Gransnet forums

Education

Wondering whether to move grandson from his school.

(59 Posts)
Grandma70s Sat 25-Sep-21 12:31:34

My son and DIL are considering changing my grandson’s school. He has just started Year 8 at a fairly high profile London day school, where he has been a pupil since he was 7. He was happy enough in the juniors, but is finding the senior school hard. It’s selective, and it’s very high achieving. He is by no means among the brightest, and is apt not to try at things he is not really interested in, like maths. He likes sport, but is not particularly good at it.

Of course his Year 7 was really messed about by Covid, so in a way this year is his first proper year as a senior. Other children seem to be managing much better, though. His parents think he might be better at a comprehensive where competition and achievement is less important, but he’s not fond of change, and changing schools is a major event. (For me it would have been traumatic.) They are trying so hard to do the right thing, but it is a major step that could go horribly wrong. I haven’t heard what the boy himself thinks.

Does anyone have experience of this situation?

Nannarose Sat 25-Sep-21 12:35:07

If he is in Year 8 then he is old enough to have his opinion seriously considered, and indeed, should be paramount.
If he joins in community groups / sports / hobbies in his neighbourhood then he probably has a very good idea of what other schools have to offer.

Teacheranne Sat 25-Sep-21 12:41:05

I agree with Nannarose, your grandson is old enough to have his views taken into account. Is he unhappy at school? What is he finding hard? Is it the school work, friendship groups, different teachers etc?

Some of the things he finds hard at this school might also be things he will find difficult at a new school eg making friends or getting to know the teachers.

BlueBelle Sat 25-Sep-21 12:41:48

For what it’s worth I think to change him after he’s literally just started a couple of weeks ago would be really unhelpful Wherever he went he would be weeks late starting everyone would have already made their friends and got involved in the routine what a huge disadvantage he d be at
Knowing he’s not a high achiever why did they send him to that school why not the comprehensive in the first place and yes they do need to see what he wants they could make all the plans carefully but if he turns round as nd says no I want to stay here it would be for nothing so that would be the first step see how he feels about it all
Good luck

Septimia Sat 25-Sep-21 12:42:35

Perhaps he should be given this year to see if things settle down and he is happier. Moving just before he starts GCSE work could be a better time to do it if he still isn't happy.

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 25-Sep-21 12:47:20

I agree with others. It’s too early to bale out, and he could have the same experience somewhere else, but he will have lost the familiarity. I would imagine every child in the country is out of sorts at the moment.

Hang on in there, and let him drive your decision making.

Lucca Sat 25-Sep-21 12:48:06

I’d leave him there unless he’s unhappy. Not everyone can be high flying academically. Panic not in year 8. If it comes to it and he’s struggling in maths or English maybe consider some extra tuition?
If it’s selective then he must have passed some kind of entrance exam ?

Can I just say that to consider a move to a comprehensive as being less keen on achievement is a bit …um…insulting maybe ?

trisher Sat 25-Sep-21 12:51:55

I don't know of any schools where competition and achievement are not important now. There are league tables and schools want to be near the top.
He's Year 8 old enough to know what he wants to do. Just ask him.

eazybee Sat 25-Sep-21 13:24:51

His parents need to discuss it with him and also with the school.
Taking him out of the selective, academic and I am assuming, fee-paying system and sending him to a comprehensive where he knows no-one could be traumatic.

MayBeMaw Sat 25-Sep-21 13:25:21

His parents think he might be better at a comprehensive where competition and achievement is less important, but he’s not fond of change
This sentence just jumped out at me.
Whatever makes them think comprehensives are not competitive or achievement led? Two words - league tables. It sounds very dismissive and I fear they may be founding their decision on a serious misconception.
The child has just started year 8 (which would be the second year of secondary in most schools) , friendship groups will have been formed, classes settling down with their new teachers.
TBH I think it sounds like a very bad idea indeed - not least because you say your GS is not fond of change.
He could be very lonely and unhappy indeed.

Grandma70s Sat 25-Sep-21 13:27:47

I think you’re right, Septimia.

BlueBelle, as I said he has been at the school since he was 7. It has a junior and a senior section. At that age they didn’t know whether he was going to be a high achiever or not. It just seemed to be the best school at the time.

He has friends and is well-liked by both teachers and pupils, but he finds the work very hard, and doesn’t share the enthusiasm for it that his friends have. He doesn’t have any particular talents like music, sport or drama, which many of them do, and I think he’s well aware of that. He is certainly not flourishing there at the moment.

As far as I know the idea of moving schools hasn’t been raised with him, though obviously it would be if it became a more definite possibility. I don’t live anywhere near them, so the finer points probably pass me by.

V3ra Sat 25-Sep-21 13:36:55

I had to change high school after the first year as we moved with my Dad's job. I found it hard to join a friendship group as everyone was already established. Though maybe more children do change school these days?

I think a comprehensive would have more knowledge and experience of pupils going on to apprenticeship training courses or vocational courses, which may suit better.

My (selective) school was very A Level/ degree course focussed with not much else to offer. Obviously this was a long time ago though!

Grandma70s Sat 25-Sep-21 13:39:20

MayBeMaw

^His parents think he might be better at a comprehensive where competition and achievement is less important, but he’s not fond of change^
This sentence just jumped out at me.
Whatever makes them think comprehensives are not competitive or achievement led? Two words - league tables. It sounds very dismissive and I fear they may be founding their decision on a serious misconception.
The child has just started year 8 (which would be the second year of secondary in most schools) , friendship groups will have been formed, classes settling down with their new teachers.
TBH I think it sounds like a very bad idea indeed - not least because you say your GS is not fond of change.
He could be very lonely and unhappy indeed.

