Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Excessive wind

(114 Posts)
GrandmaJulia6 Mon 30-May-22 09:59:17

Please help ! The stereotype of “old “ people breaking wind all the time is now applying to me and I’m only 66 ! I have not changed my diet at all and yet I can’t move without breaking wind ! My Grandchildren say “old people fart all the time !” and I hate being classed in this bracket .
Anyone got any tips as to how to deal with this embarrassment! Thank you

Georgesgran Mon 30-May-22 10:01:12

Blame the dog?

My SIL has this problem - luckily she’s hard of hearing, but she’s fit and active, so it doesn’t really bother her.

Lucca Mon 30-May-22 10:07:46

You should try it after chemo ??good thing I live on my own !

shysal Mon 30-May-22 10:14:59

I am afraid it is a problem that I have, following surgery for piles a few years ago. It is particularly noticeable when gardening, and I have close neighbours! I haven't found a way to avoid it blush

luvlyjubly Tue 31-May-22 07:43:26

You could try peppermint oil capsules from Holland and Barratt. They help me with this. I take the high strength ones 30 mins before meals.

Sparklefizz Tue 31-May-22 09:37:32

Try digestive enzymes and/or probiotics. If you have had antibiotics in the last few years, you probably have a gut imbalance, ie. an overgrowth of bad bacteria.

Whiff Tue 31-May-22 17:00:09

I am windy both ends . I'm 64 and got to the point where I don't let it bother me. One of my uncles used to say even the Queen farts and her poo doesn't smell of roses .

Just try and put up with it. My mother used to fart with every step but she said it's better than having a tummy ache.

Other people pick their noses and teeth which they can stop as they choose to do that. Which to me are awful habits .We can't help when we break wind.

My husband used to say let the wind be free for want of a fart killeth me . He said he saw it on a grave stone when he was young . ?

Shirleyw Tue 31-May-22 17:10:23

LOL whif, that was funny what your husband once saw on gravestone.
I tend to pop off if i stand up sometimes , dosent matter at home with the family but i try not to elsewhere lol...comes with age i think ...im 63

Whiff Tue 31-May-22 17:51:18

Shirley I am not the only one who breaks wind when we do squats at exercise class. My daughter said when she did hot yoga lot broke wind. She said it was due to the heat and the positions. This was when she was in her 20's. Now in her late 30's she does boxercise not windy .

Oldbat1 Tue 31-May-22 21:05:05

Since starting statins I am definitely more windy.

Ali23 Tue 31-May-22 21:22:05

Probiotics definitely help to keep the wind down.

Whiff, you made me laugh, as my mother in law also used to break wind with every step. ?

dahlia Fri 03-Jun-22 17:58:43

I became sensitive to onions in my late 60's, leading to a build-up of wind until I realised what was causing my problem. Many people become sensitive to different foods as they grow older - could you try eliminating one particular food for a week and seeing if things improve, and if not, try a different food? I also take probiotics daily, which do help. Good luck - it's no fun!

Aveline Fri 03-Jun-22 18:07:40

I'm pretty flatulent but not bothered about it. Where ere you be let the wind run free!
It makes a lot of little boys very happy if you let fly!

Hetty58 Fri 03-Jun-22 18:15:10

My friend drinks Kefir daily for that problem - and to ward off urine infections. She avoids dried fruit altogether now, as it seems she can't digest it without producing wind!

purplehead Fri 03-Jun-22 19:00:47

I take charcoal tablets for this and find they really help. You can buy them in H&B and they are not expensive.

dlizi4 Sun 05-Jun-22 11:13:00

Activated Charcoal capsules! They do work

farmgran Sun 05-Jun-22 11:19:21

I found I was farting all the time, particularly in the supermarket for some unknown reason. They were just quiet little pops but still, not good!
I've given up bread and things have settled down a lot and I generally feel better. As soon as I give in to a nice piece of Vogels it all starts up again.

Daddima Sun 05-Jun-22 11:21:39

I ( like Her Majesty) have had a fartectomy, so never pass wind.

I remember after a colonoscopy it was like the camp fire in Blazing Saddles in the wee recovery room.

Sorry, OP, I can’t offer any advice.

Caro57 Sun 05-Jun-22 11:23:32

Just be aware that it can be a sign of one’s system being out of sinc and it may need checking

Danma Sun 05-Jun-22 11:23:53

I give my dog charcoal biscuits. I don’t know if that’s any help to you
Good luck, it’s seriously embarrassing but you’re not old ?

21Tinkerbell Sun 05-Jun-22 11:24:06

I have a very bad problem following anal damage when my first child was born 40 yrs ago. So bad is the problem (and possible incontinence ) that I have a micro stimulator supposed to help with peristalsis like poo movements. I live in fear of uncontrollable wind. As dlizi4 and purplehead say charcoal does help. The prof who did the initial op said to eat them like sweets if need be. What about discolouring your teeth. No win situation.

Leolady73 Sun 05-Jun-22 11:27:49

Peppermint capsules help

H1954 Sun 05-Jun-22 11:28:54

Daddima

I ( like Her Majesty) have had a fartectomy, so never pass wind.

I remember after a colonoscopy it was like the camp fire in Blazing Saddles in the wee recovery room.

Sorry, OP, I can’t offer any advice.

????? I've just looked up "fartectomy" on Urban Dictionary!
Oh Daddima....I do hope not! ?????

grannygranby Sun 05-Jun-22 11:30:59

I remember trying charcoal tablets when this first started I was nearly sixty and had a fussy new boyfriend. I looked in the mirror and saw my teeth were black it really made me laugh in a black humoured way. I tried avoiding lactose etc etc in the end I avoided him. It doesn’t seem to affect me now very often. Though I do remember a family gathering where I ended up on the floor and everyone was watching me and trying to help me get up as I was frozen because I knew I would fart when I moved.
Keep up the pelvic floor exercises and fermented foods are very good for your microbiome.
My mum told me that when she was courting my father she was walking downstairs entering a posh event with him in a slinky silk gown and she farted. My dad (as he later became) said ‘do you know the chorus?’ Bodies are a nightmare sometimes you have to laugh.

Sootie2021 Sun 05-Jun-22 11:31:56

I believe it is an imbalance of good and bad bacteria. I’ve had to it out wheat and certain vegetables, onions being one of them. Probiotics really help, as does cutting out processed food. Good luck.