Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Joe Lycett

(199 Posts)
SusieBQ Sun 20-Nov-22 18:00:36

Joe Lycett has apparently shredded £10,000 of his own money as an objection to David Beckham’s involvement with the Qatar World Cup. Makes me sad to think what good could have been done with this money.

Ilovecheese Sun 20-Nov-22 18:03:06

Has he done it then? I know he said he would but had not heard anything since. Where did you hear that he had?

Urmstongran Sun 20-Nov-22 18:04:10

Yes he did it.
I think he’s a fool.

nanaK54 Sun 20-Nov-22 18:06:44

This has made me sad and angry in equal measure - what an absolute prat he is (that's the polite version)

Kate1949 Sun 20-Nov-22 18:08:28

I've just seen that he has done it. I'm hoping it was a prank and not real money with so many people struggling.

SueDonim Sun 20-Nov-22 18:12:55

I don’t really know who he is but he’s garnered a lot of publicity for a very small outlay - if it’s even real money he’s shredded.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 20-Nov-22 18:14:31

Urmstongran

Yes he did it.
I think he’s a fool.

I am holding on to the thought that it may just be a stupid stunt.

If he has it’s a flipping sin against all struggling to feed their children and keep them warm🤬

SusieBQ Sun 20-Nov-22 18:19:22

Yes, let’s hope it was fake bank notes. I did quite like Joe Lycett and his art with Grayson Perry during lock down but this would be a step too far.

grannydarkhair Sun 20-Nov-22 18:25:08

If it’s true and was real money, I hope he also does something worthwhile with another £10,000, as money obviously doesn’t mean very much to him unlike a great many who are currently struggling financially.

JaneJudge Sun 20-Nov-22 18:25:53

It is David Beckham that is problematic. He thinks he will get a Knighthood for queuing up to see the Queen's coffin but is also supporting competition in a country that that is set up to control women and sexuality. The Fa have years to change their mind too. The amount of people who have died building the stadium/s in poor working conditions from other countries is concerning. Exploitative. David Beckham supports this. It's far worse than a publicity stunt from anyone

VioletSky Sun 20-Nov-22 18:30:43

I doubt it was real money

Clever way to draw attention to the fact that money>morals for some

grannydarkhair Sun 20-Nov-22 18:32:35

Not just DB, Robbie Williams and the Black Eyed Peas are amongst others who are going to perform in Qatar at various events during the tournament. RW says it would be hypocritical not to, don’t understand his thinking myself.

FannyCornforth Sun 20-Nov-22 18:36:23

I’m pretty certain that it was real.
I’ll eat my England football scarf if it wasn’t.
And I totally agree with Jane re Beckham.

How exactly are people supposed to protest then these days?
The only person that Lysett has affected is himself.
Any suggestions?

FannyCornforth Sun 20-Nov-22 18:37:29

grannydarkhair

Not just DB, Robbie Williams and the Black Eyed Peas are amongst others who are going to perform in Qatar at various events during the tournament. RW says it would be hypocritical not to, don’t understand his thinking myself.

Absolutely. What on earth is Williams thinking of? All they care about is £££
It’s utterly disgusting

lixy Sun 20-Nov-22 18:44:06

Oh no, I really thought Joe Lycett was more grounded than that. Really hope it was fake money, but even so...

As for all the millionaires hoping for fat fees from their involvement with the World Cup I hope they are donating those fees to appropriate charities, especially those supporting the migrant workers who endured such horrid conditions to build the stadiums.

rafichagran Sun 20-Nov-22 18:50:30

What a idiot he is. He could have given that money to people who need it.

FannyCornforth Sun 20-Nov-22 19:11:05

What if he’d spent 10 grand on a holiday? Or 100 grand on a car?
Would you be saying that under those circumstances he should have given his money to less well off people?

Elegran Sun 20-Nov-22 19:14:03

I am not particularly religious, but some of these comments remind me of a bible story from my childhood. Two days bfeore he was betrayed and killed, a woman came to Jesus as he met with his disciples. She brought a jar of expensive perfume, which she poured over his head as he sat there. Some of the disciples were horrified - "That could have been sold and the money given to the poor" they said. But Jesus told them not to criticise her "The poor you have with you always, but you will not always have me."

The publicity that Joe Lycett bought by doing as he said he would and shredding that money could not have been bought by giving £10,000 to charity - and it would have been a drop in the ocean of global poverty. It could not have been achieved by shredding Monopoly money either. If he did destroy his own money, he demonstrated clearly how important the issue is to him. I hope that he did do so, and that some eager beaver isn't going to produce evidence of it being just a stupid stunt.

VioletSky Sun 20-Nov-22 19:16:14

You make a strong point Elegran

FannyCornforth Sun 20-Nov-22 19:28:18

VioletSky

You make a strong point Elegran

Indeed she did.
As did I smile

nanaK54 Sun 20-Nov-22 19:29:52

FannyCornforth

What if he’d spent 10 grand on a holiday? Or 100 grand on a car?
Would you be saying that under those circumstances he should have given his money to less well off people?

No I wouldn't
Doesn't it feel completely different to you that he shredded the money?

FannyCornforth Sun 20-Nov-22 19:39:59

No, not all.
In fact, I think that he put his money to much better use

nanaK54 Sun 20-Nov-22 19:41:58

FannyCornforth

No, not all.
In fact, I think that he put his money to much better use

Thank you for answering
We will have to agree to disagree smile

grannydarkhair Sun 20-Nov-22 19:48:58

Does anyone seriously think that JL shredding this money is actually going to change anything in Qatar?
£10,000 might be a drop in the ocean of global poverty but it could have made a huge difference to someone. How many Christmas dinners for the homeless could it buy? How many gifts for disadvantaged children who will get none otherwise? Or it could have gone to a charity of JL’s choice as he said it would if DB changed his mind about going to Qatar.
Fanny re. your point - but would anyone have known if he spent his money either of those ways? Plus you could argue that he’d be keeping people in work by spending his money on a holiday or a car.
JL doing this just feels intrinsically wrong to me.

Callistemon21 Sun 20-Nov-22 19:50:05

JaneJudge

It is David Beckham that is problematic. He thinks he will get a Knighthood for queuing up to see the Queen's coffin but is also supporting competition in a country that that is set up to control women and sexuality. The Fa have years to change their mind too. The amount of people who have died building the stadium/s in poor working conditions from other countries is concerning. Exploitative. David Beckham supports this. It's far worse than a publicity stunt from anyone

It won't make any difference whatsoever to David Beckham, FIFA, anyone performing there or any of the football teams competing.

It's an empty gesture.

Far better to have donated the money to a worthwhile charity.