Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

A discussion of the possibility of an enhanced virtual cruise

(98 Posts)
StarDreamer Thu 04-Aug-22 16:00:07

The concept of virtual cruise threads seems to be working well.

The Virtual cruise from Mainz along the river Main Click here to view is going well and has several active participants and maybe there are also other people reading, watching the linked videos, and enjoying the virtual cruise.

I have various ideas for future virtual cruises, such as the Valley of the Loire in France, first gathering in Paris and then travelling to the cruise ship by TGV train.

I have an idea that I put forward in this thread for consideration please, wondering if it might appeal to readers, yet wondering if it might be a virtual event too far.

So here is the idea.

Could we have a virtual cruise in a place where participants do not know the language, but we simultaneously try to learn some of the language using the free Duolingo course?

Proceeding slowly, at the pace of the slowest, starting to use the language bit by bit aboard the virtual cruise as we learn from the Duolingo course and explore the country.

For example, if we are taught how to say Good morning in the language in the course then we sometimes use it in the virtual cruise thread.

One needs to register, free, to continue after the first lesson in
Duolingo. Duolingo by default sets your profile to public, but it can be made private.

So can we discuss whether people like the idea of a cruise with language learning please?

If interested, please suggest ideas for where to go and which language.

I have thought of two possibilities thus far, but I will not mention them yet.

There can be an ocean going cruise ship as well as a river cruise ship if that is what is needed.

Here is a link to the languages available on Duolingo.

LINK > Doulingo courses

RayArt Thu 04-Aug-22 17:28:54

The two June cruises in France read much better to me. Every day was very colourful, educational and witty. It looked like people were having a lot of fun. As I speak German, I was looking forward to the next one which was going to be called Rheinmaidens. What happened to that?

I’m afraid this latest one seems very dreary and formal by comparison like being sent to do homework in a silent library. I don’t like the format with so many links. I like conversation like on a real holiday. I am reluctant to click on things where I can’t see https:// that tells me the name of the site. The number of links is overwhelming, not moderate which is says in the heading. At times it has looked like a personal lecture tour, teacher and one student so not very inclusive. I didn't understand the bit about treasure hunts and no teams. I haven’t wanted to join in for fear of being an interloper in a private conversation. Also I like to be free to chose what I eat. Vegan only is very restrictive especially in Germany and would be in the Loire. Is that what you are planning? Most language learning involves food in the early stages so how would that work? I wouldn’t be interested in a rigidly-controlled teacher-lead cruise.

StarDreamer Thu 04-Aug-22 19:12:00

Thank you, RayArt, for your comments.

> As I speak German, I was looking forward to the next one which was going to be called Rheinmaidens. What happened to that?

In the course of the first virtual cruise it became apparent that there are two very different approaches to the idea of a virtual cruise in a Gransnet thread.

So, the second virtual cruise, in which I was not involved, and the present one in which I am involved, each follow one of te two different approaches.

Realising that the two approaches do not really mix, those who like the one style decided to have Rheinmaidens, along the Rhine, starting in Switzerland, and I decided to start one from Mainz along the river Main.

So two virtual cruises, one for each of the two approaches, could be happening concurrently and separately. Participants in Gransnet could participate in one of them, both of them, or neither of them as each participant chose. That seems to me to be a good way to proceed, given the two different approaches to the way to proceed.

I don't know what has happened to the proposed Rheinmaidens virtual cruise. Maybe it will happen, maybe not, I don't know.

> I’m afraid this latest one seems very dreary and formal by comparison like being sent to do homework in a silent library.

Thank you for commenting. The river Main virtual cruise does have a more formal structure, but there have been some overland excursions, two as in a real cruise on this route and two that are not in the real life cruise. However, from my point of view it is quite exciting, several people have made suggestions at various times and these have been included.

There have been some interesting surprises discovered during the cruises.

> ^ I don’t like the format with so many links.^

The two approaches to virtual cruises have different policies for links

> I am reluctant to click on things where I can’t see https:// that tells me the name of the site.

Thank you for that feedback. Perhaps I need to have the link show the web address and write the title in the line below, like the caption on a picture in a magaine.

> The number of links is overwhelming, not moderate which is says in the heading.

Yes, the use of links has been more than originally intended, but the links are good for videos.

> At times it has looked like a personal lecture tour, teacher and one student so not very inclusive.

Well, people are welcome to post and participate that way, yet people are also welcome to participate by just reading and not post if that is what some people prefer.

I have tried to keep the thread going, so if nobody else posts, well I suppose it could look that way. I like to think that when people have made suggestions then I have acted inclusively. For example, there was a suggestion of a side trip, so we left the cruise ship moored up and went by train, and a very interesting side trip it was. There have been a number of things that people other than me have suggested that I would not have known about otherwise, including stopping at one place that was not on the map that I was using.

