Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Chelsea Flower show and Covid

(63 Posts)
Daisymae Wed 25-May-22 13:29:41

OK so I know that we are all over the pandemic, but anyone surprised by the amount of hugging going on? I did think that some of the recipients looked a tad uncomfortable. Crowds of people, no masks. I'm still gearing up to go out for lunch!

Nannina Sun 29-May-22 11:19:20

Thankfully I’m safe because no way could I afford tickets or travel to the show☹️

Nannapat1 Sun 29-May-22 11:20:42

I'd love to visit Chelsea Flower Show but have never made it. I watched all on TV and didn't give Covid a thought. Is it still a 'thing'?

Nannapat1 Sun 29-May-22 11:22:35

totally agree @wildswan16!

chrissyh Sun 29-May-22 11:25:09

Jeanieallergy21
According to www.worldometers.info/coronavirus the UK have carried out 522,526,476 tests to date. The most of any other country apart from USA and India where the population is enormous compared to UK. It is likely, therefore, that we will have more cases recorded.

Lulu16 Sun 29-May-22 11:25:32

I am amazed at how many of my friends that were so careful in the first couple of years, wearing masks and avoiding situations, have now just abandoned masks, even in busy, unventilated places.
Covid is still with us, and many of us still have vulnerable relatives. I just don't think that we should abandon all sensible preventative measures.

Bijou Sun 29-May-22 11:26:24

My helps still test and wear a mask when visiting me. One had mild Covid two weeks ago. Caught from her daughter who is a nurse. The.y wear masks in shops.

Cabbie21 Sun 29-May-22 11:30:15

My son has just caught covid, just as he has a week off work and lots of plans for the Jubilee.
It is still around and still infectious. People must make their own decisions.

Aepgirl Sun 29-May-22 11:32:51

To me, one of the most positive things that came out of Covid was not having to hug everybody I meet. It was embarrassing in church during the Peace when people who I hardly knew would throw their arms around me. Thankfully, so far, this practice hasn’t (yet) returned.

Metra Sun 29-May-22 11:39:44

The recorded infection rate where I live is 1 in 39 although as a lot of people are unaware that what they assume is a mild cold is actually Covid, the true figure is much higher. Others, of course, can't afford to buy tests.

For most it is a mild illness but can be serious for many and hospital admissions are still high. The infection rates are no longer dropping but, as expected, more or less on an even keel. I suspect that Chelsea will be responsible for many new cases.

LinkyPinky Sun 29-May-22 11:40:53

* It is with us, we have to live with it, we cannot continually be fearful.*
Being cautious is not ‘being fearful’ though, is it, any more than dashing across the road without looking is ‘being fearful’. This is a novel virus which causes some people to die a horrible death , and causes organic damage in a third of people who get it. Thousands of previously healthy people are disabled by long covid.

Speldnan Sun 29-May-22 12:09:36

Never liked hugging except for family, also hate shaking hands. I rejoiced when we all stopped doing it during Covid and I for one will not be going back to it. The Chelsea crowds gave me the creeps ditto football fans by the million this weekend. Cases do appear to be dropping but I shall still be on my guard and wear a mask in queues and crowded shops. I’m disappointed that standards of cleanliness in cafes appears to have gone back to pre pandemic levels. I’m having to ask for tables to be wiped at just about all the establishments I go to now. I put it down to laziness now it’s not as essential as it was.

BeverleyJB Sun 29-May-22 12:42:04

Jeanieallergy21

People seem to think that "living with the virus" means going back to living the way we did before the virus. It doesn't. We should still take precautions and wear masks in some situations e.g. large crowds in confined spaces. But sadly most people don't realise this which means the rest of us have to avoid those situations.

Well said Jeanie - I still wear a mask in supermarkets etc and would not travel on public transport (fortunately don't need to for work) but I realise I'm in the minority.
Many of my colleagues are of above average intelligence and it pains me that they act as if SARS Covid simply doesn't exist anymore. Surely we all have a social responsibility to each other to do simple things like wearing a mask when appropriate, giving each other space etc. It's not difficult.

Suzey Sun 29-May-22 13:08:58

I no longer think or care about

25Avalon Sun 29-May-22 13:11:03

Also some people think because they have been vaccinated and/or had Covid they have immunity. They don’t. I know a lot of people who have caught Covid and been very poorly in the last few months. People need to be aware they can still catch it and be ill. If they are prepared to take that risk it is entirely up to them. If you don’t you just have to avoid those situations.

Daisymae Sun 29-May-22 13:15:40

According to the official figures 422 people have died in the last 7 days and over 3000 admitted to hospital. These figures are all on the way down. Let's hope that it stays that way.

JaneJudge Sun 29-May-22 13:19:10

I've been out out quite a bit the last few months travelled on trains, been to shows, go to the shops, got to work no mask at all but I caught covid whilst being very careful previous to this and I think I've given up! smile

Jaxjacky Sun 29-May-22 13:20:51

Metra ons testing shows numbers reducing
www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19/latestinsights#:~:text=The%20estimated%20number%20of%20people,in%2080)%20in%20Northern%20Ireland

Alioop Sun 29-May-22 13:21:37

My friend, who has terminal breast cancer, went to a 'do' last weekend and ended up with Covid by Tuesday and she had to go to hospital for a viral infusion. I haven't been going to her home as she has had no jabs to keep her safe, but yet she went to a very crowded event and hugged everyone. It's not gone and everyone needs to remember that.

JaneJudge Sun 29-May-22 13:28:46

but people aren't testing any more are they? I used to have to test before I went to my dd's care home, now I don't even have to wear a mask.

Alioop, I agree people who are vulnerable most probably need to be a bit more mindful. I hope your friend is okay but on the other hand maybe she felt she was dying anyway so why not hug everyone? We all feel differently (and I have felt differently too earlier on, we were super cautious)

JaneJudge Sun 29-May-22 13:29:42

I think the scientists have said we will be living with covid forever now haven't they? I must admit I've stopped watching the news as it was really affecting me

Nicolenet Sun 29-May-22 13:34:21

Chelsea was in open air and sure that people did not hug strangers. So a lot of fuss for nothing?

Paperbackwriter Sun 29-May-22 13:36:12

Sparklefizz

^But the rest of the country must get back to normal working/living etc at some point.^

.... and continuing to spread it around. Let's hope no new variant pops up.

You could say the same about flu or a cold. At 72, I really don't want to spend my downhill years fearfully avoiding people and events. We have vaccines which seem to be effective and most of us who have - post vaccination - then caught Covid have had it quite mildly. Hug away, if you want to!

icanhandthemback Sun 29-May-22 13:38:09

JaneJudge

but people aren't testing any more are they? I used to have to test before I went to my dd's care home, now I don't even have to wear a mask.

Alioop, I agree people who are vulnerable most probably need to be a bit more mindful. I hope your friend is okay but on the other hand maybe she felt she was dying anyway so why not hug everyone? We all feel differently (and I have felt differently too earlier on, we were super cautious)

I used to have to test before I went to my dd's care home, now I don't even have to wear a mask.

Really? My Mum has just gone into a home and they want us to test every time we go. We have to book an appointment the day before, only visit her in her room, wear a mask and can only visit for 1 hour. They insist these are the legal requirements.

JaneJudge Sun 29-May-22 13:40:31

Yes really. I wouldn't have posted it otherwise. She is allowed to go out and into the community too. I realise she is a youngster smile

Harris27 Sun 29-May-22 14:07:16

Well my sister hardly goes across the doors ventured out 10 days ago wore a mask got her bloods done at the doctors and now has had covid for over a week. We just have to live with this it’s here to stay.