Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Has anyone following the NHS weight loss plan

(41 Posts)
Itsnell Mon 06-Sep-21 08:43:47

Hello
I’ve been reading about The NHS plan and I’m wondering what it’s like to do? Can anyone explain it to me and how you find it please. I’m someone who can’t stick to weightwatchers or SW or any other diets

Whitewavemark2 Mon 06-Sep-21 08:48:47

? yes done them all.

My best weight loss plan is called will power.

If anyone can find it please let me know.

But seriously, I think that it is as good as any other and free!!

So give it a go you have nothing to lose but your weight.

rosie1959 Mon 06-Sep-21 08:59:27

I have a plan called nutra check I downloaded the app and you get a free trial I have found it to be very good and gives loads of information.
It even gives pictures of the food you are choosing It shows how many calories fat carbs and protein each food choice is using giving you a daily running target
You can also enter all sorts of exercise including gardening housework walking ect and gives you calories burned

Whitewavemark2 Mon 06-Sep-21 09:07:43

I do that as well ??

rosie1959 Mon 06-Sep-21 09:40:49

I have borrowed an exercise machine for the week no excuses you have to walk
I actually go to WW but probably more for the company each week

Whitewavemark2 Mon 06-Sep-21 09:44:50

Yep got one of those as well???

Here is mine.

rosie1959 Mon 06-Sep-21 09:49:15

That lovely face is a a Cairn terrier

Whitewavemark2 Mon 06-Sep-21 10:10:06

Yes! Duncan.

Just off for a walk in some woods in the shade.

Blossoming Mon 06-Sep-21 10:17:15

You can download the NHS weight loss plan from their website. It looks like some good advice on healthy eating and exercise.

tinyurl.com/NHS-weight-loss-plan

M0nica Mon 06-Sep-21 14:27:56

Every diet plan is useless for some people and really effective for others. We each have to find the one that works for us.

I swear by the 5:2 because it suits me. 7 years ago I lost 2 stone following it and I haven'y put it back on. Others find it utterly useless and hard to stick to.

The NHS one requires calorie counting, which doesn't suit everybody.

Shirleyw Tue 07-Sep-21 03:09:45

I follow nhs weight loss, the app is good , lost a few stones through calorie counting…..it’s portion control for me more than anything…..also they have fitness videos of all types for free…..

Shirleyw Tue 07-Sep-21 03:11:54

….also this is my personal trainer….she dosent charge, just to be well fed and watered and a comfy home and loads of fuss ?

SuzieHi Tue 07-Sep-21 05:09:48

I used NHS app from Feb- July- calorie counting/weight log. In addition to virtually no Carbs! Lost 1.5 stone Haven’t put it back on as watching scales & eating less than last winter. Use determination to get you past first 2 weeks ( hunger/ bad habits- snacking?) then it gets easier. In first 2 weeks I ate an apple/ rice cake /cup a soup if hungry between meals. They do contain a few carbs but minimal
For me best diet ever. Good luck!

Coolgran65 Tue 07-Sep-21 05:46:49

I wanted to lose weight as it had gradually been creeping up since retiring 13 years ago. I am now needing to lose 2 stones and the deciding factor was i am now diabetic with neuropathy.
A friend told me about the free app Lose It. It works like the App pp mentioned, I think NHS.
The basic version is free and it is perfectly adequate and easy to use. No need to upgrade to Premium. Enter the food and it calculates the calories used from your calorie allowance. This works for me as a I have no will power. The App has a very comprehensive list of foods and you can add to it if necessary. Portion control helps so much and I keep the kitchen scales sitting out on the kitchen bench. Its geared to lose 1 - 2 lbs per week but in two weeks I’ve lost 8 lbs as I haven’t used my full allowance of 1500 calories. Not hungry once.
I don’t sleep well and sleep best from 4am onwards. Breakfast/lunch is around 11am or 12. Coffee and rich tea biscuits around 3pm, dinner around 7pm. Lots left for snacks. I’m eating pretty much my normal foods but keeping tabs on calories encourages portion control. No food is banned. But being sensible means quicker loss. I like it because I don’t want to let myself down by going over the calorie allowance. I’d only be cheating myself.
Example - for breakfast i’d have toasted bagel with Philadelphia cream cheese and cooked ham. The ham is so much less calorific than grilled bacon. I may choose red meat for dinner but chicken or fish is very much lower in calories which will allow me to have an extra 2 finger Kit Kat.
I’d recommend this App.