> I didn't understand the bit about treasure hunts and no teams.

It is working well, people other than me have found a garden, restaurants and a museum and so on.

> Also I like to be free to chose what I eat. Vegan only is very restrictive especially in Germany and would be in the Loire.

Well, one post in another thread was about parts of a creature that had not been allowed to live, and I felt distressed, so I tried to avoid that in the river Main cruise.

> I wouldn’t be interested in a rigidly-controlled teacher-lead cruise.

Actually, that was not what I had in mind. I have put forward a suggested format of a virtual cruise together with learning a little of the language, everybody being equals, Doulingo being the teacher. The idea to practice using the languagea little at a basic level mixed in with English.

I have started this thread so as to find out, I suppose, in the light of your comment, whether what I am suggesting will be regarded as a boring, tedious, slog, or as a wonderful opportunity to participate together in gathering information about somewhere and learning a little of the language, proceeding on the basis of teamwork, not a tomato and spoon race.

eGJ Thu 04-Aug-22 20:02:43

As a recent contributor to the Main cruise, I have enjoyed the experience and have clicked away merrily and tried to help with side trips too!
I’d join you on another trip and have a go at Duolingo……Italy ?

Hope you get lots of supportive post StarDreamer

Chewbacca Thu 04-Aug-22 21:09:47

Another here who really enjoys the virtual cruises StarDreamer. I particularly like it when we're free to explore on land and then come back and share what we've seen and discovered. You're an excellent tour guide!

StarDreamer Thu 04-Aug-22 21:57:14

>> I am reluctant to click on things where I can’t see https:// that tells me the name of the site.

> Thank you for that feedback. Perhaps I need to have the link show the web address and write the title in the line below, like the caption on a picture in a magaine.

Well, I took on board what you wrote and I put a link in my most recent post in the thread in that style.

The web address shows, but the https:// part does not get displayed on the page.

However, at least on my laptop computer, hovering the pointer over the link before deciding to click it does show the https:// part at the bottom left of the screen.

StarDreamer Fri 05-Aug-22 10:57:00

eGJ wrote I’d join you on another trip and have a go at Duolingo……Italy ?

List of rivers of Italy
LINK > en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rivers_of_Italy

The longest is the Po,

Po river cruises
LINK > www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/articles-europe-river-cruises/po-river-cruises/

The Arno goes through Florence. There seem to be short trips around Florence, but I have not found any cruises as yet.

River Arno
LINK > en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arno

I went to Italian classes for a while many years ago, and I thought I had forgotten it, but a week or two ago I tried a placement using Duolingo and found that I had remembered enough to get credited with eleven circles-full at the learning level. So alas I cannot now do the basic exercises as I don't think I can undo them. Though I can follow using the higher levels of each stage. This need not stop Italy being the choice though if people decide on Italy.

Though I can try to find out if I can get them uncredited.

StarDreamer Sat 06-Aug-22 12:47:21

Bumped to go round again.

RayArt Sat 06-Aug-22 13:32:41

I haven't had a chance to reply in detail and don't really have time to now. Why not take a leaf from Field of Dreams if it's something you want to do? It's not for me but more about the Rhinemaidens soon.

MawtheMerrier Sat 06-Aug-22 14:01:57

Thank you for enlarging my education RayArt
I had to Google “Field of Dreams “ and for the benefit of anybody else who didn’t know the origin of that famous line , here it is
“If you build it, they will come.”

Every day’s a school day!

StarDreamer Sat 06-Aug-22 14:10:42

Hello RayArt, thank you for posting again.

I wondered what the Field of Dreams to which you referred is about.

I searched and I found the following.

LINK > en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_Dreams

Which seems to fit with your post.

I searched on YouTube and there are various videos, both excerpts and discussions about the film.

Thank you for posting about it.

Yes, as long as it is not only me I am hoping to be able to proceed with such a thread.

It may well be Italy.

But whch river?

Perhaps the Po, starting the cruise in Venice.

Being a virtual cruise it will be able to go to places further upstream that real life river cruises cannot reach.

At present the virtual cruise on the Main is proceeding.

When that virtual cruise gets to Bamberg, and participants have had a look around Bamberg maybe Der Goldene Delfin can be moored up and everybody catch a train to Venice for a virtual cruise and learn some Italian expedition along the river Po.

Each to their own as to choice of virtual cruise style, I hope that you enjoy the Rhinemaidens cruise.

One point that might be of interest.

If one goes to Google maps,

LINK > www.google.com/maps

then searches for Venice, Italy then one can use the street view facility, not only on land, but on a small barge going along some of the canals.

I looked at that some time ago and I was able to enjoy a virtual trip on a barge along the canal that goes under the Bridge of Sighs, and quite a way further too.

MawtheMerrier Sat 06-Aug-22 14:55:13

Crossed posts? Albeit 9 minutes apart!

