Gransnet forums

Food

Stewed steak/beef stew

(69 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 09-Nov-22 21:28:21

I'm having eating problems. But really fancy some hearty beef stew. Something very well cooked, to a softish consistency. But got to bear in mint that I'm not much of a cook.

Has anyone got a SUPER easy, 3 or 4 max ingredient recipe for a beef stew? I like onions but not super keen on carrots.

Thank you!

GagaJo Wed 09-Nov-22 21:29:31

bear in mind (I *did proof read 🙄🙄🙄).

MissAdventure Wed 09-Nov-22 21:32:32

If you've got a slow cooker, buy some casserole mixed veg, then put it all in the slow cooker with some onion gravy.

NanKate Wed 09-Nov-22 22:04:42

Charley Bingham meals are excellent however a bit pricey. There individual Cottage pie is delicious cost about £5.00 for one portion and about £8.50 for two.

I’m not much of a cook either. Snap. 👍

MawtheMerrier Wed 09-Nov-22 22:13:03

Ox cheek or shin are wonderfully tender in stews, you could eat the meat with a teaspoon it is so tender!

BigBertha1 Wed 09-Nov-22 22:30:28

I think you will find something straightforward if you just Google a Mary Berry or Good Housekeeping recipe.

Glorianny Wed 09-Nov-22 22:52:25

I'm afraid I'm a "just chuck it in" sort of cook so don't really do recipes. But if you can
Chop some onions
Trim a pack of supermarket stewing steak and toss in seasoned flour
Fry onions in olive oil or other sort add steak and brown.
Add warm water to cover and stock cube
Add any of these turnip in 1in cubes, carrots in chunks, leeks in 2in bits parsnips in big chunks. Stir well and simmer on top or put into low oven for 2-3 hours stirring regularly.. If liquid is too thin add spoonful of gravy mix.

You can replace stock with tinned tomatoes
Add more liquid and some lentils.
Add red wine and mushrooms.

MaizieD Wed 09-Nov-22 22:56:34

I don't like carrot in beef stew, either. I think they have an overwhelming taste that swamps everything else. I'd serve them as a separate vegetable.

My standard (non cookbook) beef stew is onion, a bit of garlic, celery, tomato puree and mushrooms and water. With a splash or two of red wine if there's any open and perhaps some mixed herbs..

I don't think you can go wrong with those basic ingredients. and you can always add other things to them if you want to.

I cook it in my pressure cooker and it takes about 15 minutes preparation time and 20 - 25 minutes cooking at pressure. Alternatively it could all go in the slow cooker for a few hours. Thicken the gravy with cornflour at the end and season to taste if necessary..

MaizieD Wed 09-Nov-22 22:58:46

I'm afraid I'm a "just chuck it in" sort of cook so don't really do recipes

A woman after my own heart, Glorrianny grin

M0nica Wed 09-Nov-22 23:08:28

Equal amounts of chopped root vegetables and meat, hot water and an oxo cube. Heat together, put in a slow cooker and leave it there for 8 hours. The meat will fall apart on the fork. Alternatively 4 hours in a casserole in the oven at R3

Has anyone got a SUPER easy, 3 or 4 max ingredient recipe for a beef stew

I think the above is as close to meeting your requirements as is possible.

nanna8 Wed 09-Nov-22 23:24:21

Chuck a bit of red wine in, too - perfect.

sukie Thu 10-Nov-22 02:58:41

This recipe always turns out well and though it has a few more ingredients than you want, it's fairly simple. You could leave out the carrots and I've never added thyme as dh doesn't like it. The video is helpful too.
www.jennycancook.com/recipes/beef-stew/

nadateturbe Thu 10-Nov-22 04:19:22

I use the recipe sukie posted but I substitute a glass of red wine for some stock. And I add mushrooms with the onion instead of the other vegetables and I cook potatoes separately (don't like starch from potatoes in stew). I cook for 3 hours then another half hour with lid off. Stir now and again and add water if needed.
I rarely cook, don't enjoy it, and I find this very easy. The wine really adds to the flavour.

