Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid case surge

(60 Posts)
Daisymae Mon 11-Apr-22 17:20:32

I thought that I would mention it as no one else seems at all bothered that 1613 people have died with Covid in the last 7 days according to the official stats. An increase of 45%. But I don't think that anyone is bothered.

rosie1959 Thu 14-Apr-22 10:15:29

It's definitely not over but on the other hand it's not what it was in the beginning
My step mum has tested positive she hadn't really thought about it till I mentioned she should test she thought she had a cold. She is nearly 90 but appears to be getting over it quite quickly

Casdon Thu 14-Apr-22 10:18:30

Whereas my 25 year old, triple vaccinated, normally fit son also has it at the moment, and is quite unwell four days in. There’s no obvious pattern to it at all.

rosie1959 Thu 14-Apr-22 10:21:55

Casdon

Whereas my 25 year old, triple vaccinated, normally fit son also has it at the moment, and is quite unwell four days in. There’s no obvious pattern to it at all.

That certainly is the odd thing anyone catching flu for instance would all feel pretty rough but with Covid there is no rhyme or reason.

Daisymae Thu 14-Apr-22 23:23:24

Nearly 2000 people have died in the last 7 days with Covid on the certificateaccording to official figures.

growstuff Thu 14-Apr-22 23:31:39

Cherrytree59

Covid cases have surged,
but so have other viruses.

I know several people including myself who have recently succumbed to a nasty bug (testing several times all negative) My sil lost his voice and 3 weeks later my daughter is still coughing .

Prior to Easter Holidays, local primary school had lot of absences due to Chicken Pox.

Keeping ourselves masked up is personal choice (apart from medical environments).
But it does not do our immune system any good.
We need to be exposed to germs to keep our immune system working as it should.

Where's the evidence that other viruses have surged?

growstuff Thu 14-Apr-22 23:42:10

PS. Where on earth is there any evidence that being "masked up" doesn't do our immune system any good? You don't appear to have much understanding of immune syetems.

Farzanah Fri 15-Apr-22 12:46:03

There are some evidence based things that can weaken the immune system, but there is no evidence that mask wearing is one of them.
Probably another social media myth.

growstuff Fri 15-Apr-22 18:09:45

Farzanah

There are some evidence based things that can weaken the immune system, but there is no evidence that mask wearing is one of them.
Probably another social media myth.

The only way that mask wearing "weakens the immune system"" is that people are less likely to catch colds and other air-borne diseases, which means that the immune system won't have antibodies to that particular virus. However, those antibodies don't protect a person against any other virus, of which there are many, including Covid-19.

As you say, there are there is evidence that some things can weaken the immune response, eg, tobacco, alcohol, poor nutrition, not enough sleep, stress, some medical treatments such as chemo, TNF inhibitors and corticosteroids, but masks aren't included.

growstuff Fri 15-Apr-22 18:12:28

PS. Sorry I was snippy, but I get a tad cross about the twaddle spouted about the "immune system" and the billions made from promoting superfoods and wonder drugs. The body's immune responses are amazingly complicated, but there is no such thing as a single immune system.