Gransnet forums

Food

Another success for the Airfryer.

(131 Posts)
annsixty Tue 20-Sep-22 09:48:55

I don’t know if this has already been posted but yesterday I cooked one petit pain in the airfryer as an experiment and it was fine.
I do like one for lunch with soup or ham and cheese but thought the oven was expensive to use just for one.
I put it on for 8mins but checked after 6 and it was crispy and golden.
I am trying to adapt as much as I can from using the oven.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Sep-22 09:52:57

Oh I will be interested to read this thread.

I bought one recently and my first effort resulted in burnt broccoli and peppers.

But I’m getting better I think.

I did do a piece of roast beef which was not really more than ok .

It wasn’t nearly as tender not had the depth of flavour I usually get by roasting in the oven.

I will keep persevering as it has to earn its keep.

dragonfly46 Tue 20-Sep-22 10:02:17

I have cooked a whole chicken in mine and it was successful. It is also very good for oven chips but I find it difficult to cook a whole meal in it. It is much easier with the oven and hob as I like things ready at the same time.
Also the slow cooker is not very efficient and unless you heat it up first it will not cook.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Sep-22 10:34:11

Tips are useful, as I have thought it would be most useful for hot pots, casseroles, stews and stuff like that.

Nandalot Tue 20-Sep-22 10:35:00

Bought one recently. Used frequently by DD for warming croissants, saves heating the oven. Homemade chicken nuggets for DGC were a great success. Homemade sweet potato fries not so much! I bought the dual basket for flexibility.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Sep-22 10:44:40

Oh my sweet potato fries were successful, so I reckon if I can do it……….

I drizzled in oil and sea salt flakes before cooking and kept a firm eye on them.

MiniMoon Tue 20-Sep-22 10:44:49

I recently bought the ninja foodi max pro health grill. It has a built in temperature probe and preset settings for different meat and fish. It also bakes and air fries. I'm just finding my way around it and already have had great success with steaks and pork chops. I baked scones in it too, which were pretty good.
My ninja foodi pressure cooker is used on an almost daily basis. I have only had my oven on once in about three weeks.

Charleygirl5 Tue 20-Sep-22 10:46:03

One of my best successes was cooking sausages in my small air fryer. No spluttering of fat around the cooker and surrounding walls. I cooked corn on the cob and French fries in it.

Mushrooms and black pudding were cooked on the hob as I also like everything cooked at the same time.

If something is supposed to be oven cooked, I am still learning but I half the time.

Caleo Tue 20-Sep-22 11:01:05

Is an air fryer better than a small table top oven?

Elegran Tue 20-Sep-22 11:08:38

I found sausages very good in my Halogen oven, too. I spread out a whole pack on the rack and cooked them all at once. I turned the at half-time but the didn't really need it, as the fan sent the grill heat all around them. evenly brown all over.

Part cooked Kaiser semmel rolls from Iceland for 7 or 8 minutes were also good, and Iceland's minted lamb kebabs were delicious. They have now discontinued the lamb kebabs (no more barbecues?) Tesco took them over briefly but then stopped. A couple of days ago I visited a new Lidl near me - joy oh joy, they have them there! Have stocked up.

PollyDolly Tue 20-Sep-22 11:16:41

I have two slow cookers on right now. One has double quantity cashew chicken in it and the other has a gammon joint in it. I also bring rice to the boil and then turn of the heat leaving the saucepan lid on tightly - doesn't work so well with brown rice which takes much longer to cook anyway. If I do need to use the oven I will cook something for that day and the following day at the same time - sausages reheat really well in a pan of onion gravy.

Elegran Tue 20-Sep-22 11:18:15

Caleo When I was looking, I thought the Halogen oven was better than the air-fryer with drawer.It does all the things an air fryer does, but has a bigger cavity. It is a sort of fan grill with instant heat-up (more or less - you can heat it for a couple of minutes frst, to get it off to a good start, but it isn't essential) .

You can see through the glass body whether things are getting brown, and take suitable action. A traditional electric table-top oven doesn't have the fan to even up the temperature. I have hardly used my proper (fan) oven since I bought the Halogen fan one.

If you get one with a lift-off lid you have to put it down somewhere when you open it up, and the lid is about 12 inches across - and has the very hot halogen element in it. I got one with a hinged lid which is far better than a separate one. but you do need the height for opening. Measure where your top copboards start.

Caleo Tue 20-Sep-22 11:44:56

Good stuff Elegran. My faithful table top oven may need replacing soon as it's about ten years or more old. It is unreliable for temperature which in view of your info may well be due to its lack of a fan.

