Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Exercise bike workout for a 75 year old?

(26 Posts)
Genevieve489 Tue 11-Jan-22 19:21:20

I'm 75 and have osteoarthritis. I'm trying to keep fit by walking every day, but have decided to make use of a stationary bike I haven't used it in years, but it makes a good clothes horse! However, I don't want to overdo it, just exercise enough to keep mobile and active.

Can anybody suggest an easy daily workout I could follow? Can't seem to find much online.

CanadianGran Tue 11-Jan-22 19:45:27

Do you have adjustable tension on your bike?

If so I would start with 5 minutes low tension, raise it for 2 min, lower it for 5. It's only 12 min, but it's a start.

Then the next week, raise the times to 6, 3,6 to 15 min total.

You can set a kitchen timer, or some bikes will have set programs.

Genevieve489 Tue 11-Jan-22 19:57:37

That's really helpful, thank you.

Kim19 Tue 11-Jan-22 20:27:20

I would also add that you let your body do some of the talking?

CanadianGran Tue 11-Jan-22 20:40:54

Absolutely, yes! Stationary bikes come in all forms and qualities. Some have adjustable tension, and the arms move back and forth,, some are quite simple. Don't over-do it if your are just starting. Put a radio or television show on and go slow to start.

Nansnet Wed 12-Jan-22 05:33:37

Genevieve489, I did have a little giggle at your comment about your exercise bike being a good clothes horse! I bought one quite a long time ago (I prefer to forget quite how long ago!blush), and it has since sat in the corner of my bedroom gathering clothes! I actually forget that it's there! I'm ashamed to confess that I've never, ever, so much as sat on it!shockI think maybe it's time I cleared off the clothes, and gave it a spin!

loopyloo Wed 12-Jan-22 10:44:53

Now I have a bike, is it possible to buy a stand so I can use it as an exercise bike?

Chestnut Wed 12-Jan-22 10:55:27

CanadianGran

Do you have adjustable tension on your bike?

If so I would start with 5 minutes low tension, raise it for 2 min, lower it for 5. It's only 12 min, but it's a start.

Then the next week, raise the times to 6, 3,6 to 15 min total.

You can set a kitchen timer, or some bikes will have set programs.

I really don't think you can say how long someone should do. It very much depends on her fitness and capability. 'Only 12 mins' could be far more than she can manage. If so then just start with 5 mins and if you feel that's enough then stop, but if you can carry on then do so. Stop when you feel like it. Go up a minute at a time and build from there. It may take a couple of weeks to reach 10 mins but so what. In a month you may be doing 15 mins.
If you find it difficult go on the bike three times a day for 5 mins. You have the choice to do it any way you like.

Joesoap Wed 12-Jan-22 11:21:17

I have found my exercise bike invaluable after my hip replacement,I use it often especially now when we have snow and ice everywhere, its dangerous to go out, so this is wonderful I wouldnt be without it. Take things gradually and you will enjoy it. Good luck.

Nortsat Wed 12-Jan-22 11:36:53

Morning Genevieve. I have some mobility issues and significant respiratory issues.

I bought an exercise bike about 6/7 months ago.
I began with 20 mins on setting one.
I use it x 5 times a week.

I gradually increased to 25 minutes and then 30 minutes and increased the settings. I am currently on setting four.
So 150 mins a week.
I have cycled the equivalent of 800 kms, which I regard as an achievement.

My best tip is to listen to lively music on Spotify. If I can sing along, then I consider my lungs are doing well.
I also have a fan next to me … as I get quite hot and a bottle of water for hydration.

Do let us know how you get on. Good luck.?

Ph1lomena Wed 12-Jan-22 11:38:49

I've had osteoarthritis in my knees since my 40s. A couple of years ago, I thought having an exercise bike would be a good idea (it was something I used to do at the gym) but found it irritated things. It may not be the same for you because everyone is different but take it gently to start with!

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 12-Jan-22 11:40:20

My husband bought an exercise bike on the recommendation of the surgeon who has carried out the replacement knee operations for my husband. He uses it to help exercise his new bionic knees, and we were joking with each other last night, that I could hear clackety-clack and hooting and puffing noises coming from his direction and was he doing a Thomas the Tank Engine impersonation? In which case I could be the Fat Controller!
On a serious note, I would agree with a previous post, to take it gently and listen to your body in regards to length and difficulty setting on your bike.

