Gransnet forums

Discount codes/offers

Buying online?

(38 Posts)
Jackthelad Fri 03-Jul-20 10:29:48

I have a question that one or more of you might be able to answer. Yes we all love a bargain, but why do you shun the high street and buy on line. There is an old saying. Don't buy a pig in a poke. The answer is you were sold a piglet in sack, but when the money had changed hands and the sack opened the cat was let out of the bag. Cost saving might be the answer, but what about quality and value for money. I like to see exactly what I spending my hard earned cash on in reality; not a picture or description complete with sales blurb. I am told you do a tour of the first, but buy online. Where do you when all the shops have gone

Alexa Fri 03-Jul-20 10:33:58

That is why the website itself together with easy returns system matters to me when I choose an online retailer.

Teetime Fri 03-Jul-20 12:21:58

I have this basic principle - its my money, I earnt it and I'll do what I like with it.

dragonfly46 Fri 03-Jul-20 12:24:19

I agree with Teetime. I have not been allowed out for a long time now and without online shopping I would have been bereft!

Charleygirl5 Fri 03-Jul-20 12:29:51

Where I live even with a Blue Badge, parking is a major problem. Lots of areas have been pedestrianised, I cannot walk very far so for me it has been a lifeline.

Poppyred Fri 03-Jul-20 12:32:36

Don’t like walking round the shops... my feet hurt after 5 minutes and then my arms from carrying heavy bags and don’t start me off on having to pay ridiculous prices to park! So much easier ordering online, trying on at home and then down to local spar to send back if not to my liking.

Cheaper for the retailers to sell online - no exorbitant rents to pay either.

NotSpaghetti Fri 03-Jul-20 12:47:58

jackthelad I do lots of research before I buy things - online or offline - and tend to buy online as I’d have to drive miles to see the items in person. Why would I limit my choice to the nearest places when what I want is available only (say) in Scotland.

I recently bought some radiator valves online that I’d have had to drive 50 miles to a city to see them first. Local plumbers can’t cary the full range of anything, and why should they.

Even big shops like John Lewis don’t have everything in the real high-street shops.

I want a particular kind of thing, I know what I like and I do some research. I’m happy to pay more if I really want something. Not everything on the internet is cheaper! I’ve just spent more on a particular marker pen for example than I would in a shop - but nowhere within 25miles sells them anyway.
Why would I buy what I don’t really want just because it’s in a shop I can travel to?

I don’t really understand your question to be honest. It all seems obvious to me.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jul-20 12:53:10

Can't go out
Shops have been shut
I don't like crowds
I can't whiz round like I used to
I cannot get some things I want in the shops

Even online some well known firms have no stock of what I need.

Awaiting two orders - oh, and a grocery order
That makes three orders.

Does that answer your question?

ElaineI Fri 03-Jul-20 13:00:27

My money so I will buy where I find best value. Most places I use online have stores as well so they are still getting the sales. Companies that fail (not including the Covid times) have often not addressed the online market properly. JL doesn't have everything in store and hasn't for ages.
I can't get to shops easily as look after toddler full time.
Now doing click and collect online because of Covid.
People do what suits them best.

Purplepixie Fri 03-Jul-20 13:03:23

We have been in lockdown for all these weeks so we have had to buy online. When (if) we get back to normal then I will be having a walk around the shops but right now I am sticking to online shopping.

HAZBEEN Fri 03-Jul-20 13:08:14

For the last few years I have shopped more and more online, partly due to mobility issues but also heavy shopping - no car - long walk to bus stop - terrible bus service- all equals its easier to have it delivered to my door!

Curlywhirly Fri 03-Jul-20 13:17:38

Hate online clothes shopping, would far rather see the garment IRL so I can see the material and try several things on in the shops. As I am small, clothes shopping is a nightmare, I try on several outfits before I find a suitable one, it's such a faff ordering several things, only to have to re-pack and send most of them back! However, online shopping for other things is a God send, especially electrical and bulky items.

seacliff Fri 03-Jul-20 13:18:41

Our nearest proper shops are 23 miles away, so that's a 40 + mile round trip, cost of petrol and parking (not cheap). Then often when I get there, say for M & S, or Clarks, they won't have my size in the style I want. So I could go out a second day in the other direction, same distance/cost involved.

OR I can order online. Quite often it is free delivery over a certain cost. If I need to return, can then choose to go to shop and return or send in post. Cost is less than driving each time. I am very careful who I order from. If unknown I check them out on several sites.

