷🍷🍷
🙄We do it quite happily 51 weeks of the year but can we the consumers be trusted to manage by ourselves on one day of the year...apparently not!
Here goes...💓
1. Turkey... It's a big fecking chicken that's all, 20 minutes per lb plus 20 minutes at 180 degrees - jobs a good un! Get yourselves a meat thermometer £3 off the Internet poke it in the offending bird if it says 75 degrees or over its cooked!👏🏼
2. Stuffing - regardless of what Jamie Oliver says you do NOT need 2lbs of shoulder of pork, onions breadcrumbs,pine nuts and a shit load of fresh herbs to make stuffing....( no fecking wonder he's bankrupt if thats what he spends to make stuffing!)😜
What you need is Paxo and a kettle!! If you wanna liven it up squeeze 3 sausages out of their skins and mix that in with your Paxo before cooking 😉.
3. Gravy - Jamie Oliver is copping for this one aswell....
Bisto Jamie.... All you need is Bisto!
I ( nor anyone else I know) has got time on Christmas Eve to piss about roasting chicken wings and vegetables, adding stock and flour,cooking it for another half hour, mashing it all up with a potato masher and then straining the whole sorry mess to make gravy 😠😠😠
4. Vegetables...🍆 Never mind faffing round shredding sprouts and frying them with bacon and chestnuts to make them more palatable... If you don't like them don't buy and cook the fecking things!! If your family only eats frozen peas then that's good enough!
5. Roast potatoes... Yes I par boil mine then roast them in goose fat but Aunt Bessie also does the same 😉.
6. Trimmings /Christmas pudding and the like.... Aldi or Lidl!
(oh and while we're on the subject of pudding- if birds custard is what your family likes on the wretched thing then that's fine - you do not need brandy butter /rum sauce etc or anything else that costs a fecking fortune and takes 2 hours to make!)
7. Family....
Children.. Feed the little blighters first separately, if they only want turkey with tomato sauce - fine leave em to it, it doesn't matter. Once they are fed bugger them off to play with their Christmas presents so that YOU can enjoy your dinner in Peace!
Adults... Anyone that can manage to get their sorry arse to your dinner table is also capable of helping to serve up/ sort the kids out/ clear the table /wash up /dry up etc.
And Finally.....
NO ONE.... And I mean no one APART FROM THE COOK IS ALLOWED TO GET PISSED AND FALL ASLEEP BEFORE THE WASHING UP IS DONE!!!
Rant over 😂
🎄Merry Christmas!🎄
Cheers 🍷🍷🍷 Getting you all in the mood.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 15-Nov-22 09:56:34

Very true!

rosie1959 Tue 15-Nov-22 09:57:46

Thanks for posting gave me a laugh and so true

Witzend Tue 15-Nov-22 09:58:40

😂😂 Brilliant! 🎄

I could never understand the Jame O make-ahead gravy - all that faff, when it takes 5 minutes to make proper gravy in the roasting tin!

Smileless2012 Tue 15-Nov-22 10:03:43

Brilliant Fleurgrin.

Lucca Tue 15-Nov-22 10:04:37

I would ignore jamie Oliver too but equally I wouldn’t use
Paxo
Or bisto
Or aunt Bessie

GrannyGravy13 Tue 15-Nov-22 10:07:40

That made me laugh Fleurpepper I have got twenty for Christmas lunch this year including 8 children aged 2 - 14.

Already decided that the little ones can have a Christmas picnic in-front of an appropriate Christmas film in the sitting room.

The two teens will eat with us then when they are finished can retire to the playroom with their new computer games.

We are hoping that this will result in relaxed adults enjoying a leisurely late lunch and not worrying about elbows on tables and amount of veggies the children eat

annsixty Tue 15-Nov-22 10:36:27

Thankyou for posting that.
I had read it before but forgotten it and it made me laugh .
You can do all that Jamie, Delia, Nigella et al advise or do what I am doing for the third year, pay someone else to do it.
I cooked for 50plus years, no more.
I didn’t have to be up at 5:30am this morning to book my Christmas slot as recorded on another thread this morning.
No more wondering if the turkey will be succulent or dry and all the other worries.
It means of course I haven’t had my H with me for the last 3 years, he would never have gone out, but now that I can, I do.

grannydarkhair Tue 15-Nov-22 10:48:26

There was a thread on Mumsnet about Jamie’s gravy, the general consensus was that it was worth all the effort, it really is the best gravy ever. I watched a clip of him making it and tbh, it looked really pale and thin to me. And no, I wasn’t brave enough to say that on Mumsnet 😁

rosie1959 Tue 15-Nov-22 10:56:13

I don't get stressed about Chrismas dinner as I have never cooked one my husband is the budding chef and he enjoys doing it.

hulahoop Tue 15-Nov-22 10:56:23

Very true 😀

TillyTrotter Tue 15-Nov-22 10:59:33

That is a fun take on Christmas dinner, thanks for posting it Fleur .
Despite knowing what it say is basically true, I do tend to throw myself into making an extra special Christmas Day meal and when I see the family’s appreciative faces as they fill their plates it is worth the effort for one day.

