Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

How long are you contagious after covid

(37 Posts)
DaisyRose50 Tue 01-Nov-22 14:27:22

Hi folks. We went on holiday early October. Wore masks on flight and return journey but got covid symptoms two days after returning. Mostly temperature, aches and pains, sneezing, mild cough. Tested positive. Symptoms have disappeared apart from lack of appetite and unpleasant taste in the mouth. I have a post nasal drip anyway so that continues. On day 13 now and still showing a faint line on the lateral flow. My query is am I contagious, have isolated the whole time and now starting to get anxiety symptoms. Looked on the internet but no definite answers - lots of ‘experts’ disagreeing. Anyone else tested positive for this long. Many thanks for any help you can give. Daisy

growstuff Sat 05-Nov-22 05:00:25

MissAdventure

My next door neighbour works at a hospital and has been hounded to go back before time.

Occupational health have had to intervene and remind those in charge that its unacceptable.

That's appalling.

growstuff Sat 05-Nov-22 05:01:52

My partner had Covid and I refused to see him for two weeks, which included three days after he tested negative.

nanna8 Sat 05-Nov-22 05:19:36

I caught Covid on one of the Pacific Islands and had to have a certificate authorised by a doc to be able to fly out. Only thing was, the Doc was in Brisbane and had never clapped eyes on me. I just tested myself and it was negative after a week. Trust is a wonderful thing. At that time we all wore masks on the plane which is just as well. Now anything goes of course though we still have to show our vaccination status when we get on a cruise ship.

nanna8 Sat 05-Nov-22 05:24:08

Thanks for the info, M0nica, good to know. We have different rules for different States here, adding to confusion. Ah well, have to say we avoided the awful number of deaths at the beginning because of our really harsh isolation rules. A lot of mental health issues ensued and are still continuing , sadly.

growstuff Sat 05-Nov-22 05:24:41

I think that's a big mistake.

I'm glad people are getting vaccinated, but it doesn't show whether somebody is infected and possibly contagious. It would make far more sense to get everybody to take a Covid test.

growstuff Sat 05-Nov-22 05:25:31

nanna8

Thanks for the info, M0nica, good to know. We have different rules for different States here, adding to confusion. Ah well, have to say we avoided the awful number of deaths at the beginning because of our really harsh isolation rules. A lot of mental health issues ensued and are still continuing , sadly.

Do you have any data about the mental health issues?

M0nica Sat 05-Nov-22 07:41:52

Not as easy growstuff. The BHF report has been published in the last week and well publicised, and, of course, mental health is not as easy to quantify as counting heart attacks and strokes.

However there is a considerable body of studies from a number of reputable and reliable sources on the effects of COVID on mental health. Most are qualitative rather than quantitive. However here is one post.parliament.uk/research-briefings/post-pn-0648/ . The search terms I used were:' reports on mental health after COVID uk' and this brought up several pages of authoratative reports to select from.

Macadia Sat 05-Nov-22 08:30:05

Sometimes the tests will report negative for a few days, even if you have covid. Over here, in the states RSV is going around. Regardless if ir is covid, cold, flu or RSV, you should isolate til you feel better and drink lots of broth, tea, fluids and rest well.

Macadia Sat 05-Nov-22 08:34:47

I was triple vaccinated and still got covid. 10 days in bed, resting, coughing. My husband in a separate bedroom did not get sick. I recovered fine with no lingering issues except 8 weeks of brain fog. I think the virus attacked me brain. I am all better now.

M0nica Sat 05-Nov-22 18:01:52

Macadia me as well, except that I had no symptoms at all, apart from not feeling well for a fortnight.

The most intersting thing is that as soon as it went, I was brighter and physically and mentally more alert than I have been for some time and in the six eeks since I recovered I have gone back to being the original Duracell bunny. Not sure why I should be bucking the trend for brain fog etc, but I am.

NotTooOld Sat 05-Nov-22 18:07:56

I tested negative after two weeks. I did not go anywhere before that as it seems unfair to breathe covid fumes over others. Not everyone agrees unfortunately.