Gransnet forums

Food

Asda offer free soup , roll and unlimited tea and coffee for over 60s

(77 Posts)
Floradora9 Thu 06-Oct-22 17:41:30

corporate.asda.com/newsroom/2022/10/06/asda-launches-1-cafe-meal-deal-for-over-60s-to-help-with-cost-of-living

In november and December you can have a free soup, roll and a drink in most stores. This is a good offer from them I think you could meet your friends and spend a couple of hours warm and fed. Bit sad when you think this is back to soup kitchens really but generous all the same.

GagaJo Thu 06-Oct-22 18:23:46

Except our flippin' Asda has a Macdonalds in it, not a cafe.

henetha Thu 06-Oct-22 18:25:41

Our Asda cafe is now a Costa.
Darn it. !

Elusivebutterfly Thu 06-Oct-22 18:56:55

No Asda anywhere near me so not an option for me.
Other supermarkets which used to have cafes closed them since lockdown.

Mollygo Thu 06-Oct-22 19:05:11

It’s a great idea. Our ASDA cafe, which is not that big, was so packed today there was no room for the ‘kids eat for £1’ families around 4pm.

Grandmafrench Thu 06-Oct-22 19:08:05

In case anyone doesn’t read the link, Floradora, it’s a good offer - but soup, a roll and unlimited tea and coffee is £1. It’s not free. With 205 Asda stores nationwide there will hopefully be lots of over 60’s who’ll benefit ?

BlueBelle Thu 06-Oct-22 19:28:56

Looking forward to meeting my 86 year old close friend for a shopping trip with soup roll and coffee for £1 at Asda
Our local cinema is doing all tickets at £4.90 and Monday morning coffee morning so the latest film with coffee and biscuits added on
Look forward to trying that too
Got to be some perks to being over 60 ??

Floradora9 Thu 06-Oct-22 21:27:38

Sorry I knew it was a pound to get it I was too keen to share the news .

Prentice Thu 06-Oct-22 21:45:27

What a good offer for £1 this is.I wonder how they know you are over 60 though? Bus Pass?
As I am over 20 years older than that I think there would be no challenge to me sadly.

Redhead56 Thu 06-Oct-22 22:06:32

It's a nice offer from Asda and it's kind of you to share the info. I am sure a lot of people with benefit from it.

silverlining48 Thu 06-Oct-22 22:53:03

Sadly our nearest 3 Asda’s have closed their cafes.

Esspee Fri 07-Oct-22 00:08:29

Don’t all rush to take advantage of this offer. It doesn’t start until November. ☕️ ? ?

Rosie51 Fri 07-Oct-22 00:31:05

10 miles as the crow flies(with a multitude of Asdas in between!) why oh why do they think this is a good marketing strategy?? I get totally fed up of supermarkets promoting these initiatives that are only available to a select few. Do they really think it makes us regard them fondly?

Prentice Fri 07-Oct-22 08:55:58

Mind you, soup and unlimited amounts of tea and coffee for older people,I do hope they have plenty of loos there.

henetha Fri 07-Oct-22 10:28:15

My nearest Asda is five miles away, so it wouldn't make economic sense to drive there, would it. Unless I was doing the weekly shop at the same time of course. But, as I said, it's now a Costa, so no good anyway.
Sorry for rambling... I was thinking out loud. smile

tanith Fri 07-Oct-22 11:13:42

I have an few Asda within a short drive I don’t generally shop there but might give it a try when it starts. Once a week it would make a change.

Lona Fri 07-Oct-22 11:42:29

People who can't afford to heat their homes aren't going to want to leave though. I wonder what strategy Asda has for moving people on.

volver Fri 07-Oct-22 11:46:21

Rosie51

10 miles as the crow flies(with a multitude of Asdas in between!) why oh why do they think this is a good marketing strategy?? I get totally fed up of supermarkets promoting these initiatives that are only available to a select few. Do they really think it makes us regard them fondly?

why oh why do they think this is a good marketing strategy??

More people through the door, more likely to buy their weekly essentials there.

Gets them on the news, so more people are likely to say they are a good company and decide to shop there, even once in a while.

Make ASDA look good to their shareholders.

Makes a point of difference between them and their competitors.

It's a brilliant strategy, if you ask me.

Esspee Fri 07-Oct-22 14:30:50

Like Lona I am wondering how they will manage to get those customers to go home to allow their normal paying customers to get their usual meals.

Esspee Fri 07-Oct-22 14:37:51

I went to IKEA yesterday morning and the car park was packed. O.H. on chatting to their meet and greet employee on entry learned that they were mostly there for breakfast. They have a cooked breakfast for £2!
We went into the restaurant for a coffee and had a hot drink plus cinnamon bun for 30p each!

Nannagarra Fri 07-Oct-22 14:59:45

Asda (which is not local to us) was the only supermarket with available delivery slots when we first went into lockdown. For that we were grateful as, quite possibly, were many of our neighbours: loyalty to Asda is apparent on an almost daily basis judging by the regularity and frequency of the delivery van’s appearance.
We have never had a problem with substitutions or refunds plus we gain Asda rewards.
I applaud this latest initiative and hope that those local to a participating store reap the benefit.

MissAdventure Fri 07-Oct-22 16:19:50

I think it's a great idea. smile

HousePlantQueen Fri 07-Oct-22 16:22:59

It's a great initiative which will also be good publicity for Asda, good on them. It's a pity some have to be so curmudgeonly about it.

Callistemon21 Fri 07-Oct-22 16:28:44

The nearest Asda (about 20 minutes away) doesn't have a café -typical.
Will they do takeaway ?

Shirls52000 Sun 09-Oct-22 11:13:22

Sadly our Asda closed their café years ago