Both my son and DIL went to comprehensives, so they do know what they’re taking about, though I think all schools are more competitive now. It’s just that at a comprehensive there is a greater range of abilities, so he wouldn’t feel inadequate as I feel he does now. In the senior school where he is now there are a lot of very brilliant children on scholarships. The
Junior School didn’t have that.

I think I agree that moving him would not be a good idea unless he becomes seriously unhappy. It’s really very difficult.

Grandma70s Sat 25-Sep-21 13:40:26

Sorry, I have messed that up. I didn’t mean to post twice,

Josianne Sat 25-Sep-21 13:52:07

He has friends and is well-liked by both teachers and pupils, but he finds the work very hard, and doesn’t share the enthusiasm for it that his friends have. He doesn’t have any particular talents like music, sport or drama, which many of them do, and I think he’s well aware of that. He is certainly not flourishing there at the moment.

The fact he is well liked by teachers and his peers is a real positive. Could he himself perhaps start a club he is interested in like chess, model making, astronomy? It doesn't have to be curriculum based. The work aspect is something that needs to be discussed with the school. If they taught him in the Junior section they would have known if he couldn't cope with the next step and wouldn't have offered him a place. Personally I would persevere.

Grandma70s Sat 25-Sep-21 14:00:18

Lucca

I’d leave him there unless he’s unhappy. Not everyone can be high flying academically. Panic not in year 8. If it comes to it and he’s struggling in maths or English maybe consider some extra tuition?

Can I just say that to consider a move to a comprehensive as being less keen on achievement is a bit …um…insulting maybe ?

He was in the junior school, and that makes it easier to get into the seniors. I went through a very similar system myself.

I’ve said my bit about comprehensives. Both my sons went to one. Obviously they aim at high achievement, but since the range of ability is greater a child is less conspicuous if he isn’t super-bright. This makes for a more relaxing atmosphere than at a selective school.

MerylStreep Sat 25-Sep-21 14:03:10

his parents think he might be better at a comprehensive where competition and achievement is less important
How refreshing to see that snobbery is still alive and kicking in the 21st century.

MayBeMaw Sat 25-Sep-21 14:08:43

This makes for a more relaxing atmosphere than at a selective school
No it doesn’t - he will still be expected to meet or surpass targets set on his earlier testing and if what his parents want us for him to blend into a “grey area” of possibly under achieving, or less able children, or less rigorous teaching, I would suggest they and he will regret this in years to come.

Callistemon Sat 25-Sep-21 14:10:46

It was been such a difficult year that he may not have settled in fully yet. Y7 is the year when all changes for them and they are finding their feet, making new friendship groups and facing the challenge of having different teachers for all subjects instead f one primary class teacher.
It all takes a lot of getting used to and they weren't at school for much of that year.

Do they put them into sets in Y9? In which case he will be assessed and placed in sets according to his ability in different subjects.
Perhaps he needs some extra tuition in a subject if he's finding it difficult.

Can his parents find something he is interested in eg a hobby which can expand his horizons?
Sport has been difficult, one of my DGD was chosen in Y7 for the school netball team but this was stopped in Y8 because of Covid and I don't think contact sports have begun again.

If he really hates it at his school then they could consider moving him but I think this may be teething problems that many experience starting at senior school - which Y8 are doing this year in reality, as well as Y7.

Callistemon Sat 25-Sep-21 14:14:08

His parents think he might be better at a comprehensive where competition and achievement is less important, but he’s not fond of change

You mean they are considering sending him to a "bog-standard comprehensive"?

If such a school exists in their area.

Grandma70s Sat 25-Sep-21 14:21:05

MayBeMaw

^This makes for a more relaxing atmosphere than at a selective school^
No it doesn’t - he will still be expected to meet or surpass targets set on his earlier testing and if what his parents want us for him to blend into a “grey area” of possibly under achieving, or less able children, or less rigorous teaching, I would suggest they and he will regret this in years to come.

Well, my experience of selective and comprehensive education has certainly told me that comprehensive schools are more relaxing. I’m probably out of date, though.

His parents obviously don’t want him to be in a “grey area” of under-achievement. They just want him to be less stressed,

Polarbear2 Sat 25-Sep-21 14:25:28

Lucca

Glad you said that. My thoughts precisely.

trisher Sat 25-Sep-21 14:32:49

I was just wondering if his parents are in some way disappointed because he isn't a high flyer and is just scraping by at his present school. Do they imagine that he will be more of a success in a comprehensive?

Jaxjacky Sat 25-Sep-21 14:34:46

It’s early days, they’ve not been back to school for a month yet (assuming?) and seniors is harder than juniors. I’d see how he is by Christmas, then, if necessary have the conversation with both school and him. There is a lot to be said for having his friends/peers moving up with him than having to build new relationships as well as settle into a new school routine.

Josianne Sat 25-Sep-21 14:58:10

Just to reiterate, it is unlikely that a Senior School would make a mistake in their selection procedure, especially if your GS attended the Junior School.
A lot of new children feed in in Year 6, they are not all brilliant, and scholarships are often awarded for reasons other than academic performance. Hopefully the school can find something which he can enjoy and excel at. It sounds to me as though your GS's self confidence has slipped a bit, but without knowing him that could be for several reasons. Does he have a designated tutor/housemaster to contact to discuss?