RayArt Sat 06-Aug-22 14:55:51

Sure. As Ray Liotta passed recently I thought the movie would be fresher in people's minds.

Thanks for taking onboard my suggestion about weblinks. Safer for all concerned.

I’ve visited Italy including Venice many times. Sadly, the drought is having a serious affect on the waterways.

More about the Rhinemaidens later.

Joseanne Sat 06-Aug-22 15:15:47

How about an Italian lake crawl starting with a trip on the Bernina Express to get to know each other first? Any one who derails the thread or causes trouble can be removed at St. Moritz to do a bit of free fall. We might see narmuts and ibex.
Now where have I put Gino d'Acampo's number? ? ? ?

Joseanne Sat 06-Aug-22 15:16:24

Marmuts!!

Joseanne Sat 06-Aug-22 15:18:44

They look friendly enough.

StarDreamer Sat 06-Aug-22 15:31:00

MawtheMerrier

Crossed posts? Albeit 9 minutes apart!

Indeed. I wrote the post as I searched and read, taking a while, so I had not seen your post until after I had posted.

Shirley48 Sat 06-Aug-22 15:47:57

Not a huge amount of interest in the possible virtual cruise? Sometimes suggestions are made / questions are asked / threads are mooted, but nothing happens - and one has to accept that there may be little or no interest in the topic.

StarDreamer Sat 06-Aug-22 16:52:16

Well, eGJ wrote I’d join you on another trip and have a go at Duolingo……Italy ?

So as long as it is not me on my own, I will start the thread when there is a break in the virtual cruise on the river Main.

That cruise started with just two participants posting, but gradually some other people have joined too. Also, maybe some other people are just reading and not posting, simply enjoying what is posted, and that too is fine.

That virtual cruise has reached Haßfurt and after a while at Haßfurt is due to get to Bamberg. Participants can have a look around Bamberg and maybe overland side trips will happen.

Here is a map of the route, from Mainz to Bamberg.

LINK > upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/Main-Karte-160710.jpg

So it is possible that the participants for the Italian virtual cruise may gather to have a look around Venice next weekend and then depart for a cruise along the river Po on the Monday after next weekend.

Participants can try to learn some Italian as we proceed, but that can be optional, just for those of us who want to do so.

What I am really enjoying about the virtual cruise is not forward planning other than the general route, so that only when the virtual cruise gets somewhere does a really good look at what is available there take place.

Italy has a lot of Google street view coverage, so that will be helpful.

StarDreamer Sat 06-Aug-22 17:54:59

Hello eGJ

So yes, it is Italy.

Is starting in Venice and a virtual cruise along the river Po alright for you please?

LINK > en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Po_(river)

LINK > en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Po_(river)#/media/File:Po_bacino_idrografico.png

LINK > www.duolingo.com/enroll/it/en/Learn-Italian

After the first lesson it will involve registering with Duolingo to continue. It is free but your profile will be public by default, but I switched mine to private.

RayArt Sat 06-Aug-22 18:01:59

Are we talking about one or two separate trips here? I recognise you Joseanne as the French cruise gourmet chef. If you can do the same with Italian food on a (not-teaching) lake crawl, that would be fantastic but only if the trip has the same fun vibe as the French cruises and a full on menu. I’m partial to a nice plate of Cotoletta alla Milanese or Ossobuco alla Milanese. Sorry if I have misunderstood and you meant a language course on the lakes. That wouldn't float my boat.

StarDreamer Sat 06-Aug-22 18:31:15

Well there now seem to be six virtual cruises being discussed.

Two completed in the South of France.

Then a deliberate splitting of styles, Argy and non-Argy, people free to choose one or the other, both or neither as they wish.

That seems to me to be a fair way to do it so that people who participate enjoy the virtual cruises, each according to their own choice or choices of style, without upsetting others.

One taking place, having been going for a while, from Mainz along the river Main. Non-Argy, vegan.

Three others that have not yet started.

Rheinemaidens from Switzerland to Amsterdam, on the Rhine, Argy style.

Italy, possibly from Venice along the river Po. Non-Argy, option to try learning some Italian.

Italy, lakes, Argy, omnivore.

Does that seem a reasonable way to proceed?

MawtheMerrier Sat 06-Aug-22 18:42:01

Embarras de richesses StarDreamer ?

eGJ Sat 06-Aug-22 18:51:10

Thanks for the updates StarDreamer. Is it easy to switch on Duolingo to private? Will have glance at site later on.
However I am enjoying the music in Hassfurt and will travel with you to Bamburg. Hope the train journey to Venice in this heat isn’t too tiring!

RayArt Sat 06-Aug-22 19:03:03

To be clear for those who'd like to join in one or other. The learning Italian one will also be omnivore?

What is Argy and non-Argy?