Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

PIANO LESSONS FOR OLDIES

(5 Posts)
NotTooOld Sun 07-Jan-24 11:32:47

I'd love to learn piano and am thinking of looking for a local teacher. Has anyone done this in their later year? Was it expensive and how did you get on?

Luckygirl3 Sun 07-Jan-24 11:58:13

There are some online courses that are good - try googling it. That might just get you going.

The problem with learning later in life is that it takes a long time to internalise the spaces between notes so you have to be always looking where your fingers are going! When children learn young they internalise those spaces for life.

A lot depends on what you are wanting to achieve - chords to accompany singing? Or actual "pieces" to play.

Marilla Sun 07-Jan-24 12:43:44

I would suggest looking for a local piano teacher as opposed to online tutoring. One to one lessons will help you get off to a good start and avoid incorrect hand positions etc.
I think it’s great you want to learn to play and I wish you all the best.

Allex50 Wed 27-Mar-24 12:35:41

I am learning (self). Cost of lessons a while ago was £30/hr so gave up. There's a guy on YouTube called Bill Clinton (UK) who I am following. Still got dyslexic fingers though! Looking for a Nord Stage 2 keyboard now as would like to play with other sounds and accompaniments.

Witzend Wed 27-Mar-24 12:48:57

I went back to the piano after retiring - and after a 50+ year gap! I had only ever passed grade 2 at 10, so it was more or less a case of starting again from scratch.

I bought Carol Barratt’s books 1-3 - Classical piano for adult beginners - and worked on my own for about a year, before joining a group (keyboard) class.

I would certainly recommend the Carol Barratt books, but a teacher would probably be better, if you can find one you get on well with.