Eviebeanz Tue 07-Sep-21 05:49:03

Morning everyone, I did manage to lose 2 stone during first lockdown. The weight came off fairly quickly following a diet made up of all the healthy eating knowledge that we all probably already have. I know it but I'm just really rubbish at doing it. I cut out sugar, (I'm a demon for cake) included as many different kinds of vegetables in my diet as I could each day, included lean protein, thought carefully about the carbs I ate each day and cut out bread. I changed to eating my main meal at lunch time. I also made sure I had a walk each day.
However, a house move and getting back to a slightly more normal way of life made it harder to keep up with it. DH ate what I ate too and also lost weight. So we're planning to give it another go (he doesn't know yet) ? I think most of us already know what we should be eating but I can't always resist temptation.

BlueSapphire Tue 07-Sep-21 08:16:07

Yes, I am using the NHS weight loss app. It is basically calorie counting, but it made me focus on what I was eating and drinking. So I cut down on portion size, snacks and wine(!). Have lost 4lbs over 7 weeks, which is slow going, but steady. Would like to lose another 4lbs or so.

Mattsmum2 Tue 07-Sep-21 08:19:08

I’ve been told the Michael Mosley 800 diet is good and my gp suggests it. No carbs I think is the message. I love bread so unsure how it’s going to work but going to give it a go.

teabagwoman Tue 07-Sep-21 08:30:26

It’s hard Itsnell, the spirit may be willing but our flesh is weak as they say. Agree whole heartedly with those who say you have to try different diets and find the right one for you and I think what’s s right may change over time. I would say expect to fall off the wagon at regular intervals, forgive yourself and get back on as quickly as you can manage and always leave room for small treats. I lost 7 stone 18 years ago and have kept it off, with fluctuations, since then. Good luck.

Urmstongran Tue 07-Sep-21 08:57:47

“I can resist anything except temptation.”
Oscar Wilde.

So true!

Eviebeanz Tue 07-Sep-21 09:06:25

I also think that different things work better at different times in our life. For example, although I enjoy walking I couldn't now always guarantee that I would feel like walking a long way every day.

crazygranny Tue 07-Sep-21 11:15:16

I found the online Slimmers World really good and easy to follow.

kevincharley Tue 07-Sep-21 11:21:53

You say you can't stick to WW & SW or any other diets. Chances are you won't stick to the NHS one either.
Sorry to be blunt.
But unless you're in the right frame of mind then no diet plan will work. A diet plan is a tool provided for you to use. If you don't use it, it won't work.
I too am awaiting the magic diet that will melt away my flabby bits but I'm sorry to say, without will power, it's not going to happen.

ayse Tue 07-Sep-21 11:22:32

If you’re diabetic the NHS diet does not take this into account. As someone up thread said carbs are the problem so cut down on bread, pasta, rice, cakes, biscuits, sugary tropical fruits, other root veg, alcohol, crisps etc.

Increase legumes, green veg and protein including salt free nuts. This encourages your body to begin to burn fat and no calorie counting. It may also help your diabetes. Michael Moseley reversed his diabetes by following this regime.

Over lockdown I lost a stone in weight and am no longer prediabetic. Diabetes.co.uk have discussions about the NHS weight loss programme. The programme seem to be run by weight loss companies and Weightwatchers has been mentioned.

Anyway, good luck

effalump Tue 07-Sep-21 11:25:37

Buy smaller dinner plates, or even use side plates.

ayse Tue 07-Sep-21 11:26:58

Mattsmum2

I’ve been told the Michael Mosley 800 diet is good and my gp suggests it. No carbs I think is the message. I love bread so unsure how it’s going to work but going to give it a go.

I limited myself to two slices of toast in the morning on a daily basis and a sandwich twice a week. I also only ate breakfast and dinner with unsalted nuts at lunch time (a small handful). It worked for me and improved my diet no end. It also lead to change in taste buds and I don’t enjoy sugary things very often anymore.