I have just ordered three pairs of sandals in the sale, Josef Seibel and Remote, from a lovely relatively local shoe shop. One pair needs returning, one changed, so in that case I will now drive to the shop.

crazyH Fri 03-Jul-20 13:29:02

I needed new pyjama bottoms - ordered 3 from Asda...arrived within 3 days - perfect- no postage, no traipsing around shops. Right now , I don't feel like getting out of bed, let alone shopping.

Teacheranne Fri 03-Jul-20 13:37:33

Like many people, online shopping is my preference now for mobility reasons, including clothes. Yes, sometimes I have to send items back but it isn't a big problem, I just take them to the local post office where I can park outside. I need a new kitchen table but am struggling to choose one online as I'd like to test it out ( how sturdy it is!) so might have to go to the shops in person! But I will have to go to an out of town shopping area with parking outside.

emraeshine Tue 24-Nov-20 22:32:20

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BlueBelle Wed 25-Nov-20 06:26:41

I much prefer walking round shops trying things on it’s not only a trip out but you really need to try something on to be sure ......HOWEVER perhaps Jackthelad hadn’t realised that most of the shops have been closed for the last 9 months and many town centres have lost many shops because of the U.K. economy
This sounds such a strange question for this completely different year of 2020

Are you doing some research jackthelad and want the views of the ‘overs’

BlueBelle Wed 25-Nov-20 07:59:22

Why is this in discount codes and offers even more suspicious ???

Elizabeth1 Wed 25-Nov-20 08:08:27

Me too teetime I just love shopping on line from Next where I can return items very easily if not suitable.and it’s very good quality. Mind you I was didled once when I bought a cool bag from somewhere else on line it came in the size of a miniature which could only hold one wee item at a time I would say s child size but not exactly what I wanted or needed. I’m pleased to say my daughter took ownership of it for a wee lunchbox I was careful in future about sizes offered . I still buy on line basically because I live in a rural area where the nearest shopping retailers are so far away and I’m a little infirm at the moment.

suziewoozie Wed 25-Nov-20 08:22:14

Thank you for that Jack. It was so helpful, such a useful mansplanation. I really must stop buying cheap cats and piglets online after only seeing a picture or reading a sales blurb. It’s a good idea ( thank you again) to factor in quality and value for money. And I was completely unaware of what’s happening to my local high street so again, thanks for the heads up. What would we do without the boys to advise us?

TerriBull Wed 25-Nov-20 08:26:01

I've just ordered a coat on line from Monsoon with a 30% Black Friday discount. That shop has disappeared off my high street I'm sorry to say, but they have an in house section in John Lewis, where I'm collecting it. I personally don't want to go shopping when restrictions are lifted next week, it's not a particularly pleasant experience wearing a mask, so it's pretty much on line shopping for me until we are out of danger, whenever that may be, hopefully next year sometime.

MawBe Wed 25-Nov-20 08:39:27

It may have been well-intentioned @Jackthelad, but those of us who have been buying online for years could have reassured you that we do know what we are doing. Returns these days are usually free and easier to drop off at a PO or a local corner shop for courier pickup than trekking back into town with the expense of parking or contact risks of public transport etc even if the shops were open. No question of pigs in pokes or “shunning the High Street” on principle.

Witzend Wed 25-Nov-20 09:15:33

Most of my online buys at the moment are from retailers whose shops are shut at the moment. E.g. M&S, John Lewis, JoJo Maman Bebe, and Smyths toys. Oh, and the Natural History Museum online shop - plenty of dinosaur items!

Virtually all my knitting yarn - a lot - since the beginning of lockdown has been bought online but I’d do that anyway since the only place to buy it anywhere near is John Lewis, where it’s mostly a lot more expensive, not the cheap and cheerful I want for the sort of things I’ve been making.

I do try to avoid Amazon wherever possible. Incidentally a present I wanted for a little Gdd was cheaper from Smyths than from Amazon.

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 25-Nov-20 11:46:29

Agree with MawBe

Baring food and drink, I buy about 90% of what we need on line. I enjoy shopping around the internet for bargains and only twice in the past 5 years have I had problems and that was buying through eBay. However, their resolution centre sorted it all and I got refunds.

I'd love to go out shopping for clothes and shoes but I'm tall and frustration kicks in when I see the shops at my nearest shopping centre cater for Petite and not Tall. Oh! and my nearest shopping centre (Truro) is a 40 min drive away.

I'm curious as to what type of shops are closing. On my only visit to Truro this year there were 3 shops closed (boarded up). Two were jewellers and the other Hotters. Others were boarded up as they'd moved to larger premises. Some have been taken over as pop up shops.

So Jackthelad business is still good on the high street.

suziewoozie Wed 25-Nov-20 12:18:56

My mum used to say that the road to hell was paved with good intentions ?