Gransnet forums

Education

Tackling absenteeism

(9 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 09-Oct-21 17:59:12

Well - that's a turn-up for the books.

Our new education secretary is going to tackle the causes of absenteeism - well whoopy-doo! These causes relate to families who are disadvantaged, whose own education might have been lacking, who are on low incomes, whose lives might be chaotic, families where there is domestic abuse and unemployment etc. etc.

Tackling these problems had already been started via the Sure Start scheme and through LA family centres. Guess what? - this government abandoned the Sure Start scheme and underfunded LAs to the point where family centres and youth services have had to close. And now we are reaping the harvest of these appallingly short-sighted decisions.

I hope he has got his magic wand polished up, because he is about to find out that any useful preventative schemes work slowly and need to build up in order to have any impact.

No doubt he will be wanting quick results to wave in front of the electorate. I strongly suspect that the stick will come into use any minute now. This crazy government really believes that fines for the parents of non-attenders achieves the desired result - no, it just makes the poor even poorer, and resentful of authority.

How did we finish up with this bunch in charge?

midgey Sat 09-Oct-21 18:02:56

Oh Luckygirl I’m with you. Sure Start was such a good idea as was some of the sports schemes that were set up. Oh well, you reap what you sow!

JaneJudge Sat 09-Oct-21 18:08:41

I am with you too smile They cut the sibling support group here as soon as these gits got in power. 10 years of no sibling/young carer support. They are evil

I have had a gin smile

MissAdventure Sat 09-Oct-21 18:11:28

I hope they leave it until after my grandsons holiday! smile

JaneJudge Sat 09-Oct-21 18:15:56

I am glad he is going MissA x

MissAdventure Sat 09-Oct-21 18:20:14

Me too, now I've made my mind up.
smile

GrannySomerset Sat 09-Oct-21 18:22:34

It feels as if governments only think about the next election and that there is never any long term thinking - education is one victim, gas storage another, HGV drivers another, and I am sure people will come up with a list of government failure to plan for more than a soundbite on the evening news. I despair.

MissAdventure Sat 09-Oct-21 18:24:46

It's going to be a mammoth task, considering the many, many reasons why children are absent.

JaneJudge Sat 09-Oct-21 18:49:06

Pandemic
Petrol
Pigs