Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid case surge

(60 Posts)
Daisymae Mon 11-Apr-22 17:20:32

I thought that I would mention it as no one else seems at all bothered that 1613 people have died with Covid in the last 7 days according to the official stats. An increase of 45%. But I don't think that anyone is bothered.

growstuff Fri 15-Apr-22 18:12:28

PS. Sorry I was snippy, but I get a tad cross about the twaddle spouted about the "immune system" and the billions made from promoting superfoods and wonder drugs. The body's immune responses are amazingly complicated, but there is no such thing as a single immune system.

growstuff Fri 15-Apr-22 18:09:45

Farzanah

There are some evidence based things that can weaken the immune system, but there is no evidence that mask wearing is one of them.
Probably another social media myth.

The only way that mask wearing "weakens the immune system"" is that people are less likely to catch colds and other air-borne diseases, which means that the immune system won't have antibodies to that particular virus. However, those antibodies don't protect a person against any other virus, of which there are many, including Covid-19.

As you say, there are there is evidence that some things can weaken the immune response, eg, tobacco, alcohol, poor nutrition, not enough sleep, stress, some medical treatments such as chemo, TNF inhibitors and corticosteroids, but masks aren't included.

Farzanah Fri 15-Apr-22 12:46:03

There are some evidence based things that can weaken the immune system, but there is no evidence that mask wearing is one of them.
Probably another social media myth.

growstuff Thu 14-Apr-22 23:42:10

PS. Where on earth is there any evidence that being "masked up" doesn't do our immune system any good? You don't appear to have much understanding of immune syetems.

growstuff Thu 14-Apr-22 23:31:39

Cherrytree59

Covid cases have surged,
but so have other viruses.

I know several people including myself who have recently succumbed to a nasty bug (testing several times all negative) My sil lost his voice and 3 weeks later my daughter is still coughing .

Prior to Easter Holidays, local primary school had lot of absences due to Chicken Pox.

Keeping ourselves masked up is personal choice (apart from medical environments).
But it does not do our immune system any good.
We need to be exposed to germs to keep our immune system working as it should.

Where's the evidence that other viruses have surged?

Daisymae Thu 14-Apr-22 23:23:24

Nearly 2000 people have died in the last 7 days with Covid on the certificateaccording to official figures.

rosie1959 Thu 14-Apr-22 10:21:55

Casdon

Whereas my 25 year old, triple vaccinated, normally fit son also has it at the moment, and is quite unwell four days in. There’s no obvious pattern to it at all.

That certainly is the odd thing anyone catching flu for instance would all feel pretty rough but with Covid there is no rhyme or reason.

Casdon Thu 14-Apr-22 10:18:30

Whereas my 25 year old, triple vaccinated, normally fit son also has it at the moment, and is quite unwell four days in. There’s no obvious pattern to it at all.

rosie1959 Thu 14-Apr-22 10:15:29

It's definitely not over but on the other hand it's not what it was in the beginning
My step mum has tested positive she hadn't really thought about it till I mentioned she should test she thought she had a cold. She is nearly 90 but appears to be getting over it quite quickly

Farzanah Thu 14-Apr-22 10:05:55

The vaccines that we have at the moment were developed to protect against the original covid viruses, and are still effective against serious illness and death, but work is ongoing I believe in developing vaccines against new variants.

Viruses mutate constantly and in fact there is an omicron XE variant circulating now, which is not giving cause for concern. I think the situation is constantly monitored, and if a mutation of concern appears we will be in a much better position to deal with it than at the start of the pandemic.

I think the long term health problems of infection are as yet unknown.

singingnutty Wed 13-Apr-22 22:43:59

Both OH and I had Covid a few weeks ago and tested negative after 10 days. However, a couple of weeks on we are feeling very lethargic and still with brain fog. OH felt really bad today and was coughing a lot so did a test. It was negative. The worry is that as the policy now is to pretend there is no longer a problem we might not be told of a new variant which might be able to infect people who are fully vaxxed and who have even recently had Covid.

maddyone Wed 13-Apr-22 11:01:49

But it’s clearly not!

maddyone Wed 13-Apr-22 10:45:56

I’m still concerned too. So many people getting it, but many appear to think that it’s all over.

