Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Collecting art

(17 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Tue 26-Oct-21 17:31:26

Do you collect art?

There seem to be many ways to collect art, from really expensive auctions to buying a blank greeting card and framing it at home in a frame from a supermarket.

Originals, originals where an artist paints a batch of originals all together, limited edition signed prints, larger edition prints, mass produced prints, prints to order giclée style, blank greetings cards, home made prints, outsider art, pictures found in charity shops. Any others?

Oils, watercolours, woodcuts.

Smileless2012 Tue 26-Oct-21 17:36:28

Well we haven't bought anything for about 18 months but over the years we've bought one silk screen limited edition, five other limited editions, one original and one commissioned original.

I'd like one or two more but as well as the cost, where on earth would we put them?

Blossoming Tue 26-Oct-21 17:37:34

We buy from artists. Not famous artists and not very expensive pictures, just ones we like. Some are original and some are numbered fine art prints. We also have a few framed photographs and a couple of framed museum prints.

Josianne Tue 26-Oct-21 17:43:14

I have around a dozen original pieces by the same artist and 75% were commissioned.
I think once you find a style you like, you tend to stick with it.

Scones Tue 26-Oct-21 17:44:54

I buy old pictures from flea markets, junk and charity shops. My favourites are those done by amateur artists and they've probably been on someone's wall for decades. I wonder if they were a gift or just for the pleasure of the original artist. They're not always the best art, but always original and full of heart.

Aveline Tue 26-Oct-21 17:57:41

We love to visit galleries to look at all sorts of art and over time have built up quite a few paintings that we really like. Some are more modern than others. Some are of places we have happy memories of. I feel that they 'furnish' our house somehow - there's always something lovely or interesting to look at even in the kitchen. No more space left on the walls now sad

BBbevan Tue 26-Oct-21 18:09:02

Yes we do.Especially original Welsh art, and one or two of our tutor from art school.
Many we have bought through ‘ the Collector Plan’ only in Wales I believe though.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 26-Oct-21 18:10:06

We have a mixture of originals (bro in law is an artist), limited edition prints, original 1960s prints, framed photographs including copies of old photos plus newer ones. We are currently considering buying an original painting by a friend’s husband. But, where to put it? At the moment we have a number of what we call permanent pictures which are always on display. We also have a number of slightly less popular pictures which we swop around. We use a spare bedroom as an overflow ‘gallery’. We need a bigger house!

kittylester Tue 26-Oct-21 18:11:38

We like bronzes and have a few that mean a lot to us - not necessarily everyone's choice.

kittylester Tue 26-Oct-21 18:14:21

My favourite - bought by my dh on one of our wedding anniversaries. It's called 'Where the heart is'.

kittylester Tue 26-Oct-21 18:14:48

the photo orgot thephoto

kittylester Tue 26-Oct-21 18:15:19

Flipping heck. Forgot the photo!

ElderlyPerson Tue 26-Oct-21 18:15:39

I know this might seem like advertising, but it isn't, genuine private post, no affiliation or anything like that.

After starting this thread I had a look at the following website, which I look at from time to time.

www.theblankcardcompany.co.uk/index.html

I saw the picture called Newt Pond and I have since been reading about the artist.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Ravilious

I would happily buy a card like that, frame it in an oak effect frame from Tesco, delivered with the grocery, and display the framed card on a wall in my home. Quite low total outlay in art terms, but to me that does not matter if I like the image.

Aveline Tue 26-Oct-21 18:22:00

kittylester lovely bronze.

Greyduster Tue 26-Oct-21 18:41:16

We buy watercolours from good local artists, and latterly, digital art has captured our interest. We bought a couple of marine watercolours at an auction for our 50th anniversary. We both love them, but from my painter’s point of view they just keep on giving in so many different ways. Pre-covid we had a couple of very good open exhibitions in the city where the standard of work was phenomenally high and most of the work was for sale. Open exhibitions are good places to buy pictures.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 26-Oct-21 19:23:52

ElderlyPerson

I know this might seem like advertising, but it isn't, genuine private post, no affiliation or anything like that.

After starting this thread I had a look at the following website, which I look at from time to time.

www.theblankcardcompany.co.uk/index.html

I saw the picture called Newt Pond and I have since been reading about the artist.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Ravilious

I would happily buy a card like that, frame it in an oak effect frame from Tesco, delivered with the grocery, and display the framed card on a wall in my home. Quite low total outlay in art terms, but to me that does not matter if I like the image.

I first saw his work in the Ashmolean.

Sago Tue 26-Oct-21 19:24:07

We collect marine art, this is one of my favourites by a living artist who is local to us.