Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Dodgy Tradespersons in Seniors homes

(34 Posts)
Jaye53 Fri 12-Apr-19 15:20:29

After doing a kitchen refurbishment.which was good I discovered theft of two watch and necklace! What would others do regarding the dilemma as can't directly complain the tradespersobs employer. The items were there night before in a drawer.so definately not mI slayed by me! Have informed police but they have not got back to me yet. Shocked and upset to say the least. My other jewelry is locked away upstairs

glammanana Fri 12-Apr-19 15:30:17

Can you not ask the tradespersons employer to get in touch with the fitters and ask if they happened to move the items somewhere safe whilst they did the job,then at least the trades involved will know you have noticed the items are missing and they may suddenly reappear,its worth a chance.

FlexibleFriend Fri 12-Apr-19 16:33:17

Not sure about your heading tbh dodgy tradesmen are dodgy tradesmen and take opportunities wherever they can. I would complain to the company concerned and let them deal with it as you've already contacted the police.

inishowen Sat 13-Apr-19 09:50:35

Over the years we've noticed many things have disappeared. My husband had two SAS plaques on his study wall. They went missing years ago. I used to have a little marble tortoise on the coffee table, gone now. Bits of jewellery have gone walkabout. We've had many tradespeople in the house, also friends of my children when they were teenagers. We can't be sure who took things.

Jaye53 Sat 13-Apr-19 10:07:27

The items in question were there day before robbery.I'm talking about this happening on 11 April 2019. People now have cctv to look at too to see robbery taking place

Granless Sat 13-Apr-19 10:15:58

Hmm. When selling our house, an Eastern European couple came to view a second time. This time we let them view without us perched on their shoulder which I do think is correct to do for second-time viewers - you do want to sell your house after all!
The day after, when looking for a necklace, which I had left where it was always left, had disappeared. I’m not mistaken. I didn’t think to remove or hide certain objects from view being an honest person myself. My fault for leaving it on view some would say. No, I didn’t complain. They didn’t buy our house! Hmmm. Be warned.

Bijou Sat 13-Apr-19 10:33:28

My mother had things stolen by carers. Also two of my friends had money stolen by carers who were later prosecuted.

GreenGran78 Sat 13-Apr-19 10:40:37

Granless. I would have reported the matter to the house agents. The couple may be in the habit of viewing many houses in order to steal items.

LuckyFour Sat 13-Apr-19 11:18:51

We had a burglary and they took all my jewellery, most of which had sentimental value including my engagement ring and eternity ring. I could cry right now just thinking of the special things they took. The police were sympathetic but useless and the insurance paid up without a quibble but it was deeply upsetting. I hide everything now.

harrigran Sat 13-Apr-19 11:30:43

Always a risk that unscrupulous workforce will help themselves. When we had our house refurbished we locked everything in the safe, it meant I also knew where to find things when the work was finished.
We are selling our second home at present but have insisted that estate agent and potential buyers are not to view alone, a friend is there for each viewing.

B9exchange Sat 13-Apr-19 11:46:53

My father had a cleaner who used to take things, then it moved on to money. When he put his pension away in the desk whilst she was cleaning, and went back an hour and a half later to find it was gone, he challenged her, she denied it, but he showed her the door. Police not interested, his word against hers. But we later found she had also taken virtually all my mother's jewellery, worth thousands. Insurance paid up, but the loss was something you don't get over.

On the other hand we now have cat sitters living in the house when we go away, and so far have not lost a thing, and come back to a clean house and home made soup in the fridge!

kircubbin2000 Sat 13-Apr-19 11:48:07

A couple stayed the night with me when they were restoring stonework at our church. In the morning he went to his car several times and I later noticed some of my new fluffy bath towels had gone.

Jaye53 Sat 13-Apr-19 12:15:43

BBExchange.police have phoned and want to interview me. If enough people report suspects police can form a case.I hate complacency ie not doing anything about it.if one does nothing then nothing gets done IMO

Jaye53 Sat 13-Apr-19 12:17:42

Glammanana I do like your idea.

CarlyD7 Sat 13-Apr-19 12:18:22

You must inform the company you bought the kitchen from and inform them that you have told the police. At the very least, they will think twice about using those fitters again?

CarlyD7 Sat 13-Apr-19 12:21:12

This reminds me of when my elderly parents had new carpet fitted. A few days later, they were burgled and their alarm didn't go off. On further inspection, they found that the wires for the alarm, which went under the floorboards of the room where the carpet was fitted, had been cut! All Mum's jewellery, apart from what she was wearing out that day, was taken - including things that had been left to her by her own mother. She was heartbroken.

Houseseller Sat 13-Apr-19 12:27:03

I had a ring disappear after potential buyer viewed my house.

driverann Sat 13-Apr-19 12:37:33

Our Son in law has stolen things from our house and shed.
However to save a big bust up we have said nothing but lock things away now. We feel so betrayed by him.

Jaye53 Sat 13-Apr-19 12:50:42

How awful Driverann.a cruel betrayal.

Witzend Sat 13-Apr-19 12:50:47

I'd just point out for anyone unaware, that in the case of any degree of dementia, accusations of stealing are very common. Usually the person has hidden whatever it is, often very successfully, and of course has forgotten having done so.

An aunt of mine complained that a valuable ring had been stolen. If my sister and BiL had not happened to visit that day, I dare say it would have been gone for ever - she'd wrapped it in something very unsavoury and hidden it away - in a waste bin.

eilyann Sat 13-Apr-19 13:44:00

After being burgled in 2000, when all of my jewellery (yes engagement, eternity and all sentimental stuff)we are very caref ul whenever we go out even for a short time.. When we sold our last house the Estate agent warned us that if we allowed viewers to view alone and subsequently found things missing, the insurance company might not pay up!

Chucky Sat 13-Apr-19 14:24:55

CarlyD7 That is appalling. The carpet fitters are obviously the most likely thieves. Surely the police would investigate them, fingerprints etc?

4allweknow Sat 13-Apr-19 16:41:42

Jayne53 So sorry about your situation. Ask the company to make enquiries to workers if they saw the items anywhere. At least you are raising the issue that things seem to be missing. You never know others may well gave complained to the company about similar happenings. On another point, it's not a robbery unless you were threatened/sustained violence, what's happened is classed as theft, just in case you are caught out accusing someone of robbery.

Jaye53 Sat 13-Apr-19 16:54:00

Thank you ForAllweknow. for that information

quasidodo Sat 13-Apr-19 19:22:45

I went to look at a flat a few years ago, accompanied by the estate agent, and he said 'I'll leave you to look around, I'll be outside - I've got some phone calls to make.' I could have stolen anything I wanted - including the £40 cash that the vendor had for some reason left on the kitchen table.