Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

How long are you contagious after covid

(37 Posts)
DaisyRose50 Tue 01-Nov-22 14:27:22

Hi folks. We went on holiday early October. Wore masks on flight and return journey but got covid symptoms two days after returning. Mostly temperature, aches and pains, sneezing, mild cough. Tested positive. Symptoms have disappeared apart from lack of appetite and unpleasant taste in the mouth. I have a post nasal drip anyway so that continues. On day 13 now and still showing a faint line on the lateral flow. My query is am I contagious, have isolated the whole time and now starting to get anxiety symptoms. Looked on the internet but no definite answers - lots of ‘experts’ disagreeing. Anyone else tested positive for this long. Many thanks for any help you can give. Daisy

NotTooOld Sat 05-Nov-22 18:07:56

I tested negative after two weeks. I did not go anywhere before that as it seems unfair to breathe covid fumes over others. Not everyone agrees unfortunately.

M0nica Sat 05-Nov-22 18:01:52

Macadia me as well, except that I had no symptoms at all, apart from not feeling well for a fortnight.

The most intersting thing is that as soon as it went, I was brighter and physically and mentally more alert than I have been for some time and in the six eeks since I recovered I have gone back to being the original Duracell bunny. Not sure why I should be bucking the trend for brain fog etc, but I am.

Macadia Sat 05-Nov-22 08:34:47

I was triple vaccinated and still got covid. 10 days in bed, resting, coughing. My husband in a separate bedroom did not get sick. I recovered fine with no lingering issues except 8 weeks of brain fog. I think the virus attacked me brain. I am all better now.

Macadia Sat 05-Nov-22 08:30:05

Sometimes the tests will report negative for a few days, even if you have covid. Over here, in the states RSV is going around. Regardless if ir is covid, cold, flu or RSV, you should isolate til you feel better and drink lots of broth, tea, fluids and rest well.

M0nica Sat 05-Nov-22 07:41:52

Not as easy growstuff. The BHF report has been published in the last week and well publicised, and, of course, mental health is not as easy to quantify as counting heart attacks and strokes.

However there is a considerable body of studies from a number of reputable and reliable sources on the effects of COVID on mental health. Most are qualitative rather than quantitive. However here is one post.parliament.uk/research-briefings/post-pn-0648/ . The search terms I used were:' reports on mental health after COVID uk' and this brought up several pages of authoratative reports to select from.

growstuff Sat 05-Nov-22 05:25:31

nanna8

Thanks for the info, M0nica, good to know. We have different rules for different States here, adding to confusion. Ah well, have to say we avoided the awful number of deaths at the beginning because of our really harsh isolation rules. A lot of mental health issues ensued and are still continuing , sadly.

Do you have any data about the mental health issues?

growstuff Sat 05-Nov-22 05:24:41

I think that's a big mistake.

I'm glad people are getting vaccinated, but it doesn't show whether somebody is infected and possibly contagious. It would make far more sense to get everybody to take a Covid test.

nanna8 Sat 05-Nov-22 05:24:08

Thanks for the info, M0nica, good to know. We have different rules for different States here, adding to confusion. Ah well, have to say we avoided the awful number of deaths at the beginning because of our really harsh isolation rules. A lot of mental health issues ensued and are still continuing , sadly.

nanna8 Sat 05-Nov-22 05:19:36

I caught Covid on one of the Pacific Islands and had to have a certificate authorised by a doc to be able to fly out. Only thing was, the Doc was in Brisbane and had never clapped eyes on me. I just tested myself and it was negative after a week. Trust is a wonderful thing. At that time we all wore masks on the plane which is just as well. Now anything goes of course though we still have to show our vaccination status when we get on a cruise ship.

growstuff Sat 05-Nov-22 05:01:52

My partner had Covid and I refused to see him for two weeks, which included three days after he tested negative.

growstuff Sat 05-Nov-22 05:00:25

MissAdventure

My next door neighbour works at a hospital and has been hounded to go back before time.

Occupational health have had to intervene and remind those in charge that its unacceptable.

That's appalling.

growstuff Sat 05-Nov-22 05:00:01

nanna8 I think it's important that people don't become paranoid. Equally, I think it's important that people understand the risks involved.

I haven't had Covid. My risk of being seriously ill if I caught it are quite high, so I've adjusted my lifestyle to keep away from high risk situations. That's my choice. I understand how it's transmitted and I take every precaution I can to mitigate. I still go out, but I wear an FPP2 mask in high risk areas. People need to be aware of their risk and care enough about others to keep away from those who might be at higher risk of serious consequences. I'm not sure that people always are.

MissAdventure Fri 04-Nov-22 09:00:04

My next door neighbour works at a hospital and has been hounded to go back before time.

Occupational health have had to intervene and remind those in charge that its unacceptable.

M0nica Fri 04-Nov-22 08:59:47

*nanna8. We do have accurate information on the incidence ofCOVID as the ONS has been doing regular sampling of the population since the pandemic begun.

