Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Getting a bit despondent now..

(9 Posts)
Shinamae Sun 04-Dec-22 09:27:29

After reaching 11 stone five, ( I am 5‘5“ tall)I decided I needed to lose about a stone. My fighting weight is 10 stone. For the last three weeks I have avoided sugar as much as possible and it is quite possible for me because I used to eat an awful lot of sugary things including a whole angel cake in one evening and lots of ice cream Sometimes with clotted cream added! Anyway you get the picture. I weigh once a week on a Sunday morning and in the last three weeks I have only lost 2 1/4 pounds the first 2lb was the first week, I also have been doing quite a bit more walking and three afternoons a week I work in a care home from 2 pm to 8 pm and that is quite a physically demanding job.
I have allowed myself a small Christmas cake and 12 mince pies for the festive season now usually I would’ve already eaten the Christmas cake and probably about 36 mince pies by now! 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️ It’s making me feel it doesn’t matter what I eat because I am not losing not eating the bad stuff. any advice gratefully received.. I forgot to say I had a week in Gran Canaria a few weeks ago and it was all inclusive and boy did I eat loads and loads of sugar on that holiday but when I weighed when I come back I had not put on an ounce, I really do not understand this…😬

TillyTrotter Sun 04-Dec-22 09:34:30

You are not alone Shinamae . Losing weight to be healthier is not easy.
Have you seen the GN “I’m a Pear The Sequel Part 3” thread?
Lots of ideas and you could join in for support.
Good Luck!

Shinamae Sun 04-Dec-22 09:55:10

TillyTrotter

You are not alone Shinamae . Losing weight to be healthier is not easy.
Have you seen the GN “I’m a Pear The Sequel Part 3” thread?
Lots of ideas and you could join in for support.
Good Luck!

Thank you. I am an apple and all my weight is around my middle, oh and the back fat! I have no bum, and stick thin arms and legs. don’t know if Age makes a difference but I am 69.. is that an Apple thread?

Shinamae Sun 04-Dec-22 09:55:37

F there!!

Abitbarmy Sun 04-Dec-22 10:04:00

I’d say measurements are more reliable than weight, especially if you’ve increased your exercise. Sometimes also there’s a sudden fall of several pounds when you think things aren’t going well. Please don’t be despondent!

Shinamae Sun 04-Dec-22 10:12:29

Abitbarmy

I’d say measurements are more reliable than weight, especially if you’ve increased your exercise. Sometimes also there’s a sudden fall of several pounds when you think things aren’t going well. Please don’t be despondent!

Thank you, I know that weight loss is a law unto itself because I’ve done it before and when you think you’re going to lose you don’t and when you think you’re not going to lose you do!!! 🤷‍♀️but I am definitely not going to give up, obviously there will be a little bit of a blip over the Christmas period but that’s not going to put me off. My friend also said about trying on clothes which were tight so I will do that .. just off out for a walk instead of sitting watching the news…

Whiff Sun 04-Dec-22 12:50:35

Shinamae the pears thread is for all shaped fruits. I lost 7st over 5 years still fighting to lose the last stone and bit. But I realised it's a marathon not a sprint and hadn't put a time limit on myself . As doing that I would be doomed to failure. Did that for decades and put on more than I lost.

Read the pears thread you will see why NanKate started it. We are all in the same boat. Don't expect yourself to get too the weight you want . But accept for the moment the weight you are . You will lose what you want but you need to be patient.

If you don't eat enough calories your
body needs it will hold on to any fat stores to use those to fuel your bodies functions. So starvation diets work for the first couple of weeks as you lose water but then your body rebels. If you are also exercising you build up muscle and muscle weights more than fat. Did you measure yourself at the start of your diet?

I had a few weeks when I started to do more exercise stuck to my calorie allowance but put weight on. But when I measured myself I had lost inches mad I know but true.

NanKate has renamed dieting eating less for life. A better way to think of it.

Be kind to yourself.

M0nica Sun 04-Dec-22 13:11:56

It is not uncommon to lose weight in fits and starts. I would see Christmas and the leftovers through, then after Chiristmas, be really strict with yourself for just a couple of weeks and you will probably find it starts weight loss again.

When you eat a lot of sugary things or even carbohydrates it can lead to your body retaining more water in your tissues and if you have a couple of days cutting back on carbohydrates, you suddenly have a day of weeing all day and the weight falls off.

It sounds as if what you are doing is right, but sometimes an odd boost of a couple of days or weeks of being really strict can reboost weight loss.

Shinamae Sun 04-Dec-22 20:55:05

I have now found the thread recommended thanks all for your advice…..💐💐💐