Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

West Side Story

(28 Posts)
notgran Wed 22-Dec-21 08:51:05

Went to see the new Stephen Spielberg version of "West Side Story" last night. I adore the original however I think this is even better. Dancing, singing, acting all top notch. AND the cherry on the cake, Rita Moreno. She played Anita in the original production and in her late 80's sings and acts fabulously. Surely she will get an Oscar. Highly recommended, I loved it (in case that wasn't clear grin

FannyCornforth Wed 22-Dec-21 08:52:43

Wow, ‘even better’! Really?
It was certainly a brave move by Spielberg

notgran Wed 22-Dec-21 08:58:48

FannyCornforth, I know it maybe sounds a bit of an OTT statement. However, with the exception of Rita Moreno all the actors are unknowns. The leads, Tony and Maria are young and more believable and age appropriate in the parts than Natalie Wood and Richard Beymer. They also are the singers and not dubbed, which shouldn't matter I know. The dancing is also just as good over all and I think "America" is actually better. I totally recommend it. Also the cinema had 8 other people in it, so we felt super safe.

rubysong Wed 22-Dec-21 09:01:37

West Side Story is one of my favourites. Last evening we had village hall film club. The film was 'White Christmas' and one of the dancers in it was a young George Chakiris.

Shropshirelass Wed 22-Dec-21 09:02:37

We went to see it too. Loved it, the production was spectacular, wonderful acting dancing and singing, couldn’t fault any of it. Felt safe in our local cinema too, there were only six of us in there! (Small screen with about 80 seats). I haven’t seen the original but if it is on over Christmas I will try to watch it.

Kim19 Wed 22-Dec-21 09:05:39

Thank you so much for this info. I have bought a ticket for January when it comes to my local. I did have huge reservations since I so loved the original but thought I could wallow in the music if nothing else. I also have faith in Spielberg though. Wonderful!

notgran Wed 22-Dec-21 09:08:59

Shropshirelass I hope you manage to see the original, it is very good. Also when you see Rita Moreno in her prime as "Anita" I'm sure you will be very impressed. It is a different representation of the part but still fab.

kittylester Wed 22-Dec-21 09:11:40

I love love love love WSS!! Really looking forward to it.

We saw it at Curve in Leicester- possibly the Christmas before last - their Officer Krupke was fabulous.

notgran Wed 22-Dec-21 09:11:42

Kim19 I hope you come back on here and let us know what you thought. I went with my daughters who hadn't seen the original and about 20 minutes in, one of them realised it was the story of Romeo and Juliet and just kept crying. That is her barometer for a good time watching a film, how many paper hankies she goes through. They all thought it was great and only one of them is a fan of musicals.

Juliet27 Wed 22-Dec-21 09:12:23

rubysong

West Side Story is one of my favourites. Last evening we had village hall film club. The film was 'White Christmas' and one of the dancers in it was a young George Chakiris.

It was only the other day that we watched an old episode of ‘Last of the Summer Wine’ and George Chakiris played a part in it. I know!….I double checked!!

notgran Wed 22-Dec-21 09:14:12

Kittylester, the part of Officer Krupke isn't as large a part in the film as the stage show. He is in it but when the song "Officer Krupke" is sung he isn't there.

henetha Wed 22-Dec-21 09:42:18

I went to see this with my neighbour last week and we both loved it. What brilliant young actors who could really sing as well. And lovely Rita Moreno was wonderful.
When it ended I counted the people in the cinema, - 9.
So sad for such a lovely film.
It compares really well with the original film.

kittylester Wed 22-Dec-21 09:42:28

notgran

Kim19 I hope you come back on here and let us know what you thought. I went with my daughters who hadn't seen the original and about 20 minutes in, one of them realised it was the story of Romeo and Juliet and just kept crying. That is her barometer for a good time watching a film, how many paper hankies she goes through. They all thought it was great and only one of them is a fan of musicals.

I say this every time WSS is mentioned but, just in case anyone has missed it, our youngest daughter cries everytime Tony dies - she's 34.

TerriBull Wed 22-Dec-21 10:14:23

I would love to see it, has had good reviews, not sure about going to the cinema at the moment. My parents took me to the original, too young at the time to appreciate it

notgran Wed 22-Dec-21 10:17:53

TerriBull. I understand your worry about going to the cinema. I can only suggest you book on-line and choose a performance where very few seats have been sold. We were very re-assured as even though there were so few people, all wore masks and twice during the showing staff came in and wiped down hand rails and other surfaces.

notgran Wed 22-Dec-21 10:21:01

kittylester the daughter of mine who cried/sobbed through most of the film is 39. As a child we had to ban videos of Bambi, Dumbo, Beethoven she would get so upset. However for some perverse reason she really loves having a good cry when watching a film. A student of psychology has their thesis right there grin

Kali2 Wed 22-Dec-21 10:28:53

Hoping to go and see it with family girls after Christmas- can't wait. My big Bro went to see it a couple of weeks ago, and was sorely disappointed- but we are very different.

notgran Wed 22-Dec-21 10:38:20

Kali2. Oh how interesting, I wonder why bigBro was disappointed, did he say?

Kali2 Wed 22-Dec-21 10:47:25

He is 83 and absolutely loved the Original. He said it was far too 'American' to which I replied that is sort of the whole point.

notgran Wed 22-Dec-21 10:47:32

henetha We are obviously of the same mind. There was a very small audience last night, also, which is sad but also made us feel (selfishly) very safe. Every cloud and all that.

notgran Wed 22-Dec-21 10:49:17

Kali2 Interesting comment from your brother. It is set in NYC in the 50's. I wonder if he meant the Puerto Rican's weren't represented enough?

notgran Wed 22-Dec-21 10:51:49

Juliet27 I remember seeing George Chakiris in that episode of Last of the Summer Wine, quite bizarre grin

TerriBull Wed 22-Dec-21 12:18:56

notgran

TerriBull. I understand your worry about going to the cinema. I can only suggest you book on-line and choose a performance where very few seats have been sold. We were very re-assured as even though there were so few people, all wore masks and twice during the showing staff came in and wiped down hand rails and other surfaces.

Yes thanks notgran, may wait till after Christmas and if it's still on go to an afternoon performance they are often quiet.

I usually do book tickets, we went to the cinema back in the summer, the cinema was fairly empty, given we opt for as far away from the screen seats as possible, we were right next to another couple in almost empty cinema. I would have like the flexibility to move seats when there aren't many people, so maybe I'll ask that at the box office.

kittylester Wed 22-Dec-21 12:41:24

notgran

kittylester the daughter of mine who cried/sobbed through most of the film is 39. As a child we had to ban videos of Bambi, Dumbo, Beethoven she would get so upset. However for some perverse reason she really loves having a good cry when watching a film. A student of psychology has their thesis right there grin

Her sisters walked out of Annie in disgust when they took her.

winterwhite Sun 06-Mar-22 12:40:17

Did any Handel enthusiasts catch Theodora from the Royal Opera House last night? It's a favourite of mine but I just can't find that the libretto supports the changed ending (Theodora and Didymus are released). A major change to the plot, obviously, and I think the director went too far.