Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Adverts

(23 Posts)
Leavesden Wed 05-May-21 13:40:54

My husband and I usually put the television on about 4 o’clock, and we hate the adverts that are on at that time we always mute them now as it’s all adverts for funeral plans, getting insurance to help our love ones, stroke symptoms and pleading for money for charities. We live on state pension so can’t afford to give to these causes however much they say it is needed. They are all depressing constantly reminding you you’re not long for the grave !

Judy54 Wed 05-May-21 14:31:26

Hello Leavesden
I agree with you. We deal with it by watching everything through the recorder and fast forwarding through the adverts. When people talk to us about the latest adverts we don't have a clue because we never watch them. Perhaps it is something that you might like to try.

yggdrasil Wed 05-May-21 15:17:11

Watch the Repair shop on BBC. Best programme on the tv and no adverta:-)

Doodledog Wed 05-May-21 15:43:17

I find them amusing in their awfulness ?

Funeral plans, over 50 plans, equity release, erectile dysfunction/vaginal dryness cures, ear wax dissolvers, walking frames, orthopaedic chairs, wide-fitting shoes, incontinence aids, easy-in-and-out baths, stair lifts, the list goes on.

The one that does bother me, however, is the wordsearch 'competition' that costs £17 to enter, when the prize is £10,000. It is such a scam that I don't know how it is allowed. The answer is so obvious that anyone watching will get it straight away, and the voice-over concentrates on the fact that the entry call lasts for one minute, instead of the small print that gives the cost of the call. As far as I can see there is no indication of the odds on winning, which I thought was a legal requirement, and nor can I see anything about how long the competition runs. They are probably available if you go online or send off for copies of the terms and conditions, which I doubt many people will do.

Amberone Wed 05-May-21 15:45:32

Judy54 we do that too. Very rarely see adverts. If we happen to watch something on a channel that shows ads we do what we always used to do and use that time for a loo break or to make tea or coffee. Ad breaks have got so long now that you could almost have a complete meal while they're on.

25Avalon Wed 05-May-21 15:48:27

Quite agree about the word search competition Doodledog. A complete con if ever there was. Dh got excited he got the answer (he is useless at that kind of thing) until I pointed out it was just to extract money for something anyone could do, even him!

BlueBelle Wed 05-May-21 16:04:31

I completely blank out when they are on and have no interest in them and somehow manage to not notice them on the whole I ve never bought anything through listening to an advert

Mapleleaf Tue 11-May-21 14:34:30

Oh, and aren't so many of these adverts saccharine sickly! They are truly cringeworthy.

allsortsofbags Tue 11-May-21 15:13:32

We get fed up of them and are turning the TV off more and more.

However, my sister-in-law who is 60+ lives on her own and is a lower limb amputee (lost a leg when she was 13) gets really angry at the assisted bathing ads.

She's always saying they want to try her routine for getting a shower. For her it's there's no waltzing into a massive shower in a huge bathroom, she wonders how they'd really manage. Can't say I blame her as they aren't very realistic.

As for the begging ones, well... We've looked up some of the salaries for these charities and that's not why we contribute however much emotional blackmail they use in their ads.

We give to a few local charities as their staff are mainly volunteers not highly paid executives and we know most of what we give gets to where it's intended with the minimum used for running costs.

And I am sick of the music many of them use, I think I'm getting to be a grumpy old woman :-) Or it was too much TV in lockdown.

25Avalon Tue 11-May-21 21:20:56

Dh uses the mute button whilst the ads are on. I use it to nip out and do all sorts of little jobs, or go on GN.

GoldenLady Thu 02-Sep-21 21:36:27

I'm in America, so I'm not sure what TV alternatives you have available in Britain. I got so fed up with the constant commercials that I started watching only streaming channels, advert-free, and some of the channels are free of charge. The ones I like best are not free (Netflix, Prime, Hulu) but the cost is minimal and well worth it.

I do watch the news on CNN, which unfortunately does have adverts, lots of them. So my finger automatically goes to the Mute button when they come on.

LullyDully Fri 03-Sep-21 08:04:31

I get very cross with the one showing animals another countries, particularly the donkeys whose " hearts are broken". Such tripe.
Also such happy 50 year olds paying for their funerals. More tripe.

Septimia Fri 03-Sep-21 08:59:35

I agree with what's already been said about these adverts.

It crossed my mind, though, that if so many of us think they're rubbish and ignore them, the advertisers must be paying out lots of money for nothing!

timetogo2016 Fri 03-Sep-21 09:08:28

Totaly agree Leavesden.
Dh and i mute the adverts as soon as they come on.
They are so depressing too.
If we gave to all of those charities we would be broke and homeless,and no doubt we would get no help.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 03-Sep-21 09:09:10

We tend to record anything we might want to watch that has adverts. I can’t abide adverts - in fact ITV was banned when I was a child. Mum and dad thought it was common with all those adverts! So we watch things at our leisure and fast forward when required.

Jackiest Fri 03-Sep-21 09:12:21

We may think we are ignoring them but how much influence do they have on our subconscious and influence our decisions.

Industry does not normally pay out millions of pounds for nothing.

FarNorth Fri 03-Sep-21 09:51:47

Presumably the, probably small, percentage of people who are influenced by the ads make it worthwhile for the advertisers.

Shinamae Fri 03-Sep-21 09:53:17

Don’t get me started, …. ?…Main one I detest at the moment is for veri sure alarms, I think all their advertisements have been dire but this one particularly annoys me. It starts with “ did you ring dear?”…?‍♀️..

henetha Fri 03-Sep-21 09:55:11

I go to the loo during the first ad break on Tipping Point, then make a cup of tea during the second one, then try to deide what to cook for dinner during the third. I agree, they are a pain and very depressing.

henetha Fri 03-Sep-21 09:55:33

decide... typo, sorry.

Floradora9 Fri 03-Sep-21 15:40:54

We record the programmes we like which have adverts and skip them when watching later on . It saves lots of time and annoyance .

M0nica Fri 03-Sep-21 16:27:34

We wouildn't have any commercial tv if it wasn't for the adverts, and the advertisers wouldn't advertise if they did not get the sales to make it worth their while.

I find the simplest thing to do is not watch tv at all, at least not vey much.

Juliet27 Fri 03-Sep-21 16:33:03

I certainly have to mute the Dreams Bed advert despite knowing who she is!