Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

No I really don't need a cycle helmet... or do I?

(101 Posts)
Mrskipling Fri 29-Apr-22 10:06:31

On the one hand, it's a bit health and safety gone mad. I've been cycling for half a century, on and off. Never had a helmet, don't need one now, and a peaked cap keeps the sun out of my eyes better.

On the other hand, I've been chatting to a couple of cyclists my age (60s) recently who are horrified I don't have one and recommend I should get one pronto. And "nobody thought seat belts were necessary until they became compulsory, but who would think of not wearing one now?".

Any thoughts?

henetha Fri 29-Apr-22 10:07:36

Wear one, I think.

25Avalon Fri 29-Apr-22 10:11:29

If you come off your bike and hit your head, which is quite possible, then you could suffer serious injuries. When they were young my kids weren’t allowed to go out on their bikes unless they wore a helmet. Now dd teaches her children the same. Wear one. Apart from protecting yourself it sets a good example.

Mrskipling Fri 29-Apr-22 10:23:02

I hadn't considered the issue of setting an example, thank you.

Zoejory Fri 29-Apr-22 10:26:30

If you want to wear one, do so. If you don't, don't. It's not a legal requirement in the UK.

Mrskipling Fri 29-Apr-22 10:27:52

I should probably add that I mostly just cycle in parks and on cycle paths, and quite slowly. Luckily we have cycle paths quite close to the house, so no need to go on the roads.

AGAA4 Fri 29-Apr-22 10:29:41

Traffic is much worse now. If you are cycling somewhere quiet then probably ok with no helmet but busy roads essential.

nadateturbe Fri 29-Apr-22 10:32:03

I was on the committee of Headway, a support organisation for those suffering from head injury. It was many years ago when my son was badly injured in a RTA.
We had a debate at annual conference and decided better to wear. I can't remember the statistics now.
No one wants to risk a serious head injury. It can kill or affect you permanently.
Wear your helmet please.

Jane43 Fri 29-Apr-22 10:32:33

The roads are so much busier than they were 50 years ago and motorists don’t always respect cyclists and cycle lanes. It’s not relevant how many years you have been cycling, today’s roads are very dangerous and I think a helmet is essential for any cyclist today, one could save you from a serious head injury.

lixy Fri 29-Apr-22 10:33:39

I always used to wear one because I insisted the children did so had to really. Then my helmet got lost on a train one time and I didn't replace it - children had long left home by then.

My DS was horrified when he saw me cycling without a helmet a few months ago, so now I have one again to stop him nagging for his peace of mind. It's fluorescent yellow and cost £15 from Go Outdoors.

On balance I prefer to have a helmet on, 'just in case', and also these days as an example to the GC's.
OH has never had one and point blank refuses to consider it though.

grannyrebel7 Fri 29-Apr-22 10:37:14

Wear one I say. Do you remember what happened to James Cracknell? The helmet saved his life.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 29-Apr-22 10:38:09

If you are knocked off your bike by another vehicle and suffer a head injury which wouldn’t have happened, or been so serious, had you been wearing a helmet, then if you try to sue the driver you will immediately be met with the claim that you are guilty of contributory negligence. It isn’t worth the risk. I live in a rural area and the couple opposite often go out cycling round the lanes - always wearing helmets.

nadateturbe Fri 29-Apr-22 10:40:49

Good for you lixy.
My ex didn't wear one, went over the handlebars, and ended up with a huge gash on his head, and he was lucky just to have that.

Jaxjacky Fri 29-Apr-22 10:44:17

It never ceases to amaze me the number of families out cycling where all the children have helmets, the adults don’t. A brain injury, or death would shatter any family, I don’t understand why adults think they’re immune.

boheminan Fri 29-Apr-22 10:50:09

This is a contentious issue for me. Eight weeks ago (like you, Mrskipling after cycling for 50 odd years) I hit a kerb and came off my bike (no helmet). I cycle down one very quiet lane to reach town every day (no cars). I didn't hit my head but broke my ankle in multiple places. During my excursion to hospital in an ambulance, I got ticked off by paramedics, then doctors, then nurses because I wasn't wearing a helmet, and 'what if'? When I get on my feet again and hence bike again, the first thing I'll do is cycle into town to the nearest bike shop and buy a helmet...the 'what if' has stayed with me, it was too close for comfort, so 'go for it' Mrskipling.

grannyactivist Fri 29-Apr-22 10:58:54

I’m horrified too!

