Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

2nd Booster...

(222 Posts)
farview Sat 03-Sep-22 10:24:29

Just opinions wanted..
I'm really not sure about having one...I haven't felt 100% since having the 1st booster... also had covid in March...

Aveline Sat 03-Sep-22 20:11:59

Unvaccinated people are more likely to catch Covid and keep the virus going round and round and mutating more as it keeps going. Better to prevent as many cases as possible for all our sakes.

seadragon Sat 03-Sep-22 20:14:22

I'm not looking forward to having the 2nd Booster as the 3 previous vaccinations caused me to vomit profusely and with little warning.... However, DH was severely ill with Covid in early June and is only just recovering so we'll be having our 2nd boosters.

Callistemon21 Sat 03-Sep-22 20:34:13

MerylStreep

Neither of us are having it.
I thought I was in the minority in my circle of friends and family, but no, the vast majority aren’t going to have it.

DH had the 4th vaccine but so many people I have spoken to say they will not have it, even though they have had all of them up to the third one so far.

Callistemon21 Sat 03-Sep-22 20:41:29

Aveline

I've never met anyone who doesn't want the vaccines.

I've met two people who had severe reactions to the vaccines.
Both confirmed by hospital consultants and they both ended up in in ICU in different areas and neither has fully recovered now.

Different areas of the country, no relation or contact whatsoever.
Random but enough to give pause.

I am not an anti-vaxxer and have had all vaccines so far.

Sussexborn Sat 03-Sep-22 20:48:09

Definitely be having them. Over the last week have heard of five people who died from COVID and one friend whose cataract lenses furled up because of her high temperature in ICU.

The vaccine was to reduce the chances of needing a hospital stay. Plus I would like another holiday sometime this year.

My youngest had a bad reaction to her first one but was fine after that.

mokryna Sat 03-Sep-22 20:56:26

I have been offered my 4th, I haven’t decided which to have first this or the flu one.

Kalu Sat 03-Sep-22 21:22:37

Our appointments came in yesterday for 16th Ocotober. Both vaccines at the same time again and we will welcome them.
Neither of us have had any ill effects previously.

farview Sat 03-Sep-22 21:30:33

Aveline...how can that be true...I had my 2 vaccines and a booster...and then was very poorly with covid in March !!!
I'm actually glad that I started this thread.....I don't want , at 70yrs old, to live , however long I have left, in fear...decision made....not having another Booster..I've felt awful since the last one...not risking that again....and if people do get covid...maybe we shouldn't blame it on the people who haven't had certain vaccines...maybe...the vaccines just dont stop everyone from getting it !!??

Casdon Sat 03-Sep-22 21:54:32

JCVI, the clinical experts, recommend it because it reduces the risk of hospitalisation. They have never said that vaccination prevents you getting Covid. I’ll be taking their advice. I think those who opt not to have the second booster are burying their heads in the sand, but everybody must make their own choices.

volver Sat 03-Sep-22 22:43:37

Can I ask the people who think three rounds is enough... If you have a paracetamol for a headache, are you surprised to get another headache a couple of years later? After all, you've had a paracetamol...?

Daisymae Sat 03-Sep-22 22:45:19

I'm probably going to have the vaccine but I don't have blind faith that there's no side effects or anything else of concern. It seems the lesser if two evils at the moment for those older or more vulnerable. I would have greater concerns about younger age groups who have less need to worry about Covid infection.

Callistemon21 Sat 03-Sep-22 22:49:07

I had my booster late so going for a 4th vaccine just two months later when I was invited seemed worryingly soon.
Now I've been invited for the 4th vaccine 9 months after the booster but was told originally it it would be 12 months after the booster.

I'm hesitant as the gap between four vaccines (18 months) seems quite small and in fact unprecedented .

Shelflife Sat 03-Sep-22 23:01:00

I will definitely have the second booster - had no problems with previous vaccinations. So for me it's a yes please!

Kandinsky Sun 04-Sep-22 08:56:03

volver
I’m not having any further vaccines as I now see covid the same as I see flu.
Yes, unfortunately coronavirus will kill some people, just like flu does every year.
However, for most people coronavirus is a mild illness.
If I was over 75, or clinically vulnerable, I would have it again, but I’m not in either group so I’m not having it.

volver Sun 04-Sep-22 09:03:11

Kandinsky

volver
I’m not having any further vaccines as I now see covid the same as I see flu.
Yes, unfortunately coronavirus will kill some people, just like flu does every year.
However, for most people coronavirus is a mild illness.
If I was over 75, or clinically vulnerable, I would have it again, but I’m not in either group so I’m not having it.

Why do you think I needed to be named in that post?

Anyway, flu is there every year and we have yearly vaccines for it, why not for covid?

And you can think covid is like flu if you like. I could think candy floss is like rocket fuel. Doesn't make me right.

Kandinsky Sun 04-Sep-22 09:08:39

Why do you think I needed to be named in that post?

Because you asked the question ?

I’ll remind you here

Can I ask the people who think three rounds is enough If you have a paracetamol for a headache, are you surprised to get another headache a couple of years later? After all, you've had a paracetamol

Kandinsky Sun 04-Sep-22 09:18:35

And you can think covid is like flu if you like. I could think candy floss is like rocket fuel. Doesn't make me right

But coronavirus is similar to flu, doctors say so.
Candy floss is nothing like rocket fuel,
Bit of a non sequitur there.

volver Sun 04-Sep-22 09:19:36

Fair enough. Why not answer the question then?

One needs an annual booster for flu, why not covid?

If you don't want the booster, that's your choice, but those who are saying "three is enough" don't understand how boosters work.

Aveline Sun 04-Sep-22 09:22:41

? volver!

volver Sun 04-Sep-22 09:24:09

But coronavirus is similar to flu, doctors say so.

Do they? Got a link? From a proper doctor who knows what they are talking about?

Note: saying they have equivalent mortality rates doesn't hack it.

mokryna Sun 04-Sep-22 09:28:52

I have no figures but maybe it could be flu is more prevalent at certain times of the year, whereas covid is changing all the time and seems to spread more easily throughout the year.

25Avalon Sun 04-Sep-22 10:28:50

Good point Volver. I’m a bit nervous thanks to all the scaremongering but will have the booster as will dh. The possible consequences and probabilities of having the booster outweigh those of not having it. We have been offered the flu vaccination but not covid yet.

Aveline Sun 04-Sep-22 10:35:16

We always used to be offered the flu vaccine at work and I always used to refuse it. However, one year I got flu and was so ill that it was frightening. Ever after that I've had the flu vaccine whenever offered.
I had all the Covid vaccinations plus booster and was glad I had. I was found on routine testing to have Covid but I'd never have known otherwise. If I hadn't had the vaccinations I could have been very ill.

growstuff Sun 04-Sep-22 10:46:17

volver

^But coronavirus is similar to flu, doctors say so.^

Do they? Got a link? From a proper doctor who knows what they are talking about?

Note: saying they have equivalent mortality rates doesn't hack it.

But flu and Covid don't have equivalent mortality rates!

Covid has generally had higher mortality rates than flu and pneumonia combined. It's possible to have pneumonia not caused by flu.

I don't have an issue if people choose not to be vaccinated, but I'm fed up with false information.

Kalu Sun 04-Sep-22 10:53:20

We were both invited to have the shingles vaccination which we accepted. After recent major surgery, DH contracted a mild dose of shingles. According to his consultant, and I agree, without the vaccine, chances are he would have suffered a worse case than he did.
How much worse we would all have been if vaccines for example, polio, German measles etc. hadn’t been discovered?