Gransnet forums

Food

Costco

(24 Posts)
Grannyheartache Thu 15-Sep-22 19:50:05

Does anyone pay the annual subscription to Costco? Is it worth it? Do you save money?

Blondiescot Thu 15-Sep-22 19:57:23

We have had a Costco membership for years now, but my husband runs his own business and buys a great deal of his supplies from there. We buy a lot of our bulk household products there - toilet rolls, kitchen roll, washing powder, etc - and definitely see big savings on those. You can definitely save money, but bear in mind that you do usually have to buy in bulk so you need to have somewhere to store everything. We buy big blocks of cheese too, and their meat is usually very good quality, but again, you need space to keep it. It can be easy to get carried away and buy things you don't really need as well - although not if you're with my OH, as he just marches straight to what he wants, no browsing around when you're with him!

Grannyheartache Thu 15-Sep-22 20:05:03

Helpful. Thank you!

SunshineSally Thu 15-Sep-22 20:12:06

Yes I have an annual subscription and usually go once a month. Their meat and veg is very good although obviously everything is in bulk. You do need to be savvy about prices though as I’ve been caught out a few times when other shops have had special offers. Plus it’s easy to rack up a huge bill - especially as the trollies are so huge! I tend to split up what I’m buying so I’m not buying everything at once and I freeze a lot -a 1kg block of cheese can easily be cut into smaller portions and frozen. I usually buy the frozen chicken breasts - they are big breasted chicks ? ! and the fish is great too.
Plus plenty of parking and space around each parking space!

notgran Thu 15-Sep-22 22:21:16

I have had Costco membership for a number of years. I got the initial membership subscription as a freebie, since then we have paid it yearly.However we get each year a small
% back of what we have spent. This is offset towards that year's subscription. During the pandemic I felt safer shopping there because of all their safeguards. We buy a lot of things in bulk as we have storage space and it means we don't go shopping very often apart from using the local shops for fresh goods. ( I am a fan)

icanhandthemback Thu 15-Sep-22 22:25:33

I love going to Costco for a look around and it is great if you are having a party but I'm not sure that it is the best value for a lot of things. The petrol is usually a very good price though.

Hithere Thu 15-Sep-22 22:49:23

Love costco, highly recommend it

Welshwife Thu 15-Sep-22 23:17:01

I have been a member for years and find it good. I am usually able to accommodate the quantity sold and if you are catering for a family there is no problem.
For a while we had their executive membership for which you pay a higher annual fee but you get a % of your spend as a voucher. It always more than covered the cost of my membership. I only stopped that more expensive one as we moved to France but I do still stock up there when we go back to visit family. They have great things at Christmas.

Grannyheartache Fri 16-Sep-22 07:22:54

Thanks for all the advice. I think we’ll give it a go. ?

Visgir1 Fri 16-Sep-22 08:32:41

Yes.. Give it a go for a year..I have had a Card for a few years. My local one is a bit of a drive but I think worth it.

Spice101 Fri 16-Sep-22 08:39:18

Yea I have a membership and Yes I save money - quite a bit on some items. I buy paper towel in bulk -12 rolls, laundry detergent 6 litres is about $8 cheaper than in the supermarket and the coffee pods I use are much cheaper

Not everything is in bulk although the containers are mostly larger than what is in the supermarket.

Not everything is cheaper but there is a large selection of things that you cannot get elsewhere

My cleaner goes every couple of weeks and she now gets in touch while she is there to see if I want anything. Saves me from buying things I didn't know I needed!

glammanana Fri 16-Sep-22 09:52:33

I have had my card for a few years now and shop every 6 months for stocking up with the likes of loo rolls/kitchen towels I also love their party foods & cakes for special occasions their petrol is the cheapest in the area.

annodomini Fri 16-Sep-22 10:14:27

I used to have Costco membership as a member of a union. I've let it lapse in recent years. My downsized house has little room for storage. The Costco mattress, now on my spare bed, is still in good condition. When I bought it, I discovered that I couldn't get it into a Ford Fiesta and had to pay to have it delivered! I think the last time I used the card was to buy equipment and provisions for a barbecue I organised for my DGD, then 10 years old, and her friends as her birthday, at new year was not conducive to outdoor parties.

Oldbat1 Fri 16-Sep-22 11:13:23

We had a card for years but have let it lapse now. Used to love Costco just browsing and finding “stuff” you didn’t really need. Husband used to love the free food stalls handing out loads of different tasters. Great place if catering for party or wedding. We used it for dd wedding. I think you can browse before you decide if you want to join. We always got good deal on car tyres. The optical dept was popular.

Nannarose Fri 16-Sep-22 14:09:27

We let ours lapse recently. We are an hour's drive away, but used to tie a visit in with seeing a family member who then moved!
So no longer worthwhile for 2 of us.
Yes, they will give you a 'visitor's ticket' to look around. Excellent quality. It's worth the membership if you are catering for a big event, as Oldbat says, or even for a 'big ticket' item (but check it's in stock!)

Shinamae Sat 17-Sep-22 22:28:41

Never even heard of it but just googled it and my nearest one is in Cardiff 44 miles away…?

1summer Sat 17-Sep-22 22:40:45

Yes I think its worth getting a card. Recently petrol has been much cheaper than anywhere else although long queues. Don’t buy much household stuff but fresh meat, fish bacon, cheese brilliant. Tinned stuff good, especially tomatoes. Cakes, baked goods, sandwich platters excellent for parties etc.
love the rotisserie chickens but apparently unhealthy!

karmalady Wed 28-Sep-22 18:14:25

mine is 45 miles away and a membership is often good value. I don`t go often but some big ticket items will save on membership cost in one trip but admitedly I did think twice this year.

Mamardoit Wed 28-Sep-22 18:39:41

We have one just a few miles away and share membership with one of our sons. We have been buying petrol there for sometime and shop in the store every 6-8 weeks. The only thing I won't buy there is the fresh fruit and veg. I like to buy local grown if I can.

MawtheMerrier Wed 28-Sep-22 18:53:38

A friend and I shared a card some years ago but I can’t say I found I saved money.
Giant size quantities of washing powder or tins of tomatoes may have been cheaper based on the unit price but I used to find I spent three figures and still didn’t have anything for tea!
I was also the most miserable shopping experience ever The atmosphere was redolent of a warehouse, and I particularly disliked the way they “checked” your trolley on leaving!
Aldi and Lidl are like Harrods Food Hall by comparison.
No, give me local markets, or actual shops where possible and real human beings serving me!

BlueBelle Wed 28-Sep-22 19:28:11

My nearest Costco is 130 plus miles away

BlueBelle Wed 28-Sep-22 19:30:17

Same for Ocado about 130/140 miles away

ElaineI Wed 28-Sep-22 21:28:31

We share membership with DD and Sil. I get my petrol there too and currently it is 10p less a litre? than Tesco. We bulk buy loo rolls, kitchen rolls and tissues and get quite a few things as well. Get petrol twice a month and visit monthly for other things. Bulk buys last at least 6 months. DD has had quite a few bigger items including TV and we have bought wooden play house and children seats which are still in use 8 years later.

MawtheMerrier Wed 28-Sep-22 21:45:40

BlueBelle

Same for Ocado about 130/140 miles away

????
Ocado are a grocery delivery firm