Gransnet forums

Estrangement

My Introduction All About Me and My Daughter Texting Me GOODBYE

(15 Posts)
Purplesilverfire Mon 28-Mar-22 00:19:13

It has been almost a year now since my oldest daughter sent me this text message all mad that said I wasn't never gonna see her again and that I lied to her. I have to sent texts back to her and apologizing for things I remember now that I can't help how she reacts to it. My dad was mean to us growing up. At least I didn't treat my kids that way. I had it bad growing up too you know and I did the best I could for being disabled.

I hurt my back after I had my second daughter who is also disabled. I had to go get the court to give me legal guardianship of my disabled daughter and my oldest daughter didn't even want to be on the paper work! So it's all on me. I am divorced from their father but he has recently found the Lord in the last decade and we are friends again. My oldest daughter thinks that he should have come around more often but she always told me that he was mean to her and that she was afraid of him. So I didn't let her go over to his house no matter how mad he got. I told her the bible says about getting back together after a divorce but she still won't forgive her dad for what she is mad about so me and him just pray for her. She don't like that he moved in nearby my house and we have study time a lot. She says that's a lie so that's why she wont reply to my texts, I think.

But she don't reply to my texts no matter what I talk about. I don't know what to say to get her to reply because I can't think of anything else to apologize for. I watch home movies and look at pictures looking for what I done wrong and I apologize for it in text and she don't reply. Well, that's my story. HELP WHAT CAN I DO,

Thanks I'm Purplesilverfire.

Purplesilverfire Mon 28-Mar-22 00:23:58

I know she receives my texts because the same number replies to the texts my other daughter sends her. I read my daughters phone but she won't reply anything when I had her tell her that I hurt my arm and leg on the ice this winter. She ignored that and kept talking about her dog???????? PURPLESILVERFIRE

Hithere Mon 28-Mar-22 02:30:14

Did you ask your daughter to forgive her abuser, all based on religion?
Not sure if I got that right

BlueBelle Mon 28-Mar-22 03:31:10

I take it you are from USA can you explain what ‘being mean’ to her means ? is it physical violence/psychological violence
You say your dad was ‘mean’ to you and your husband was ‘mean’ to your eldest daughter it sounds as if your daughter has been badly hurt growing up and now resents the fact that you are friendly friendly with her abuser
But I m not sure if I ve understood your post correctly it’s a bit disjointed

M0nica Mon 28-Mar-22 13:56:07

Purplesiverfire I think your problems are better dealt with by a councillor than a random collection of women, some of whom, could say things to upset you.

I am not sure how it works in the US, but it should be possible to find a councillor, online or in your area. If cost is a problem look for a charity offering councilling. Perhaps ones who offer help to abused children and adults or similar.one

VioletSky Mon 28-Mar-22 17:20:28

I'm not sure I fully understood your post so please correct me if I have misunderstood.

Growing up daughter thinks dad should have made more effort to see her but she also didn't want to see him because she was afraid of him and he was not a good father?

It's understandable that she can hold both those opposing views, children often miss the parent they should have had.

Am I right in saying, she thinks your relationship with him now is more than friends and that is why she is accusing you of lying? You said that the bible says you should get back together after divorce, is that why she thinks that?

If it were me and my daughter was afraid of her father and didn't want a relationship with him now, I'm afraid that friendship would not be happening. A relationship would definitely not be happening. It wouldn't matter if he had found God or how much he turned his life around, my loyalty would have to stay with my daughter and what she felt safe and comfortable with.

Bibbity Mon 28-Mar-22 17:26:36

Why do you believe your daughter should be responsible for her sister? She has no obligation at all there.

PECS Mon 28-Mar-22 17:32:53

I can appreciate your daughter's reluctance to reconcile with her father, & now you because you have rekindled the relationship with him.

It sounds as if he abused her and then ignored her.

What reparations has he attempted to make to his child for causing her so much pain/damage?

Finding a faith is not magically going to heal the scars he has caused. He needs to respect her decision and be patient.

She is the person who should decide what happens, not you or her father.

You seem to have chosen him rather than your daughter. That is OK but you have to accept the consequence is that she will not be apart of your life.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 28-Mar-22 17:33:21

As far as your daughter is concerned you have chosen your ex who your daughter is afraid of, over her.

You wouldn’t let her see him because she was afraid of him and now you want them all to be friends?

I would leave the Bible out of it and stop trying to get them together.

argymargy Tue 29-Mar-22 08:01:06

You could try calling. Why anyone would think they can sort out serious relationship challenges by text is just beyond me.

Herefornow Tue 29-Mar-22 09:56:27

OP i think you need to stop texting and leave her alone. Your other daughter's disability isn't her responsibility it's yours and her father's. Why are you not upset the father is not in the paperwork?

Also, its offputtingly pious of you to band together with someone your daughter clearly distrusts to pray for her. Perhaps your disability makes social interactions a struggle. You could seek out support for this from a therapist?

Madgran77 Tue 29-Mar-22 14:45:42

Purplesilverfire I think you need to speak to a counsellor to help you sort through this issue and find a way forward for yourself flowers

Smileless2012 Tue 29-Mar-22 16:44:15

I think the best thing to do is to take a step back and respect the fact that your D doesn't want to have contact with you. As an estranged parent, I know this is hard but there's nothing else you can do.

Leave her to get on with her life while you get on with yours.

Allsorts Thu 31-Mar-22 20:21:34

You need to let your daughter have her own life. There is no reason she should be on the paperwork for her sister, that’s your responsibility. I feel you expect too much of her and should let her live her life. I also cannot understand you being with the husband who you didn’t want in her life which was controlling, how must that have made her feel? You have chosen him over her, You have found your religion and not her, she can decide for herself.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 01-Apr-22 16:19:53

Yes...I found your account a little baffling, but in all honesty, I think you need to let this go....for now. Jesus says don’t worry about tomorrow, just focus on the problems of the day. That’s enough for anyone. I know you can’t do this so specifically with everything, but in this instance....I think you can.

You have apologised, and that’s all you can do. To keep doing it could make things worse. Just enjoy what you can, while you can, and don’t try to change things you can’t.

As a fellow Christian, we know there is much better to come.

God Bless