Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Shanghai lockdown

(7 Posts)
Daisymae Sun 27-Mar-22 19:02:39

China has Shanghai in lockdown as they are trying to suppress the virus. A city of 25 million people. They seem to be very reluctant to let it rip. I wonder why?

Daisymae Sun 27-Mar-22 19:04:29

www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-60893070

ShazzaKanazza Sun 27-Mar-22 19:09:09

My son lives in Nanning in China and they locked down last week for a single case in a city of 7 million.

JenniferEccles Sun 27-Mar-22 22:56:11

They are engaged on a zero covid agenda I believe.

Doomed to fail surely especially as this new Omicron sun-variant is even more transmissible than the original Omicron, which itself is very infectious.

Thank goodness our government had more sense than to go down that doomed to failure route.

GagaJo Sun 27-Mar-22 23:19:59

I've got friends in Shanghai. They've been out today, lunching for Mothers Day. Not all districts maybe?

Callistemon21 Sun 27-Mar-22 23:29:09

I think they're shutting down half of the city at a time.

maddyone Sun 27-Mar-22 23:36:17

The article says the lockdown doesn’t start till Monday and then the lockdown will be for half the city for several days and then the other half of the city for several more days. So it’s not a full lockdown of all 25 million people.
I visited Shanghai when I was on a cruise around that region. It’s was certainly the biggest city I’ve ever seen. I think they’re shutting down so they can test everyone.
I don’t think a zero Covid strategy is ever going to work. The whole world would need to lockdown for three or four weeks and that’s not able to happen. People need food and certain services even in lockdown and so the whole population can’t lockdown. We will never have zero Covid in my opinion, unless the virus simply weakens until it fizzles out.