Gransnet forums

Education

Free online courses for everyone!

(39 Posts)
Luckygirl Mon 18-Jan-16 14:52:18

I have just discovered Future Learn which provides free online courses on many different topics, many of which would be of interest to us Gransnetters. Most of the courses last about 3 or four weeks. Here is a link to the list of courses; www.futurelearn.com/courses/upcoming

I have registered for the one about literature and mental health. I read avidly and write poetry, and have also suffered a depressive illness, so I hope to gain a lot from this.

There are courses of particular relevance to us on here: Successful Ageing, Religion and Conflict (this seems to be a hot topic here!), and health related topics; as well as astronomy, langauges and many others.

I have no idea how it is funded but intend to take the opportunities that it is offering. This may be of particular relevance to the OP who began the thread about how we do we fill our time.

I hope that you will find something of interest.

Luckygirl Mon 18-Jan-16 15:10:02

And this one might be of interest to us all, as avid posters!: Why We Post: the Anthropology of Social Media.

Badenkate Mon 18-Jan-16 16:24:52

These courses are great. I' ve done ones on Forensics; Identifying bodies; Shakespeare plays and how they were influenced by history; The aftermath of the First World War.... There are courses on Writing, Living with Dementia Sufferers, Art, really anything you might be interested in. They are absolutely free and produced to a very high standard by some of our top universities. I really recommend that you take a look at Luckygirls link and maybe give it a go. You can work at your own pace

M0nica Mon 18-Jan-16 16:37:23

These are fabulous, just what I was looking for, but didn't know I wanted.

emmasnan Mon 18-Jan-16 16:40:25

I've done one of these courses, really enjoyed it and have just signed up for another.

No rush to complete and put together well.

Lapwing Mon 18-Jan-16 16:41:04

I have just signed up for their genealogy course 'Researching Your Family Tree'.
It starts on 14 March and I am really looking forward to it.

Stansgran Mon 18-Jan-16 16:49:10

DH did one on Hadrian's Wall and enjoyed it. He has a bad attitude to technology and I would love him to go on a love your pooter course.

Luckygirl Mon 18-Jan-16 16:57:15

The world is your oyster with these courses, that are categorised as MOOCs - massive open online courses - and they are available from universities all around the world. Lots of ones from crack US universities.

What a wonderful use of computer technology!

wot Mon 18-Jan-16 18:51:47

I've done the psychology course but am interested in the one you mentioned about "Why we post" can you tell me what category it comes under so I can ring it please? It looks interesting!

whitewave Mon 18-Jan-16 18:59:35

I have done Agincourt and WWI Trauma and Memory plus one other.

I am in the middle of Environmental Humanities and signed up to start Climate Change plus How to deal with aging ( or something like that)
I also have my eye on Richard III and further signed up for another WWI course!

Love them. Like particularly chatting and exchanging views with people from all over the world. No arguments there! Just good debate and lively discussion.

wot Mon 18-Jan-16 19:15:49

I found the "Why we post" course and joined it, thanks!

Pittcity Mon 18-Jan-16 19:16:23

I've gone mad and signed up for three. Joining Lapwing on the Family History course!

Alima Mon 18-Jan-16 19:58:08

I have just signed up for the Agincourt course and the forensics one. They sound brilliant, thanks for heads up Luckygirl!

Imperfect27 Mon 18-Jan-16 20:01:07

Thank you Luckygirl - this is a GREAT find! My son is visiting and apparently knew all about them and is already signed up to the one I was most interested in! We need to link this to the thread on 'how do you fill your time smile.

thatbags Mon 18-Jan-16 21:55:33

There is also this site for free online courses: www.coursera.org

Luckygirl Mon 18-Jan-16 22:03:17

Coursera is apparently not free from what I can see - is this right bags?

thatbags Mon 18-Jan-16 22:17:34

Oh, sorry! I thought it was. Scrub that then.

Badenkate Mon 18-Jan-16 23:18:26

The two sites that I've done courses on and that I know are free are Futurelearn and EdX. I must say of the two I prefer Futurelearn. The courses seem to be produced much more professionally, but that maybe just the courses I've done.

grannyactivist Mon 18-Jan-16 23:25:50

Luckygirl and bags - some of the coursera courses are free and otherwise there is financial help available if you fill out an online form and qualify.

Eloethan Tue 19-Jan-16 00:22:19

Thanks for the information. These sound very interesting and I'm going to have a look.

Lyndylou Tue 19-Jan-16 09:03:14

I totally endorse this post. I completed a couple of courses on Futurelearn last year and really enjoyed them. One of them was really aimed at teachers who will be teaching computing coding under the new curriculum, but was open to all. As my grandson's school seem to be ignoring coding and hoping it will go away, the course gave me loads of ideas for doing things with him online to give him a head start. Looking forward to doing more courses this year.

Luckygirl Tue 19-Jan-16 18:53:07

Thanks for that Lindylou - I have flagged up that course with the teachers in school where I am governor.

I have also just noticed that there is a course for carers of people with dementia to help them understand and deal with challenging behaviour.

Elegran Tue 19-Jan-16 19:14:53

I have done free Corsera courses.

petallus Tue 19-Jan-16 20:26:26

I also have registered for the Literature and Mental Health course which starts on 1st Feb.

I'm really looking forward to it and have just tried a taster which was great.

I do find poetry, both writing and reading, very helpful when going through difficult times.

rubylady Wed 20-Jan-16 05:28:32

Thank you. I enrolled on forensic psychology and "What is the Mind?" courses. That should keep me out of trouble for a week or two. grin