Rosalyn69 Tue 12-Apr-22 13:31:09

I’m concerned and still mask wearing. A friend has just had it and she said she felt dreadful. Nothing like a cold or flu.

Antonia Tue 12-Apr-22 11:22:32

I am still concerned about it, and DH and I wear masks when inside any shops. We no longer go to the cinema or restaurants.
The government stance is appalling, given that the figures are very high.

It's all political of course. Restrictions are unpopular and Boris needs as much popularity as he can get.

The NHS is crumbling, which brings it even closer to being a target for privatisation.

There might even be an element of savings on pensions if the number of pensioners is reduced. Or maybe I'm just too cynical.

ixion Tue 12-Apr-22 11:12:16

www.which.co.uk/news/2022/02/ffp2-and-n95-masks-what-to-know-and-how-to-spot-fakes/

I found this helpful/interesting

(Full article available, irrespective of Which members)

Callistemon21 Tue 12-Apr-22 11:08:05

Marydoll

The other day I was in a shop, when a maskless man leant into my face, ( masks are still required in shops here), I moved away. After he did it twice more, I asked him to stop leaning over me, because I was vulnerable.
He replied, Covid doesn't exist. ??
No wonder it is still spreading, if people think like that.

Stupid man.

It does seem to be very much on the increase here; all age groups seem to be affected. The symptoms seem to be like a heavy cold but we never know just who might be affected more severely. As well as those whose immune systems are compromised some others who are seemingly healthy seem to be affected with long-term symptoms.
My friend can barely stand weeks after recovering from Covid.

Farzanah Tue 12-Apr-22 10:56:44

The Guardian article says it all really. The NHS is struggling and feels abandoned by the government.

The Omicron variant is not killing as many people but the high prevalence of infections in hospital, of patients and staff, means that many routine procedures are on hold. This is impacting general practice, hospital waiting lists, and also acute medicine and A&E depts.

This can’t be the best way of “living with covid”.

As to mask wearing, they can be effective if PPF2 masks are worn and well fitting.

This is not flu, it is a novel virus, and research study results are starting to filter through of the long term sequela of infection, but as yet it’s too early to tell.

Grandmadinosaur Tue 12-Apr-22 10:16:05

Feeling the same here Janejudge my son got over his pretty quick but here I am into my 3rd week and still feel like I’ve been hit by a train.

25Avalon Tue 12-Apr-22 10:13:44

But you don’t get immunity to Covid as you can have it several times. The only thing keeping death rates down are our drugs and vaccines which reduce the severity. In abandoning all measure the government have thrown the elderly and vulnerable under a bus. Then it was always about saving the NHS, not really about us in particular, and in some areas the NHS is once again under great pressure.

Cherrytree59 Tue 12-Apr-22 10:03:59

Covid cases have surged,
but so have other viruses.

I know several people including myself who have recently succumbed to a nasty bug (testing several times all negative) My sil lost his voice and 3 weeks later my daughter is still coughing .

Prior to Easter Holidays, local primary school had lot of absences due to Chicken Pox.

Keeping ourselves masked up is personal choice (apart from medical environments).
But it does not do our immune system any good.
We need to be exposed to germs to keep our immune system working as it should.

timetogo2016 Tue 12-Apr-22 09:52:12

Dh and i were shopping yesterday and only we and 1 other person were wearing masks,so it`s not a shock that covid is still rife.
I know of 26 people who have had covid in the last 10 days,thankfully no-one died.

JaneJudge Tue 12-Apr-22 09:48:49

Loads of people I know (including myself) have recently had covid and the only people I've known describe it as mild are those who are pretty young, in their teens/20s. I felt it was a bit like the flu but now negative, I am still wiped out and one of my glands is still swollen and painful. It isn't just a bit of a sniffle (and I have had the luxury of being able to rest)

volver Tue 12-Apr-22 09:37:20

www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/apr/11/covid-threat-being-ignored-england-ideological-reasons-nhs-leaders

Well it didn't work for me on any of the 3 platforms I use.

Here's the article.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 12-Apr-22 09:29:06

It worked for me.