Gransnet forums

Education

Harrison’s Story: An educational film to highlight the dangers of railway premises.

(9 Posts)
Grannynannywanny Wed 12-Oct-22 08:44:35

Did anyone see this very moving 2 min film on BBC Breakfast earlier? A short film made by Network Rail in collaboration with the mother of 11 year Harrison. He climbed over a fence and into a remote railway yard to retrieve his football. There was an arc of electricity which struck him and killed him instantly in front of his friends. The hours leading up to the tragic event are played out by a group of schoolboys.

The film will be used to educate children in the dangers of approaching railway premises. It’s very well made and I hope it will get the message across when the campaign is rolled out in our schools.
youtu.be/pWVvjFqH0UE

rubysong Wed 12-Oct-22 09:15:26

Yes, I saw it. What a sad story. I worked in a village primary school, where a very minor branch line ran through the village. The rail company sent speakers in from time to time to warn children how dangerous it was to play on the line.
Our line wasn't electrified. I was surprised to know the electricity could jump like that. The boy in the film didn't actually touch the line. So sad, and brave of his family to campaign in this way.

Grannynannywanny Wed 12-Oct-22 09:22:59

When I was at primary school an 8 year old boy in my class entered a railway yard and was struck by an arc of electricity. He survived but lost an arm.

henetha Wed 12-Oct-22 09:28:11

Yes, I saw this beautifully made film about the dangers of these places. I admired his mother's courage so much.

tanith Wed 12-Oct-22 09:56:39

I didn’t see it but it sounds like it would be very useful in getting the message across. When I think of the stupid things we did near a rail yard in my childhood my blood runs cold.

eazybee Wed 12-Oct-22 10:14:41

When I was teaching in the Midlands British Rail campaigned regularly in school about the dangers of trespassing on railway property.
A group of mothers objected because the speakers had frightened their children.

FarNorth Wed 12-Oct-22 10:26:56

My brother and I were standing behind a fence beside the railway line as a train rushed past.
We felt a huge suction towards the train.
Had we been sitting on top of the fence, as we originally meant to do, we could both have been killed.

Chestnut Wed 12-Oct-22 10:30:21

It is terrifying to think children can gain access to such dangerous places, and this should be highlighted at schools once a year so they all see it. Although with children you can tell them, warn them, educate them, but there is no guarantee they will all listen and learn.

Doodledog Wed 12-Oct-22 10:30:56

This is a video made to teach Australian children not to play on railway lines. I think it's very effective, as it uses children's humour - I believe it went on to become a video game, as children liked it so much.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw