Gransnet forums

Education

Provision of proper, safe, ventitlators in classrooms.

(18 Posts)
Franbern Tue 28-Dec-21 08:48:09

The Gaurdian newspaper has an article which states that these could be provided in ALL classrooms in the UK for HALF the cost of the new Royal Yaught,
Obviously it is down to priorities.
After all, it must be more important to have this this ship built, whether it has any use or not, and children and teachers can just freeze throughout the winter months throughout each day.
They may well avoid Covid, but will get vey bad colds and worse.

vegansrock Tue 28-Dec-21 09:02:49

A Johnson vanity project- he’s hoping for freebie holidays.

Josieann Tue 28-Dec-21 09:05:00

I agree with you Franbern the priorities are all wrong here.
Ventilation in schools is a tricky subject. I remember once that craftyone went to great lengths to explain how difficult and super expensive a sophisticated ventilation system would be in a home, let alone in a school. I also wrote recently somewhere that many Victorian school buildings would find it impossible to accommodate all the ducting and vents necessary. The job needs to be done when the new school is being built, not retrospectively. Ventilators are not the answer, but are still better than nothing, and certainly deserve priority over a silly yacht.
By the way, I've yet to meet a young child who feels the cold!

Esspee Tue 28-Dec-21 09:05:55

My goodness, are they actually going ahead with a new Royal Yacht? I thought even the Royal Family had said no.

Well, when Scotland becomes independent the rest of the disunited kingdom will have to foot the bill. ( …and the bill for the Houses of Parliament).

Josieann Tue 28-Dec-21 09:06:23

vegansrock

A Johnson vanity project- he’s hoping for freebie holidays.

grin

MaizieD Tue 28-Dec-21 09:11:37

It isn't about ventilation at all.

Let's get this right. It's about the provision of air filters. These remove covid particles from the air. Used in conjunction with masks and ventilation they would slash the risk to our children. I've been coming back to this for weeks and weeks now.

The government has advised schools to provide them, even produced a list of suppliers, which includes hideously expensive ones from Dyson...

But to be effective at least one is needed in every classroom. Schools don't have the money to pay for them. Will they be given the money? I doubt it...

GagaJo Tue 28-Dec-21 09:17:55

Oh Josianne! You've not been in a classroom recently. Not only will they be too hot, too cold, they'll also be too in the light, too shaded, too close to the wall, door, front, back. And god forbid they sit too near the teacher or worse, a fly comes into the room.

Josieann Tue 28-Dec-21 09:24:11

But Maizie, let's get this straight, it is about efficacy and air filters by no means do the full job. The risk would be lessened but by no means slashed. My DH has been researching the sophisticated inbuilt systems for months and months now, along with top architects and environmental advisors. And this is within schools who do have the money.
If air filters are the best substitute in terms of cost and installation then so be it, but I'm guessing because they are not totally effective, that is why the money isn't being spent on them.
Anyway, who will actually own this yacht?

EllanVannin Tue 28-Dec-21 09:24:16

There's only myself and cats but my windows are open all day, every day, until evening then I look forward to a bit of warmth. I actually have the bedroom window open all night except if there's hail blowing through.

Ventilation is important where you have crowds. I remember as a child in the old draughty schools where the boiler would break down on many occasion and we'd all put our coats on in mid-winter ( which were colder ) but nobody seemed to notice.

Even with our windows open in school, you'd get the whiff of coke fumes from the boiler inside the classroom which prickled your nose. We must have been tough as kids in those days.

Because we're facing a global catastrophe with the changing weather and more disease, buildings now should be built in accordance of what's to come in the future.

Franbern Tue 28-Dec-21 09:27:15

At present the only way to ventilate classrooms is to open all windows that do open. Fine and lovely in the Summer, but dreadful in the winter. And, they still have to keep the heating on, so what a total waste of energy.

Yes, young children (primary school age) may not notice the cold, and may not notice when they are getting very cold, which is why they need adults ensuring they are kept warm in cold weather. Secondary school aged children do notice when they are cold, and some Heads are still being stupid enough to refuse permission for the to wear their coats in the classrooms.

Winter illnesses are going to run riot amongst these youngsters as they will be sitting still for hours in such cold conditions.

Do think that the Government which is not giving any financial aid to schools to help with ventilation could be accused of corporate manslaughter.

adaunas Tue 28-Dec-21 09:28:01

GagaJo that’s so accurate, all those, and above all, if they are not sitting next to their friends! The parent talk in the playground at primary schools is often more about those things than education.

Josieann Tue 28-Dec-21 09:29:01

GagaJo

Oh Josianne! You've not been in a classroom recently. Not only will they be too hot, too cold, they'll also be too in the light, too shaded, too close to the wall, door, front, back. And god forbid they sit too near the teacher or worse, a fly comes into the room.

Yes GagaJo you as a teacher are right.
DH is in schools every day, in classrooms, and his ongoing battle, in a nice way, is with teachers who have the heating on full pelt and windows wide open, (even before covid). The costs of heating a school are ginormous in terms of budget.

Josieann Tue 28-Dec-21 09:30:08

X post Franbern, yes, total waste of money.

MaizieD Tue 28-Dec-21 09:42:58

IT'S NOT ABOUT VENTILATION, IT'S ABOUT AIR FILTERS

Try reading my post before commenting on it, Josieann. I said nothing about air filter use in isolation.

MaizieD Tue 28-Dec-21 09:50:17

If air filters are the best substitute in terms of cost and installation then so be it, but I'm guessing because they are not totally effective, that is why the money isn't being spent on them.

Have you actually read any of the research on the efficacy of air filtration, Josieann or is 'guessing' easier?

This government has made it very plain that it doesn't intend to spend any more money on covid mitigation or support. Nothing whatsoever to do with efficacy.

Sago Tue 28-Dec-21 13:28:17

Our school was in a draughty old stately home.

The classrooms were once receptions rooms with floor to ceiling windows and huge fireplaces.
In the winter we wore fingerless gloves in the classrooms and occasionally our coats as it was perishing.

It would be closed down today. ?

FarNorth Tue 28-Dec-21 13:33:13

I've yet to meet a young child who feels the cold!

I remember being absolutely perishing cold in our P5 classroom, and the teacher saying that workers in a factory wouldn't tolerate it.
It was around 55F I think.

Chardy Tue 28-Dec-21 13:36:07

Josieann

GagaJo

Yes GagaJo you as a teacher are right.
DH is in schools every day, in classrooms, and his ongoing battle, in a nice way, is with teachers who have the heating on full pelt and windows wide open, (even before covid). The costs of heating a school are ginormous in terms of budget.

In 40 years, I think I was timetabled to teach in 19 or 20 classrooms, some old, some decrepit (stinking oil-field stoves in huts that were condemned), some brand-new. I do not remember having control of the heating in any of them.