Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Chelsea Flower show and Covid

(63 Posts)
Daisymae Wed 25-May-22 13:29:41

OK so I know that we are all over the pandemic, but anyone surprised by the amount of hugging going on? I did think that some of the recipients looked a tad uncomfortable. Crowds of people, no masks. I'm still gearing up to go out for lunch!

Treetops05 Mon 30-May-22 18:01:28

Unfortunately, we now have a society of two halves. One can be free, easy and forget Covid - the rest of us, due to our own or close families health, have to mask, and sanitise to avoid getting Covid from the other half!

icanhandthemback Mon 30-May-22 09:35:40

skunkhair63

My daughter and her partner, mid-thirties, caught Covid a month ago. She was taken aback by just how poorly they were, her in particular, and she’s still having little re-lapses of symptoms if she over-does any physical activity. They are both fully vaccinated, thank goodness. She needs to talk a lot in her job, and still struggles with a very sore throat at times. A long walk last week made her feel wiped out. Take care, folks!

Flu can do that!

skunkhair63 Mon 30-May-22 04:37:38

My daughter and her partner, mid-thirties, caught Covid a month ago. She was taken aback by just how poorly they were, her in particular, and she’s still having little re-lapses of symptoms if she over-does any physical activity. They are both fully vaccinated, thank goodness. She needs to talk a lot in her job, and still struggles with a very sore throat at times. A long walk last week made her feel wiped out. Take care, folks!

Saggi Sun 29-May-22 23:28:41

My son-in-law has Covid for third time. He’s a special needs teacher…. you cannot get these kids he teaches to understand the consequences of masks /hygiene/ non hugging…. they just dont understand. He’s now prepared to be constantly in the firing line for Covid …. of course he’s now passed it on to 15 yr old grandson ( second time ) and only a matter of time before 10 year old granddaughter gets it!! It’s here… we have to learn to live with it…or all curl up in foetal position and forget how to live right! Your choice!

Kimski44 Sun 29-May-22 22:23:04

Hugging strangers, def no. My friend has just had it, having swerved it up until now, despite having been vaccinated with one booster as well - she was really ill (she was shocked at how ill she felt) so definitely one to avoid…. you may not get it “mildly”!

Ethelwashere1 Sun 29-May-22 21:25:57

I met with a couple of friends that I haven’t seen since pre covid. We hugged and had a meal together. Next day both she and her husband tested positive for covid. I was scared however I did not get it. My hugging days are over though too risky

endre123 Sun 29-May-22 17:47:23

The numbers dropping means nothing at all as people are not getting tested with PCRs as they used to& many are not reporting the LFTs when they have symptoms. The death rates are still high, too many have dropped mitigations too soon and the elderly & medically vulnerable are dying. We really must take covid seriously.

Over a million have long covid, the BoE has noted there are many out of the work force through illness. There are high rates of heart damage in women showing up months after often a mild infection & the hepatitis in children is likely linked to reinfections with covid. Liver biopsies have shown it.

I have Long Covid and I would be horrified if someone hugged me, although previously I loved hugs. No one knows if they are asymptomatic & a hug to someone vunerable can be deadly. An 80 year old friend, living alone who has shielded herself well for over 2 years had family with children turn up at her door this weekend. She was horrified, crying in despair, and glad to see them. There is a lot of selfishness out there.

We know the BA.4 and BA.5 are spreading and probably overtaking BA.2 this weekend. We have no idea how severe they are but we do know it this variant by passes the vaccines. The medically vulnerable have had their 'letters' telling them what to do if they get infected, and of course to warn them omicron is still spreading. It has over 12 symptoms, listed on NHS site. Re infection weakens people and over 119,000 children have long covid, from re infections.

It really is nothing like other virus we know about, it's was never spreading until late 2019. A new coronavirus is still surprising virologists and reseachers. We really should be wearing masks indoors and ensuring adequate ventilation everywhere. The virus is airborne, can remain in a room for four hours.

Plus try and make sure our children are safe from infection. There's no such thing as 'herd immunity' with covid19. So many are very poorly with long covid and other organ damage to start being relaxed, as until people learn to 'live with masks and testing' which is 'living with covid' we will have this increasing numbers of sick people leaving our economy.

leeds22 Sun 29-May-22 16:56:17

For me, the upside of covid is having an excuse to avoid unwanted hugs. A friend of ours gets very sulky when I reject his hugs - I’d been looking for an excuse for years.

Grantanow Sun 29-May-22 15:40:11

I had Omicron a few weeks ago and it certainly was not 'mild' - a very unpleasant bout but at least I've now got T cells. It's clear oldies are going to need a booster in the autumn. Johnson would like us all to carry on as though it didn't exist but I think some caution is wise.

