Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

BT is abandoning landlines

(18 Posts)
MollyF Wed 17-Nov-21 18:06:38

I was told this but am not sure if it's true. Because so many young people only use mobiles, they often only have a landline in order to get on the internet. Because of this, BT are now offering connections that are internet only, so people will be forced to use mobiles and landlines will fall out of use. I live in London and the sound quality of mobiles is appalling. I really hope this isn't true.

Casdon Wed 17-Nov-21 18:12:03

It is true, BT are ceasing the analogue system in 2025, and moving over to the digital voice system. I know because I’ve just received a second generation Smart Hub for free to replace my broadband receiver.

BigBertha1 Wed 17-Nov-21 18:14:32

We have one too

MollyF Wed 17-Nov-21 18:46:06

I don't really understand the significance of analogue vs digital. All I want to know is will mobiles be the only option?

sodapop Wed 17-Nov-21 18:48:57

Orange are not supplying any more land lines here in France either.

MollyF Wed 17-Nov-21 18:49:27

I've just switched to Fibre and got a new hub and a modem. Two separate bits of equipment. Is this what you mean?
I really hate talking on mobiles.

Casdon Wed 17-Nov-21 18:50:36

Your home phone will work through your internet connection. It’s not the same network as mobile phones, which work through radio waves, via phone masts spread throughout the country.

grandMattie Wed 17-Nov-21 18:51:49

Our landline on speaker is the onlly way I can understand any calls. The mobile reception is appalling from here.
If they are to cancel landlines, surely the moblie reception needs to be vastly improved?

Pittcity Wed 17-Nov-21 19:20:56

It'll be like when TV went digital. You'll might need to change things but it will soon be the norm.
There will still be landlines but the sound will be carried in a different way.

Cold Wed 17-Nov-21 19:23:07

There was a thread about this yesterday

I live in Sweden and our landline and bad broadband lines were cut in 2018

We still have the home phone, with the same number, but it is an internet phone now, and we get our internet via air fiberband

MerylStreep Wed 17-Nov-21 19:29:11

MollyF
As I said on another thread: you don’t have to have landline to receive the internet. I haven’t had a landline for 20 yrs.
How do you think I’m communicating with you now?
You’ll get used to it.

M0nica Wed 17-Nov-21 20:14:36

What about those with poor mobile reception (in England and France)? I saw someone today standing in their garden using their mobile phone because it does not work well in the house.

Casdon Wed 17-Nov-21 20:18:20

You won’t need to use your mobile phone in the house, your normal home phone will connect via your broadband receiver instead of via a landline.

JaneJudge Wed 17-Nov-21 20:21:24

I suppose it will stop the nightmares of a serial killer cutting your phone lines

M0nica Wed 17-Nov-21 20:31:58

But broadband isn't always reliable either.

Casdon Wed 17-Nov-21 20:41:33

You’re right Monica. I suspect for BT broadband customers it won’t be so much of an issue because they are providing upgraded receivers which should have better reception, for free, but for those with other broadband receivers it could be a problem, and for those who have a landline but no broadband at all I don’t know what will happen.

Missedout Wed 17-Nov-21 21:52:24

Please note that, for most older homes that use a router to provide access to the internet, the signals are sent through a copper cable. The copper cable came first, providing analogue signals for a (landline) phone. With the growth and availability of the internet, the copper cable was also used to provide broadband digital signals at higher frequencies which are terminated on a router.

Now digital voice is prevalent, the old analogue voice network is cumbersome and has disadvantages. The analogue voice network will be switched off in 2025 but digital voice has been delivered over the internet for many years and this will carry on. For those using the old, analogue phones (these are the landline phones), the digital voice signals will need to be amended for landline phones using a converter. I believe that the provider will be offering that service as part of the switch over. Analogue phones require a small electrical current to be delivered to them, also along the copper cable - it allows for emergency calls. Removing this capability has implications for analogue phones so a battery back-up provision is likely too. However, although the analogue voice service is to be switched off, there will be provision for those who prefer 'landline' services. You won't be forced to use mobile phones.

Copper cable has been superseded by optic fibre and this is being rolled out at speed and can be terminated in the house, depending on build and difficulties in connections. If you are using optic fibre, cable TV (with internet connection), or in rare cases satellite to make your phone calls, you probably don't have a landline. Otherwise you have a cable into your house that is capable of providing landline services. Some use landline services and some don't but a copper cable into your premises means that you are capable of getting landline services, even if you don't know it.

nadateturbe Wed 17-Nov-21 22:05:51

Thanks for explaining all that Missedout. Now I understand.confused