Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Raymond Briggs RIP ??

(38 Posts)
FannyCornforth Wed 10-Aug-22 08:50:19

The legendary author and illustrator has died aged 88.
I know that his work is very well loved amongst us on here.

merlotgran Wed 10-Aug-22 08:53:37

Sad new. Fungus The Bogeyman was a huge favourite in our house.

RIP

fairfraise Wed 10-Aug-22 08:53:41

I love The Snowman!

TillyTrotter Wed 10-Aug-22 08:54:23

Sad news. He was much loved by my DD’s (both in their 40’s)
His books and animated films will love on for sure.
RIP Raymond Briggs

Grandmabatty Wed 10-Aug-22 09:01:40

That is sad news indeed.

Mollygo Wed 10-Aug-22 09:11:48

RIP ? Raymond Briggs. His books have been a delight to my children and grandchildren and many classes.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-Aug-22 09:17:17

His writing epitomised the typical British pessimism, which I think is why he was so well loved.

Grandmadinosaur Wed 10-Aug-22 09:18:56

Very sad news but what a legacy of timeless books for future generations. RIP

Anniebach Wed 10-Aug-22 09:23:00

RIP. I loved Father Christmas

Litterpicker Wed 10-Aug-22 09:24:01

Just heard interviews on radio 4, with people who knew him. Our family loved grumpy but kind Father Christmas. I think RB was very much like that ?

Boz Wed 10-Aug-22 09:27:50

Love "Ethel and Ernest" his homage to his parents. This is available on Prime but maybe it will get an airing mainstream now.

J52 Wed 10-Aug-22 09:30:15

Anyone near the SW Scotland town of Kirkcudbright can see an exhibition of his work in the town Art Gallery. It runs until the end of October.

FannyCornforth Wed 10-Aug-22 09:37:33

Boz

Love "Ethel and Ernest" his homage to his parents. This is available on Prime but maybe it will get an airing mainstream now.

Oh, I didn’t know that it was a film. I bought the book when it first came out (1999?)

Whitewave, I love your term ‘British pessimism’ (I could get a bit political here, but of course, I won’t!)

Baggs Wed 10-Aug-22 09:40:57

Bit of a rant/grump warning. Move on quickly if you don't wish to read a contrarian view.

This is not sad news imo. I wish his family and loved ones all the best, and for him to RIP (as dead people do).

People say it is sad news because they love his creations. And the death of a creator in his prime would certainly be sad, especially for his family and friends but also for the rest of us who benefited from his (or her) creations.

An old person dying at the end of their life (88 is a good age) is not sad, it just is what happens and we should, I feel, just take it in our stride and send commiserations/condolences, if we personally know the person who died, to their family.

Forgive me my little outburst. It just really irritates me when people who are expected to die do die and then other people who didn't know them personally say it's sad. It's not sad. It is how life works and we all know that and expect deaths –even of famous people – all the time.

Gongoozler Wed 10-Aug-22 09:41:36

I still have my copy of Fungus the Bogeyman, which I bought for me, not my son!
Very clever man, sad news.

Baggs Wed 10-Aug-22 09:41:58

PS I think the OP says it well.

Blossoming Wed 10-Aug-22 09:50:07

Baggs you are entitled to your opinion but you cannot tell other people how to feel, or how to express their feelings.

RIP Raymond Briggs, you brought joy to many.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 10-Aug-22 09:51:24

We can still acknowledge their passing and reminisce about his past life.

grannydarkhair Wed 10-Aug-22 10:01:11

I have all his books, all are well read and show it. I saw When the Wind Blows many years ago at our Rep. It’s the only production where I’ve seen virtually an entire audience in tears at the end. Such a contrast to Fungus and Father Christmas.
And I must admit I feel the same as Baggs about someone of 88 dying. RB has left a wonderful body of work behind him and given much pleasure to so many of all ages.

Kate1949 Wed 10-Aug-22 10:03:59

RIP Raymond. I think it's sad when anyone dies, whatever their age.

Anniebach Wed 10-Aug-22 11:19:26

‘Any man’s death diminishes me,because I am involved in mankind’,

Kate1949 Wed 10-Aug-22 11:31:27

Spot on Annie.

sodapop Wed 10-Aug-22 13:22:51

Such a talented man who has given and will continue to give pleasure to many people.
RIP Raymond Briggs.

Baggs Wed 10-Aug-22 13:51:16

you cannot tell other people how to feel, or how to express their feelings.

You are right but I don't believe I did tell other people how to feel blossoming. I carefully used expressions like 'imo', 'I feel', 'irritates me' so that it would be quite clear I was expressing what I think, not what anyone else might or should think.

Baggs Wed 10-Aug-22 13:54:18

Anniebach

‘Any man’s death diminishes me,because I am involved in mankind’,

Who said this, please, anniebach?