GrauntyHelen Sun 29-May-22 15:17:31

People aren't living with Covid they are pretending it doesn't exist Well it does and it is still a threat to the vulnerable

janipans Sun 29-May-22 15:04:16

My hubby is vulnerable following a kidney transplant last May, but having both had Covid (me twice!) despite fully isolating and taking precautions for 2 years and having all the vaccinations available, we have decided that as he has been given a new lease of life, we will not waste it hiding away from our friends and families and being constantly careful. The stress of that was not doing us any good. We have therefore decided that we will abandon our masks and go on holiday and take our chances. We will still be a bit careful in crowded situations, obviously but we will no longer let it rule what remains of our lives.

Cp43 Sun 29-May-22 14:15:39

I agree. In the uk we didn’t used to do hugs or air kissing when meeting up, it was generally a European thing. The upside of Covid is no hugging which I liked unless it was immediate family.

Harris27 Sun 29-May-22 14:07:16

Well my sister hardly goes across the doors ventured out 10 days ago wore a mask got her bloods done at the doctors and now has had covid for over a week. We just have to live with this it’s here to stay.

JaneJudge Sun 29-May-22 13:40:31

Yes really. I wouldn't have posted it otherwise. She is allowed to go out and into the community too. I realise she is a youngster smile

icanhandthemback Sun 29-May-22 13:38:09

JaneJudge

but people aren't testing any more are they? I used to have to test before I went to my dd's care home, now I don't even have to wear a mask.

Alioop, I agree people who are vulnerable most probably need to be a bit more mindful. I hope your friend is okay but on the other hand maybe she felt she was dying anyway so why not hug everyone? We all feel differently (and I have felt differently too earlier on, we were super cautious)

I used to have to test before I went to my dd's care home, now I don't even have to wear a mask.

Really? My Mum has just gone into a home and they want us to test every time we go. We have to book an appointment the day before, only visit her in her room, wear a mask and can only visit for 1 hour. They insist these are the legal requirements.

Paperbackwriter Sun 29-May-22 13:36:12

Sparklefizz

^But the rest of the country must get back to normal working/living etc at some point.^

.... and continuing to spread it around. Let's hope no new variant pops up.

You could say the same about flu or a cold. At 72, I really don't want to spend my downhill years fearfully avoiding people and events. We have vaccines which seem to be effective and most of us who have - post vaccination - then caught Covid have had it quite mildly. Hug away, if you want to!

Nicolenet Sun 29-May-22 13:34:21

Chelsea was in open air and sure that people did not hug strangers. So a lot of fuss for nothing?

JaneJudge Sun 29-May-22 13:29:42

I think the scientists have said we will be living with covid forever now haven't they? I must admit I've stopped watching the news as it was really affecting me

JaneJudge Sun 29-May-22 13:28:46

but people aren't testing any more are they? I used to have to test before I went to my dd's care home, now I don't even have to wear a mask.

Alioop, I agree people who are vulnerable most probably need to be a bit more mindful. I hope your friend is okay but on the other hand maybe she felt she was dying anyway so why not hug everyone? We all feel differently (and I have felt differently too earlier on, we were super cautious)

Alioop Sun 29-May-22 13:21:37

My friend, who has terminal breast cancer, went to a 'do' last weekend and ended up with Covid by Tuesday and she had to go to hospital for a viral infusion. I haven't been going to her home as she has had no jabs to keep her safe, but yet she went to a very crowded event and hugged everyone. It's not gone and everyone needs to remember that.

Jaxjacky Sun 29-May-22 13:20:51

Metra ons testing shows numbers reducing
www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19/latestinsights#:~:text=The%20estimated%20number%20of%20people,in%2080)%20in%20Northern%20Ireland

JaneJudge Sun 29-May-22 13:19:10

I've been out out quite a bit the last few months travelled on trains, been to shows, go to the shops, got to work no mask at all but I caught covid whilst being very careful previous to this and I think I've given up! smile

Daisymae Sun 29-May-22 13:15:40

According to the official figures 422 people have died in the last 7 days and over 3000 admitted to hospital. These figures are all on the way down. Let's hope that it stays that way.

25Avalon Sun 29-May-22 13:11:03

Also some people think because they have been vaccinated and/or had Covid they have immunity. They don’t. I know a lot of people who have caught Covid and been very poorly in the last few months. People need to be aware they can still catch it and be ill. If they are prepared to take that risk it is entirely up to them. If you don’t you just have to avoid those situations.

Suzey Sun 29-May-22 13:08:58

I no longer think or care about