Gransnet forums

Education

Why do British royal children not go to state schools like the Scandanavian royals?

(849 Posts)
varian Tue 23-Aug-22 19:12:25

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are about to send their three children to a private school near their new home in Windsor at a reported cost of over £50 pa just for the fees.

Would it not be better for them to send them to the local primary school?

www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/daniela-elser-kate-and-williams-kids-enrolling-in-ritzy-new-school-is-tone-deaf/HM2K3IDGIS3T3QG2WXLV67FIEU/

varian Tue 23-Aug-22 19:13:21

£50,000 pa obviously £50 would be bargain!

Lucca Tue 23-Aug-22 19:15:15

It would interesting !

Pantglas2 Tue 23-Aug-22 19:19:57

They’re not the only royals to send their children to private schools, the Spanish princesses also went private in Madrid.

I imagine most royals across Europe are privately educated.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 23-Aug-22 19:23:27

Absolutely nothing wrong with sending children to private schools.

Some of our children went to state schools all the way from 4 to 18 some went private some had a mixture of both, all parents do what is in their childrens best interest.

GrannySomerset Tue 23-Aug-22 19:30:31

Can you imagine how impossible security would be in most state schools? The physical safety of the children must have been a major factor in the decision.

Mollygo Tue 23-Aug-22 19:32:29

Why do any parents send their children to private schools?

volver Tue 23-Aug-22 19:34:31

Absolutely nothing wrong with sending children to private schools.

Oh there is.

But I don't know if this is a Royal thread or a private schooling thread, so I'll shut up. ?

Joseanne Tue 23-Aug-22 19:35:22

In terms of a good academic education, they would probably be just as well off at state schools.
But it is the value added that private schools offer which no doubt suits their needs better.
Yes, GrannySomerset, security is paramount, not just for the royals but for the other children and staff in their schools.

MaizieD Tue 23-Aug-22 19:37:40

GrannySomerset

Can you imagine how impossible security would be in most state schools? The physical safety of the children must have been a major factor in the decision.

Goodness.

Have you been to a state primary school lately. They're like Fort Knox. Security fences. Locked gates. Only one way to get in, via reception (and a locked door that they only open when they've checked you out) during school hours...

What security would a private school offer that a state school couldn't?

Kittye Tue 23-Aug-22 19:38:57

One of my neighbours sons told me he and his brothers go to private school and not to the local “ chavvy” state schools. The infant state schools were good enough for them but not the state upper schools apparently.
My grandchildren all went or go to the “ chavvy” schools, then onto university where they’ve done extremely well. ?

Joseanne Tue 23-Aug-22 19:39:30

Undercover security personnel in the school MaizieD.

DaisyAnne Tue 23-Aug-22 19:39:45

Why do British royal children not go to state schools like the Scandanavian royals?

Because they are not Scandinavian?

Why do any parents send their children to private schools?

Because they want what they believe is best for their children, not what you believe is best for them?

MaizieD Tue 23-Aug-22 19:42:52

Joseanne

Do private schools have that as a matter of course? Or specially arranged for royalty?

M0nica Tue 23-Aug-22 19:43:50

Security, which is why the children of almost all celebrities or very wealthy people go to private school.

Also when children of well known people are sent to state schools, it actually causes the children problems and can lead to bullyingg.

Paul McCartney's children went to state schools because he wanted his children to have a 'normal' up bringing. This link records the response of one of his children to this education. www.sussexlive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/stella-mccartneys-attempted-ordinary-life-6765628

watermeadow Tue 23-Aug-22 19:44:15

I worked at the school one of the royals attended and the security was unbelievable. Must have cost us all a fortune.

Mollygo Tue 23-Aug-22 19:45:12

You’re right about both those DaisyAnne.
I wonder if GN’s whose children or grandchildren went, or go to private schools could help out here.

Jaylou Tue 23-Aug-22 19:50:45

If they sent them to state schools, then I am sure there would be comments about them depriving other local kids from a place. They would be damned if they do and damned if they don't. Either decision would get bad press.

Casdon Tue 23-Aug-22 19:57:34

Back to your original question varian, apparently there are no private schools in Finland, very few in Norway, a few more in Sweden, and 25% of schools in Denmark are independent. It’s not one size fits all. In the UK 7% of children are educated independently, so it’s not as elite as you would think - it probably would be more so if the Royal children had governesses.

merlotgran Tue 23-Aug-22 19:58:06

It’s a matter of choice. If you can afford to send your children to private school then it’s your business.

The Cambridges have done the right think relocating to where all three children can go to the same prep school. Security will be cheaper if they are all under the same roof and it sounds as though they are having more of a Middleton upbringing than a traditional Windsor one.

Pantglas2 Tue 23-Aug-22 20:00:30

If it’s good enough for Diane Abbott....

Blossoming Tue 23-Aug-22 20:01:49

Snobbery, mostly.

Smileless2012 Tue 23-Aug-22 20:02:55

Security probably has a lot to do with the decision and if you can afford private education and that's your preferred choice, then why not.

Joseanne Tue 23-Aug-22 20:04:40

MaizieD

Joseanne

Do private schools have that as a matter of course? Or specially arranged for royalty?

I guess the school can't mess around where the heir to the throne is concerned! grin
Private schools themselves don't actually provide additional security, though I guess they might co operate if a particular request were made. It is, of course, very disruptive for the school in lots of ways.
Casdon is right that all 3 children in one setting will make things easier, and cheaper.

Joseanne Tue 23-Aug-22 20:05:29

* sorry I meant merlotgran