With the sole exception of myself we’re a cycling family and our children were brought up to never cycle without a helmet. When our daughter was 14 (and helmets were extremely unfashionable and less common than they are now) she was hit by a car and her helmet split into three pieces, but she escaped without injury to her brain. The police took her helmet for their ‘cycle safety’ roadshow and the Neurology Consultant declared my daughter’s lack of a head injury to be a miracle.

My husband cycles with a group of men and all have tales of cycle accidents where not wearing a helmet had severe consequences; including the man who had a head injury falling from his bike during a dizzy spell - he was only in the local park. A man from our church was found unconscious on a quiet country road with a life changing head injury, he had to learn to walk and talk again.

Mrskipling Fri 29-Apr-22 11:02:09

I hope you feel better very soon boheminan, that sounds scary.

Mrskipling Fri 29-Apr-22 11:08:42

Thank you for your views everyone. Food for thought.

I'd always thought that because I cycle on paths, I'm no more likely to hit my head than if I was walking on those same paths. I don't wear a helmet to walk in the park, so why wear one to cycle there? That's what made me think it was just the machinations of the nefarious marketing men, trying to make us all think we couldn't leave the house without one!

But when I'm out I see such a mixture of people of varying ages who do or don't wear helmets that I wanted to see what other people think.

Petera Fri 29-Apr-22 11:10:04

I write this as someone who wears a helmet and insists my grandson does too, but there really isn't any evidence I'm aware of beyond anecdotal they do any good. You can find a summary here

www.cyclinguk.org/campaigning/views-and-briefings/cycle-helmets?msclkid=808e4e01c7a311ec8b997a29509601ea

What there is evidence for is wearing a motorcycle helmet while driving a car (something like 15% of traumatic brains injuries come from car accidents) but strangely no-one seems to suggest this.

Katek Fri 29-Apr-22 11:13:32

Wear the helmet! Have you ever seen pictures of damaged helmets after cyclists have fallen off? Those cracks and dents could be your head.

Elizabeth27 Fri 29-Apr-22 11:14:57

I do not cycle but the helmets look fairly lightweight and comfortable so I do not see why you wouldn’t wear one.

Just because you haven’t fallen so far does not mean you will not.Seems and easy thing to do to prevent a head injury.

MawtheMerrier Fri 29-Apr-22 11:15:15

Mrskipling

On the one hand, it's a bit health and safety gone mad. I've been cycling for half a century, on and off. Never had a helmet, don't need one now, and a peaked cap keeps the sun out of my eyes better.

On the other hand, I've been chatting to a couple of cyclists my age (60s) recently who are horrified I don't have one and recommend I should get one pronto. And "nobody thought seat belts were necessary until they became compulsory, but who would think of not wearing one now?".

Any thoughts?

This is a wind up, right?
You cannot be serious.

karmalady Fri 29-Apr-22 11:22:43

I wear a top of the range, for safety, helmet, do not even go to the local shops without it on my head. If op is ever in an accident involving a head injury, op will be classed as negligent.

MerylStreep Fri 29-Apr-22 11:24:48

I’m with you, Maw
But just in case your serious MrsKipling have you ever spoon fed or changed a nappy on an adult who was unfortunate enough to have a brain injury, obviously not is my guess.
Wear a bloody helmet.

Nightsky2 Fri 29-Apr-22 11:25:07

nadateturbe

I was on the committee of Headway, a support organisation for those suffering from head injury. It was many years ago when my son was badly injured in a RTA.
We had a debate at annual conference and decided better to wear. I can't remember the statistics now.
No one wants to risk a serious head injury. It can kill or affect you permanently.
Wear your helmet please.

What a wonderful support organisation Headway is. My eldest son is very involved with them and helps raise funds for them every year.

No one should ride a bike without a helmet. If they saw the injuries my son has seen when having to visit people in their homes because of the very severe injuries they have sustained they would realise the danger they are putting themselves in.
Please wear a helmet