Gransnet forums

Education

Covid Guidelines

(14 Posts)
bobbydog24 Thu 07-Jul-22 08:01:01

My grandson has just caught covid for the second time. He had it the first time last year, caught at school and had to isolate until he had a negative test two days on the trot. This time his school have said he can return to school on the fourth day after he tested positive even if he is still positive as long as he feels ok. He isn’t poorly with it but I am amazed that the school are condoning a child returning to school maybe still contagious, spreading it to other children who are taking it home to other siblings and parents and grandparents. It’s no wonder the cases are climbing. Also it’s putting a burden on more parents to have to take time off work to look after their children. One child in his school has had it three times this year and his mum has used most of her annual leave to care for him. Another child testing positive infected his father and he ended up in ICU and is still making a slow recovery. I appreciate we have to learn to live with this virus but surely we don’t have to deliberately let it rip.

Galaxy Thu 07-Jul-22 08:04:04

They are balancing the risk to children in terms of their mental health, missed education etc, against the fact that children tend not to be as severely affected. But yes those are the guidelines currently.

Chardy Thu 07-Jul-22 08:15:56

Schools were never protected from almost the beginning. Still not an air filter in every classroom. The idea that their mental health will be more affected by schools having pupils in part-time and Zoom learning than the shambles this is currently, is ridiculous. Staff and pupils have been hit so badly, and consequently their families. 800,000 people with Long Covid for over a year include children and teachers. There's a Twitter feed called @LongCovidKids which is heartbreaking.

MerylStreep Thu 07-Jul-22 08:26:49

Chardy
Children suffering mental health issues Re covid is a very serious problem.

www.bmj.com/content/376/bmj.o430

Galaxy Thu 07-Jul-22 08:43:51

Yes I work in a service that provides support to children with a range of needs, we arent imagining it. I wouldnt ignore it minimise the issues of long covid or ventilation which is why I talked about balance. Ignoring the issues that we are seeing across schools is not helpful.

Galaxy Thu 07-Jul-22 08:44:21

Or minimise that should say

ElaineI Thu 07-Jul-22 20:08:16

The advice for everyone in Scotland apart from NHS and social care is not to test. Stay off if you feel ill and back to work when you feel better. Advice is also not to test children at all especially younger children. Don't know if I agree with this. DD1 has had her classroom windows wide open since the start of the pandemic.

StarDreamer Thu 07-Jul-22 21:47:01

As far as I am aware the UK is still at Covid level 3, epidemic.

LINK > www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-covid-alert-level

LINK > www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-covid-19-alert-level-methodology-an-overview/uk-covid-19-alert-level-methodology-an-overview

The authorities generated that methodology, so I wonder why some people are claiming, and acting as if, we (? my question mark) are back to normal. So, in effect, in my opinion, they are acting as if the alert level is two levels lower than what it actually is.

FarNorth Thu 07-Jul-22 21:52:05

It's obvious why many want to behave as if we are 'back to normal' and perhaps government hopes that the long term effects of mental ill-health and long covid and financial costs can all be pushed ahead for someone else to deal with.

FarNorth Thu 07-Jul-22 21:53:24

Governments are also acting as if climate change isn't real so humanity could be on a complete hiding to nothing.

PaperMonster Fri 08-Jul-22 13:35:52

The government advice is that children should stay at home for three days. Obviously if the child feels unwell after that you wouldn’t be sending them in anyway.

StarDreamer Fri 08-Jul-22 15:26:21

I think it is a sort of fatigue by some people with taking precautions that used not to be taken in years gone by.

Sort of like, we all learned to look before crossing the road when we very young, so we just do it, we don't get kerb drill fatigue, because we have no memory of not having had to do it.

Does that make sense? smile

I think we now have a situation where some people are taking big preautions and some are not taking any. Is that how it is?

I have an instinct that a concept of if there are no rules then people cannot be punished for breaking them might exist.

FarNorth Sat 09-Jul-22 01:26:42

I think you're right SD.

MayBee70 Sat 09-Jul-22 08:13:47

There has been a change in people. I do a walk every night along a narrow pavement and people are often walking the other way (back from the pub). For most of the pandemic it was always me that moved into the road, or crossed the road even though there was no pavement on the other side. But recently everyone has given me space. I no longer go into town etc but I assume everyone still keeps more of a distance from other people.