Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Herd immunity impossible?

(33 Posts)
Daisymae Tue 12-Apr-22 14:05:31

This has been on my mind for a while and this article seems to be at least acknowledging the current situation. Where is the official advice? This virus isn't going anywhere, ignoring it isn't working, not addressing long term health issues is also poor practice. What is the price of constant reinfection? www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/12/herd-immunity-covid-reinfection-virus-world?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

growstuff Wed 13-Apr-22 13:36:43

Katie59

There are a great many viruses circulating in any populations, most of which have a large degree of immunity to them, it’s when you have a new virus strain that serious illness occurs. Influenza is a good example, the virus changes from year to year and scientists developed vaccines to protect against the most likely strains.

Because global travel is so widespread any new airborne virus is going to become a pandemic very quickly, we don’t know what the threat is in advance and it takes time to develop a vaccine. Corona virus is now endemic in the population, most of us have a good resistance, it’s not total herd immunity and vulnerable individuals will be seriously ill, just like the seasonal influenza we regularly get.

Coronavirus is not endemic. Just saying!

growstuff Wed 13-Apr-22 13:39:24

rosie1959

Katie59

It’s highly unlikely that we will eliminate Covid we have got to live with it, we should vaccinate and treat the symptoms as they arise.

As we have done with Influenza for many years.

I think this is true I was looking at the ONS figures there are far more deaths that involve influenza and pneumonia per week than there are involving Covid but we do not request restrictions like masks to avoid these deaths
Covid has higher figures for deaths that are actually due to Covid but I suspect we have built up a greater resistance to influenza
For the last few weeks deaths that are directly due to covid are around 500 per week predominantly as you would expect in the older age groups

Oh well! That's OK then! Who cares about oldies anyway? What about Long Covid?

growstuff Wed 13-Apr-22 13:40:08

rosie1959

MaizeD I agree with some of your points around testing ventilation and people staying off work if they are unwell.
Wearing quality FFP2 masks is also a good idea if you feel you need the extra protection but I certainly won't be wearing one and it's very unlikely many will especially as other European countries are dropping regulations
Who honestly unless they are particularly concerned wants to wear a tight fitting FFp2 mask in all indoor areas for the foreseeable future.

I do.

rosie1959 Wed 13-Apr-22 13:47:58

growstuff

rosie1959

Katie59

It’s highly unlikely that we will eliminate Covid we have got to live with it, we should vaccinate and treat the symptoms as they arise.

As we have done with Influenza for many years.

I think this is true I was looking at the ONS figures there are far more deaths that involve influenza and pneumonia per week than there are involving Covid but we do not request restrictions like masks to avoid these deaths
Covid has higher figures for deaths that are actually due to Covid but I suspect we have built up a greater resistance to influenza
For the last few weeks deaths that are directly due to covid are around 500 per week predominantly as you would expect in the older age groups

Oh well! That's OK then! Who cares about oldies anyway? What about Long Covid?

I didn’t say I didn’t care but just posted the facts I had read on the ONS webpage. You would expect there to be more deaths in the over 85s and 90s it is not surprising.
Far more elderly people die with influenza and pneumonia as contributing factors. My dear dad had pneumonia on his death certificate but it was dementia that was the cause. We don’t have restrictions to prevent these deaths that total around 2.5k per week
Long Covid vaccination should help prevent some cases but you can’t legislate for everything thing there may not be an easy answer

rosie1959 Wed 13-Apr-22 13:50:03

growstuff

rosie1959

MaizeD I agree with some of your points around testing ventilation and people staying off work if they are unwell.
Wearing quality FFP2 masks is also a good idea if you feel you need the extra protection but I certainly won't be wearing one and it's very unlikely many will especially as other European countries are dropping regulations
Who honestly unless they are particularly concerned wants to wear a tight fitting FFp2 mask in all indoor areas for the foreseeable future.

I do.

Well they are available everyone is free to make their own choice and as FFP2 masks if worn properly offer around 95% protection it won’t matter what others choose

maddyone Wed 13-Apr-22 13:58:40

I wear an ffp2 mask when in crowded places.

AllotmentLil Wed 13-Apr-22 14:17:35

Rosie1959 I’m glad to hear that, because of the vaccination programme, you had no symptoms whatsoever. I had two vaccinations and a booster and six weeks after first testing positive for covid I am still exhausted (no, I don’t mean tired) with aching limbs. I am not able to do very much at all but fortunately I have a very willing husband who can. This virus is no respecter of persons or age groups or levels of fitness. I wouldn’t wish what I am going through on anybody.