Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Wedding Invite ,lose a stone ?

(27 Posts)
NanaAng14 Mon 11-Jul-22 08:50:22

Have been invited to a wedding in 6 weeks and would like to 'drop a dress size '.
I am permanently on a diet.
Every Monday , I have a fresh start and by Tues / Wed its back to eating goodies in between meals !
I fancy wearing a jumpsuit on the evening and have ordered two designs in a size smaller !! to try and motivate myself .
Any advice or tips would be greatful .

H1954 Mon 11-Jul-22 08:53:09

Stop buying the junk food and goodies, eat less, move more and drink lots of water. Good luck

aggie Mon 11-Jul-22 08:55:27

Afraid I would have to order them in a size larger , every time I think about dieting I feel hungry !
I think moving more is a help , not just walking , but bending and stretching , pick up the pace ,

Lucca Mon 11-Jul-22 08:58:19

Buy the size that fits and relax, unless you are convinced you can lose the weight by portion control and chucking out the “goodies”. I don’t think you heart is in it to be honest

Yammy Mon 11-Jul-22 09:12:20

Buy a top and Skirt suit with an elasticated waist or a dress with the same that fits you now but would look O.K. if you manage to lose some weight. Buy a fantastic pair of shoes that will catch everyone's eye or a hat or fascinator that will do the same.

Forget dieting hard and you'll lose some pounds.
My DD always says they are looking at the bride, not you.

RichmondPark Mon 11-Jul-22 09:14:26

Have you thought about joining a slimming group today. Having to go to weigh each week gives a real focus. If you followed their plan to the letter and upped your exercise you would definitely be a stone lighter in six weeks.

Enjoy the wedding whatever the outcome.

BlueBelle Mon 11-Jul-22 09:19:24

Accept what you are unless your very very overweight buy a jumpsuit in the size for you ….don’t buy a smaller size then if you don’t lose the weight you will have wasted that money
Trouble with losing weight in the older age bracket is it won’t go off your tummy it ll go off your neck and arms or legs leaving them wrinkly
If you can do some exercises and cut the c…p food try but otherwise look good as you are

nandad Mon 11-Jul-22 09:25:22

Only problem with a jumpsuit is trying to get it off to go to the loo!
Slimming class/group works for me. Depending on how much overweight you are your local health authority may fund slimming classes for 12 weeks.

ExDancer Mon 11-Jul-22 09:34:09

My husbands go gave him 12 free lessons at the local Slimming World. He went. He lost 2 stones. He put it all back on during lockdown.

glammanana Mon 11-Jul-22 09:34:09

Make a list when shopping and stick to it don't buy any treats or nibbles its too tempting.
Do you do pilates it gets the weight off also 2/3 brisk walks every day will work for you .
I would still wear an outfit for my size nothing looks worse than being squeezed into an outfit and as mentioned an amazing hat or really special shoes will help draw the compliments.

DillytheGardener Mon 11-Jul-22 09:35:41

I’d agree with you there nandad - I dropped my jumpsuit sleeve in the loo and weed on in it at an event once. Never, never again.

Joseanne Mon 11-Jul-22 09:43:52

I'm with RichmondPark and ExDancer, a slimming club really works. I lost a stone in 4 weeks, and I wasn't huge to start. I wanted to be a size smaller for holidays.
Writing it down helped, a bit of measuring involved, cut out fats; quite easy to achieve.

Riverwalk Mon 11-Jul-22 09:58:30

It can be done, if you set your mind to it.

You could try alternate day fasting - minimal calories on fast day and plenty of water; and a daily hour's walk. On non-fast days no eating in between meals.

M0nica Mon 11-Jul-22 10:16:26

It is all in the mind. ify you really want to lose it. You will think ahead to a new eating pattern that involves food you enjoy eating, that is nutritional balanced in quantities that mean you do not gain weight.

Otherwise accept that you are the size you are and stop faddling around with permanent diets. if you stop thinking of food all the time you will probably lose weight anyway.

NanaAng14 Mon 11-Jul-22 10:27:55

Thanks for your comments .
Starts today - eat less sugary foods , do more walking!
Try and change my mindset from dieting to healthy eating.
Maybe rethink the jumpsuit idea , just thinking, more drinks in the evening = more trips to the loo .mm

Poppyred Mon 11-Jul-22 11:25:05

H1954

Stop buying the junk food and goodies, eat less, move more and drink lots of water. Good luck

Best advice! Also be more realistic- if you’re on a permanent diet you are not going to lose a stone in 6 weeks - 7lbs if you’re lucky and stick to the plan.

midgey Mon 11-Jul-22 11:45:45

You won’t be doing much walking today unless you are in North Scotland!!

NotSpaghetti Mon 03-Apr-23 13:47:07

How did you get on NanaAng14?

Norah Mon 03-Apr-23 13:55:29

NanaAng14

Have been invited to a wedding in 6 weeks and would like to 'drop a dress size '.
I am permanently on a diet.
Every Monday , I have a fresh start and by Tues / Wed its back to eating goodies in between meals !
I fancy wearing a jumpsuit on the evening and have ordered two designs in a size smaller !! to try and motivate myself .
Any advice or tips would be greatful .

Drink lots of water to fill up.

Eat veg and protein.

Walk MANY miles a day.

I've never known proper diet and exercise to fail.

Kim19 Mon 03-Apr-23 14:02:40

Don't 'diet' (mental cruelty) but cut down on quantities of absolutely everything but water. Worked for me and painless.

MiniMoon Mon 03-Apr-23 14:19:27

I'm sure this wedding has been and gone since the thread was started in July last year! NotSpaghetti is just asking for an update.

NotSpaghetti Mon 03-Apr-23 14:22:35

😀 yes, MiniMoon - but I suppose lots of people may be in this position of trying to slim a bit now that summer is approaching.

J52 Mon 03-Apr-23 14:50:16

Try something in a size smaller on, take a photo. Then stick the photo on the fridge, bread bin, biscuit cupboard to motivate you into not eating junk food or between meals.

J52 Mon 03-Apr-23 14:50:50

Oh didn’t see t was an old thread!

Whiff Mon 03-Apr-23 16:17:28

NanaAng you have set yourself a hard task I suggest you read the pears thread and join us there. Everyone has there own way to lose weight you have to find what suits you. Putting a time limit and a weight loss to aim for while it is achievable but you will have to be very strict and as one who tried to lose weight for decades and when I had a bad day gave up.

My story is on the pears. But I realised in 2017 it's a marathon not a spirit. I don't buy food I have no control over. Hence no bread products, chocolate,biscuits and ice cream . I do buy a 400g block of cheese but I cut it into 8 and freeze it and use a block at a time but only if I make a lasagne or pasta bake about every 3 weeks but I make enough for 6 dinners.

Like I said read the pears as there are plenty of tips there. And remember to measure yourself at the started of your journey and please don't be disappointed if you don't achieve your goal. If you have a bad day don't give up every day is a new start. Make sure you eat 3 meals a day . Don't skip a meal thinking it will make you lose weight quicker. Your body needs a certain amount of cals a day to work if you don't eat enough over days your body will hold on to its fat reserves.

I am speaking as a woman that used to be over 19st size 32 now just over 12st and size 16. I want to lose another stone and a bit and have been trying to lose it for 2 years but am not giving up.

Wish you well on your journey.