I will have to measure the Halogen table top oven. I have a IKEA kitchen unit in the kitchen where no cupboards or shelves above, and it has a strong metal top surface. I have noted a table top oven needs to be where there is space for at least one good trivet in front of it.

Caleo Tue 20-Sep-22 11:49:18

Elegran PS. Please tell me does the Halogen come with from opening? I am too short to manage top opening.

LtEve Tue 20-Sep-22 11:59:02

I've cooked individual chicken pies in my air fryer. I have some single portion enamel dishes and make them with homemade shortcrust pastry. I haven't tried puff pastry yet, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. I've browned shepherd's and fish pie too. If I'm doing one for DH too, I find one keeps warm for the time it takes to do the other one, especially if I'm cooking some extra veg on the hob as the waiting one can sit at the back.
I did a slice of bacon in it this morning for a bacon sandwich, much cleaner than the grill or frying pan and no need to turn or add extra fat.

Charleygirl5 Tue 20-Sep-22 12:11:23

I have not mastered the art of cooking bacon in my air fryer. The one and only time I tried it was massacred- shrivelled up and burnt. I do not like bacon overcooked.

LtEve Tue 20-Sep-22 12:14:17

I keep a close eye on anything I cook until I work out the timings, mine was a thick slice of back bacon and it too about 6 minutes possibly a bit longer as I like it well done.

Elegran Tue 20-Sep-22 12:21:14

It takes less time than you expect, Charleygirl Keep watching it through the glass and note for next time how long until it looks done.

Charleygirl5 Tue 20-Sep-22 12:24:51

Elegran I have no glass through which to watch. I have to pull out the cooker each time I want to check or stir.

kissngate Tue 20-Sep-22 12:37:42

I bought a small AF recently on offer as it wasn't a brand name. So far had success with sweet potato fries ( 9 mins 200) turning halfway. Also bacon 4 slices (195 for 6 mins) again turning halfway, aubergine crisps same as sweet potato. Not perfect were 2 chicken breasts at 200 for 20 mins - overcooked. Also ruined a good cauliflower (burnt outside raw in) despite trying twice at different settings. Interested in settings others use to cook chicken pieces as my af too small for whole chicken.

Elegran Tue 20-Sep-22 13:02:22

Caleo The round glass halogen ovens seem all to be top opening. How tall are you? I am 5 ft 4ins and I don't have any trouble. Mine is about 8 ins to the top of the glass body when the lid is open - 13 ins with the lid closed, and 23 ins to the top of the open lid.

Do you have a large mixing bowl that you can try out on the work surface at that height to see whether you can reach into it? Bear in mind that what you are cooking will be on one of the two racks - their heights are 1 in and 3 ins, and the glass body itself is already held one and a half ins above the work surface, so you will be lifting things out from at least two and a half inches above the work surface, and over the wall of the glass body 8 ins above the work surface. You aren't reaching really deep into a well.

The lid clicks to hold it in the open position, so it won't fall down onto your hand.

You get a clever pair of tongs with mine that lifts out a round dish or round rack very efficiently. I keep a knitted pot holder that I lay onto the edge of the glass body at the right-hand side, in case I brush against it - it does get hot!

It is quite deep front-to-back, not much room for a trivet in front. I keep one to the left of the machine for putting hot things down on.

Look at the photos on Amazon. You can see the general proportions of them. www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Halogen+oven&tag=gransnetforum-21 Almost all of them have lift-off lids. I am very glad I bought one with a hinged lid, but it was dearer than the lift offs (more engineering, I suppose) It is an www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Accessories-Self-Cleaning-Temperature/dp/B00BXIHY8E?tag=gransnetforum-21 £82.99

There is a detachable extender ring which adds a couple of inches to the height, but you don't have to have it in place unless you need it. It is delivered with the extender ring stored round the glass body, just leave it in that position for normal use, then you don't have to find somewhere to keep it!

All in all I think it is a great device.

Elegran Tue 20-Sep-22 13:04:54

Charleygirl5

Elegran I have no glass through which to watch. I have to pull out the cooker each time I want to check or stir.

Ah! A benefit of the glass-bodied halogen ovens over the metal air-fryers. I do like being able to watch progress.

Elegran Tue 20-Sep-22 13:10:40

Caleo - Just seen this on Ebay!

www.ebay.co.uk/p/1104539418

Elegran Tue 20-Sep-22 13:12:30

Cancel my last post - the title says it has a hinged lid, but reading more detail it is a lift-off one.

MiniMoon Tue 20-Sep-22 13:31:28

We've just finished lunch. I air fried some freshly cut potato wedges tossed in little oil with salt, pepper and smoked paprika in my Ninja grill. I baked Co-op hunter chicken in the Ninja foodi and cooked Brussels sprouts on the hob. All timed to be ready together. Delicious.