discoqueen Thu 10-Nov-22 04:35:35

Post is making me hungry! Tbh I cheat and use a Colmans mix. Basically browned beef, softened onion, vegetables, for me carrot and swede.
Very important part, dumplings. 😊 Bit reluctant to add to already high cholesterol, even with lean beef and made them with stork instead of beef suet. Not sure tbh if it's any healthier. Trans fats? Have it on v good authority than vegetable suet works. Easy to make and just add 30 mins before end of cooking time. Lid off 10 mins before to brown them.
Not the most fuel friendly dish, took 2 hours plus in fan oven but OMG delicious. Sure pressure cookers, maybe slow cookers would be easier on energy costs.
Don't neglect, or forget, the humble dumpling. 😁

growstuff Thu 10-Nov-22 04:39:07

nanna8

or beer

growstuff Thu 10-Nov-22 04:40:03

and Lea and Perrins if you like it (which my OH does)

Whiff Thu 10-Nov-22 06:45:24

Beef shin or brisket makes the best stew needs 3 hours to simmer but it's worth it. When I make any stew always use pearl barley,carrots as they give a lovely flavour,onions or leeks,sweet potatoes as I don't like white potatoes in stews ,butternut squash, courgettes and mushrooms plus beef Oxo, parsley ,thyme and salt and pepper. I leave the piece of shin or unrolled brisket in a whole piece you need to go to a butchers for this and once fallings to bits I flake it with a fork so every mouth of stew has meat and veg. I never thicken my stews. But I make enough to last 6 portions. I put each portion in an oven proof dish and it thickens in the fridge so always add some water before reheating in the oven..

If you want dumplings use veg suet . To 4oz of SR flour add 2oz suet enough water to make a stiff paste and put dollops on top of the simmering stew spaced out with lid on cook 15-20 mins until a screwer comes out clean. Herbs can be added to mix if liked.

Just make sure of the water levels every hour and top up as needed.

starshine Thu 10-Nov-22 07:50:55

I did mine in the slow cooker yesterday - stewing steak, onions, swede, carrots, salt and pepper and a can of beer - no extra stock - and it was my best ever effort!

Sago Thu 10-Nov-22 08:42:18

Never just chuck wine in a casserole!
You should use the wine to de glaze the pan you have used to fry the meat and onions.
The wine must reach a high temperature to burn off the alcohol.
Wine will work well with mushrooms and onions with a bouquet garni of thyme and bay.
If you are using root vegetables leave out the wine and add a dollop of French mustard.

growstuff Thu 10-Nov-22 08:48:27

starshine

I did mine in the slow cooker yesterday - stewing steak, onions, swede, carrots, salt and pepper and a can of beer - no extra stock - and it was my best ever effort!

That's how I do mine. I add celery if I have any, but it's optional. I batch cook and freeze it.

growstuff Thu 10-Nov-22 08:49:47

And we eat it out of pasta bowls! grin

Dickens Thu 10-Nov-22 09:21:24

growstuff

And we eat it out of pasta bowls! grin

... snap!

Oldnproud Thu 10-Nov-22 10:10:48

If you want super-easy, use tinned stewed steak in gravy (don't go for the cheapest though). Just tip it into the pan when the veg are nearly ready, as all it needs is to be heated up!

Glorianny Thu 10-Nov-22 10:56:58

growstuff

nanna8

or beer

Guinness is good! ---Oh d***I know have that song in my head
"Guinness is good for you etc"

As far as not just chucking wine in. Isn't that what people like Floyd used to do?

Jaxjacky Thu 10-Nov-22 10:58:29

I too just chuck it in, stewing steak, onions, swede, parsnip, sprig of thyme and either red wine or Guinness with a generous splash of Lea and Perrins, plenty of black pepper. Slow cooker on auto for 5/6 hours, thicken with cornflour if required.