Theoddbird Wed 12-Jan-22 11:58:45

Ask your doctor. Your doctor is the best person to ask what is right for you...

jaylucy Wed 12-Jan-22 12:02:24

As you enjoy walking, why not invest in a treadmill ?
Depending on where you are affected, I certainly found it caused less problems with my knees and you could always sell the bike and put the proceeds towards the treadmill.
I use mine most days while watching tv or listening to music.
As it's electric, you can start at a very slow pace for just a few minutes and then extend the time and speed over time.

GrannyGear Wed 12-Jan-22 13:23:55

Why not try a real bike? It's surprising how many older people ride a bike. If you've been walking a lot, cycling uses some of the same muscles but you go further and faster. Why not give it a go!

I have osteoarthritis and 2 replacement hips. I wouldn't be without my cycling - though now I have a recumbent trike because my balance isn't good. I also have electric assist to get me up the hills. I find walking one mile is more tiring than cycling five.

The main advantage of a bike over an exercise machine is that you get out and about, and get plentyof fresh air and guard against Covid. I'm older than you and have friends in their 80s who enjoy riding their bikes. Don't let your age put you off.

bridie54 Wed 12-Jan-22 13:37:55

yes, you can buy a stand for your real bike. We bought one in Halfords years ago. Mr b used it a lot when bad weather stopped him getting out on the road. He sets up his laptop to watch while he cycles.

Pinkhousegirl Wed 12-Jan-22 14:07:32

Good advice to start slowly and build up, though I would agree with GrannyGear, why not try a real bike. I took up cycling at 60, and am now a year short of 70. Cycling is my zen - I go off by myself for hours on end, it is a wonderful calm space. I have done all three ascents of Ventoux - cycling, along with swimming, is one of the few sports you can carry on with as long as you like, BUT be aware it is not weight bearing, so you still need to factor that into your programme. Best of luck.

Iwtwab12bow Wed 12-Jan-22 14:41:17

I'm 76 and have mobility problems. I have a very basic bike I try 10 minutes a day. Sometimes it's an effort but it is strengthening my knees.

garnet25 Wed 12-Jan-22 14:44:34

I also agree with GrannyGear. I took up cycling at the age of 73 at the start of lockdown when I couldn't go to the gym. I absolutely love it, getting out in the fresh air, exploring and the achievements of miles cycled and hills climbed. I will not be rejoining the gym.

Mummer Wed 12-Jan-22 16:27:14

Blimey you're optimistic! I'd not bother with a bike. Can cause dreadful problems with tendons etc I'd sell the. Ike on eBay and buy some really supportive walking boots/shoes and a good stick! Fresh air so much better than struggling away in a cramped room on your lonesome....

Happysexagenarian Wed 12-Jan-22 18:00:25

This is interesting. Because of my asthma exercise is almost non-existent for me. Sometimes even walking round the house or up the stairs is a struggle. I rarely go out unless I have appointments to attend, and most of my hobbies are sedentary ones. Not a very healthy lifestyle. I've gained nearly 2 stones over the last two years.

Nevertheless, I weighed myself today (first time this year) and found I have lost a few pounds! Amazing and encouraging. It has inspired me to drag my exercise bike (bought a year ago) out of the spare bedroom to start using it again. It may help improve my asthma as well. I found in the past that doing 10 or 20 minutes a day and getting a little out of breath actually made me feel better and more energised. Being consistent about it and doing it every day is the big problem. I'm easily distracted.

I can't actually ride a real bike, never had one, and I don't intend to start falling off now. I would love a 3-wheeler but DH says it would be a waste of money because I'd hardly use it sad

Perhaps us static bikers could encourage each other here by posting our progress however slow or little it may be.

chattykathy Wed 12-Jan-22 18:25:32

As well as lively music I sometimes listen to podcasts and /or Woman's Hour. I found the time flies

Hetty58 Wed 12-Jan-22 18:33:18

I've cycled all my life (never had a car) and now, at 67 with a dodgy back and knees - have been told, by my GP, to reduce my cycling. Don't overdo things!

Happysexagenarian Wed 12-Jan-22 18:39:37

Hetty58

I've cycled all my life (never had a car) and now, at 67 with a dodgy back and knees - have been told, by my GP, to reduce my cycling. Don't overdo things!

How very disappointing for you Hetty. I think there are different styles of bikes that can support your back and don't stress ankle and knee joints so much. Might be worth exploring to be able to continue cycling.

Ydoc Wed 12-Jan-22 20:52:14

We just got my 95 year old dad a new exercise bike. He uses that, does some sit ups and also uses 2 house bricks as weights. Do as much as you feel comfortable with