Having said that - I did the cooking last year; this year we will be going out and my apron will stay at home! 🤶 🎄

annsixty Tue 15-Nov-22 11:02:16

I must have watched a different episode to you Grannydarkhair
Only yesterday I watched him on a programme called the day before Christmas and the gravy he made then looked like wallpaper paste.
Also his idea of jazzing up sprouts was to add 5 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, he also put this abomination on carrots.
Now I like a sprinkle in my stew or a light shake on cheese on toast but veg drowned in it,never.

Blondiescot Tue 15-Nov-22 11:19:49

At the end of the day, it's true - it is basically just a roast dinner. If you enjoy cooking everything from scratch, then fair enough (I cook almost everything from scratch anyway), but some folk don't have the time or the inclination to do so. If you want to cut a few corners by using ready-made stuffing or gravy granules, what's the problem? As long as everyone enjoys the meal at the end of the day, that's what really matters. No-one's going to quibble about whether granny made the bread sauce from scratch!

Fleurpepper Tue 15-Nov-22 11:24:02

I shall always remember cooking my first family Christmas dinner- my sil, bil and her young teenagers, with a sulky Belgian boy who was staying with them, my two little'uns, my MIL who was a great cook and VERY bossy, and my lovely but strong headed mum- and all of them telling me what to do, but totally differently. In the end I sent them off and said NO-ONE was allowed in the kitchen- and they all had to admit it was excellent!

Would never choose turkey myself, leg of lamb or well aged beef rib. But you do what you have to do.

Our kids always ate with us though, and a bit of everything.

Patsy70 Tue 15-Nov-22 11:25:55

Love it! 😂

CraftyGranny Tue 15-Nov-22 13:06:22

I always ask what everyone wants on their plates, then I can use the leftovers for bubble and squeak the next day with bacon for breakfast. Problem is there are never any roasties left to go in it !

Visgir1 Tue 15-Nov-22 13:55:54

I enjoyed reading that 😂.
Thank you

Oreo Tue 15-Nov-22 14:10:10

That was great grin
Did Father Ted write it?
I’ve always said that Christmas dinner is just a roast dinner with a few add ons.

Urmstongran Tue 15-Nov-22 14:12:35

And yes, at the end of the day, it’s a roast dinner and anyone can only eat till they're full anyway! A plate of delicious hot dinner, good quality meat, not messed with and twiddled around too much is beyond delicious. Warm the plates, serve hot gravy and you can’t go far wrong. I use Paxo stuffing and add a boiled cooked onion and an extra dessert spoonful of sage to lift the taste (thank you mother-in-law 50 years ago).

Christmas crackers on the side of the place settings, a glass of fizz and some Christmas serviettes jazz up the table anyway. Some Christmas music in the background and you’re good to go!

Urmstongran Tue 15-Nov-22 14:14:46

* chop up the boiled onion don’t put it in the dish whole ha!
🤣

Nannarose Tue 15-Nov-22 14:14:49

Yes, it's amusing, and yes, it makes very good points.
BUT you don't need to faff about to make stock on Xmas Eve - you just have to make stock with your left-overs all year round.
And you don't need to buy herbs for stuffing if you grow them in pots, and sage & thyme last all year round.
Even easier if you have a freezer, but I've done this all my adult life, in many different situations.
Fine if you don't want to do those things, I have no great opinion on what others do. But I get mildly annoyed by those who pretend something is a dreadful faff when it doesn't have to be.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 15-Nov-22 14:17:18

I make Jamie Oliver’s gravy a few days ahead and freeze it. I make bread sauce ahead too, and freeze it.

grannypiper Tue 15-Nov-22 14:19:53

Christmas dinner is nothing but a roast dinner with a cracker.

Oldnproud Tue 15-Nov-22 14:27:10

Adults... Anyone that can manage to get their sorry arse to your dinner table is also capable of helping to serve up/ sort the kids out/ clear the table /wash up /dry up etc.

I'm thinking of printing that off on a very large sheet of paper and pinning it where a certain member of the family can't miss it!
😁 😁 😁