Here is a link that explains in great deal the methodology used and the reliability of the ensuing figures www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/methodologies/covid19infectionsurveypilotmethodsandfurtherinformation

These figures are used in many of the government documents used to inform us about the incidence of the disease and also in the media

ElaineI Fri 04-Nov-22 08:56:42

Everything is a bit vague now. If we test and are positive we still report it and can go out after 5 days even if still positive. I wouldn't though. When we had it we were positive for 9 days and 11 days so we stayed at home. Trouble is that people's work don't follow that now. DD2 is a nurse and she still requires 2 negative tests before going back to work. DD1 is a teacher and doesn't. I have had a bad virus for a week - coughing, runs, exhaustion and sore throat have tested negative 3 times. Had Autumn boosters 3 weeks ago. Goodness knows what it is but unpleasant. I think you have to go with what your employer says if working and if not wait till you are negative.

nanna8 Fri 04-Nov-22 05:55:33

Not really, though there is a bad cold and cough very like Covid around.

MayBee70 Fri 04-Nov-22 00:49:01

Did you have a bad flu season in Australia?

nanna8 Thu 03-Nov-22 23:18:10

It is all very vague here as well. Half the people don’t bother reporting it now so we have no idea of how much is around. We do occasionally get told of the number of deaths per week due to Covid which is frightening enough because it means the problem hasn’t just gone away. People no longer wear masks and I hear a lot of coughs when I go shopping but there is no way of knowing who has Covid.

MayBee70 Thu 03-Nov-22 23:07:50

choughdancer

I've tested positive since Monday last week. Although I am usually happy in my own company, as I live on my own I haven't spoken to a real person (apart from on the phone) since then, and am feeling quite lonely! But I do think it is important to stay in until I test negative; it would not be fair to risk other people getting it from me. One thing puzzles me; you cannot report testing positive to anyone 'in authority'! I cannot understand why this is.

You could download the ZOE app. They’re still showing statistics for covid cases.

choughdancer Tue 01-Nov-22 18:33:02

I've tested positive since Monday last week. Although I am usually happy in my own company, as I live on my own I haven't spoken to a real person (apart from on the phone) since then, and am feeling quite lonely! But I do think it is important to stay in until I test negative; it would not be fair to risk other people getting it from me. One thing puzzles me; you cannot report testing positive to anyone 'in authority'! I cannot understand why this is.

varian Tue 01-Nov-22 18:15:40

I do think that we should all be able to get an answer to this question based on scientific data, but has the government ever given us the answer?

SueDonim Tue 01-Nov-22 18:13:32

I was shocked to learn recently that if you’re still positive on a LF test you can indeed spread Covid. I was under the impression that once ten days had passed, you could resume normal life.

Apparently, confusion has arisen because it’s possible to test positive on a PCR test but not be infectious. The same does not apply to LF’s - if you have enough of the virus to turn both lines pink, you have enough to infect others.

It’s a difficult conundrum, when people need to resume normal life, but are worried about harming others. sad

MayBee70 Tue 01-Nov-22 17:24:37

I did a test which was negative. I thought it would be because, although grandson had a cough my DIL works for the NHS and tests on a regular basis. On the very rare occasion when I do go anywhere I wear a FP13 mask anyway so should hopefully be protecting myself and others. Having the children was one of the very few situations in 2 1/2 years when I was at risk of catching covid.

Rosie51 Tue 01-Nov-22 16:59:15

Unfortunately DaisyRose50 nobody can reassure you that you're not contagious without growing a culture from a test swab. It is extremely unlikely you are still contagious, but I tested positive for many more days than you and decided to self confine until I tested negative. I just felt that if I wouldn't visit vulnerable relatives 'just in case' then I shouldn't risk infecting others. Having nearly gone completely stir crazy, I wouldn't blame you for going out, but would suggest wearing a mask until you do test negative. Hope you test negative very soon.

DaisyRose50 Tue 01-Nov-22 16:46:26

Many thanks for all your replies ladies. It’s difficult isn’t it. To be honest I had a virus at the beginning of 2020 before lockdown etc. It lasted 8 weeks and the doctor just kept saying I would need to “wait until it’s gone”. No mention of isolating, mask wearing etc and to be honest I felt much more poorly then. Now I seem to be spending my life worried sick I’m going to spread the dreaded covid. I haven’t left the house at all and am getting really anxious about the whole thing - it just seems never ending. I know some people who haven’t bothered to keep testing but my conscience won’t let me do that. If someone could reassure me I’m not contagious I think I’d be less anxious but as I said the internet just comes up with so many different answers. Think I’ll give it a couple more days then maybe give the surgery a call. I don’t like bothering them but hopefully they will be able to give me more information. I know how you feel MOnica - my husband had a headache for one day but that was it and he has tested negative each time. Like you say it’s infuriating to say the least. Anyway many thanks again and for those of you who definitely have covid I hope you are better again very soon. Best wishes to you all, Daisy