Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Slovenian music, songs and language

(15 Posts)
StarDreamer Tue 21-Jun-22 20:50:03

Slovenian music, songs and language.

StarDreamer Tue 21-Jun-22 20:52:55

I first learned of Slovenian music in the 1990s, watching a volksmisuk programme on the German television channel Sat-1 "Sat-eins" when it was available in the clear in the United Kingdom as it was broadcast using the same Astra direct broadcasting satellite cluster as Sky television.

Usually some Slovenian music was included in each week's programme.

One week there was a special prograame. I found it on YouTube.

LINK > Visiting Slavko Avsenik, Ramona Leiß, Rendezvous in Oberkrain 46 minutes 22 seconds

I am not sure if all of the lyrics are Slovenian, some might be German.

If you just want to have a look at an amazingly wonderful sequence, the following link goes directly to a few seconds before it starts.

LINK > An amazingly wonderful sequence

Trying it several times, I found that sometimes it goes almost immediately to advertisements, but if it does, refreshing may avoid that.

Chewbacca Tue 21-Jun-22 21:20:49

Ah StarDreamer that was a lovely trip down memory lane! I visited the Postonja caves back in 1978, when it was still Yugoslavia. The band and choir, singing the same music as in your link, played in the huge central subterranean hall; I remember that we bought a 45rpm record of the choir.
I remember seeing the "blind human fishes" that are unique to Postonja down there too; Olm, I think they're called. They're like fish/lizards but with fingers and are completely blind. Fascinating place to visit. Thanks for the memories!

StarDreamer Wed 22-Jun-22 00:02:27

LINK > Ne poznam te več

LINK > Lyrics in Slovenian and an English translation

Please note the use of the č character in Slovenian.

LINK > Google translate facility

Mollygo Wed 22-Jun-22 01:51:11

My hairdresser came from Slovenia.

MawtheMerrier Wed 22-Jun-22 09:10:54

Years ago Paw and I decided to learn Czech.
He spoke Russian and I am bilingual in German and we found it sat somewhere between the two languages. Amongst those in the class were a couple of young men married to Slovakian and Slovenian women and they were learning Czech as being as close as they could get !
Thank god Google translate had not take over language learning. In my previous life as a languages teacher and examiner my colleagues and I used to crack up (and sometimes despair) at the howlers students perpetrated thanks to Google.

ixion Wed 22-Jun-22 09:15:11

My sister in law is married to a Slovenian (50 years) and the nephews have dual nationality.
Not much they don't know about Slovenia.
I'll run this past them.

StarDreamer Wed 22-Jun-22 09:22:57

ixion, I think that the video of Ne poznam te več might have a verse towards the end that is not in the lyrics on the page translating from Slovenian to English.

If you are able to find out what it is about that would be helpful please.

Lucca Wed 22-Jun-22 09:52:47

MawtheMerrier

Years ago Paw and I decided to learn Czech.
He spoke Russian and I am bilingual in German and we found it sat somewhere between the two languages. Amongst those in the class were a couple of young men married to Slovakian and Slovenian women and they were learning Czech as being as close as they could get !
Thank god Google translate had not take over language learning. In my previous life as a languages teacher and examiner my colleagues and I used to crack up (and sometimes despair) at the howlers students perpetrated thanks to Google.

Same here, and when you said this is google translate they were always amazed at how we knew !!

ixion Wed 22-Jun-22 11:25:43

A close relative once, as part of his job, inspected the application form of a young international student hoping for a place at a higher education establishment in England.

He was bemused to read the following, in the applicant's Personal Statement-

To relax, I like to pleasure myself with my violin.

MawtheMerrier Wed 22-Jun-22 19:59:03

Google hadn’t been invented in 1958 but I still snigger at Gerard Hoffnung’s “Letters From Tyrolean Landlords”- which could have come straight out from Google translate

“Standing among savage scenery the hotel offers stupendous revelations, there is a French widow in every bedroomgrin ,
m.youtube.com/watch?v=sq-q6TcbHLE

Callistemon21 Wed 22-Jun-22 20:42:46

I intend to learn Croatian.
One day
And more Welsh than road signs

mañana

Lucca Thu 23-Jun-22 02:47:08

MawtheMerrier

Google hadn’t been invented in 1958 but I still snigger at Gerard Hoffnung’s “Letters From Tyrolean Landlords”- which could have come straight out from Google translate

“Standing among savage scenery the hotel offers stupendous revelations, there is a French widow in every bedroomgrin ,
m.youtube.com/watch?v=sq-q6TcbHLE

I once had some translation work while in Italy.they gave me a hotel brochure to check the English,. They wanted to explain how nice the private beach was as the water got deep quite gradually etc. they had written

“you can plunge slowly into a softly degrading bottom”

StarDreamer Thu 23-Jun-22 18:09:01

Callistemon21

I intend to learn Croatian.
One day
And more Welsh than road signs

mañana

LINK > OpenLearn Free learning from The Open University

LINK > Discovering Wales and Welsh: first steps

LINK > Croeso: Beginners' Welsh

StarDreamer Thu 23-Jun-22 18:39:47

StarDreamer

*ixion*, I think that the video of Ne poznam te več might have a verse towards the end that is not in the lyrics on the page translating from Slovenian to English.

If you are able to find out what it is about that would be helpful please.

Actually I think that it is all there.

They sing verses 1, 2, 3, 2, 3 last line of verse 3.