Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Have you had covid?

(110 Posts)
snowberryZ Sun 20-Mar-22 08:38:49

I've managed to dodge it so far but feel it's only a matter of time!
I still mask up and sanitise going round the shops but yesterday I got back to the car, took my mask off and sanitised my hands and rolled down the window because it was stuffy.
And a woman parked really close to me, got out and literally coughed into my open window! No hand over her mouth or anything.
Some people atre disgusting. She could have turned away at least.

Only a matter of time.
I have friends who've had it 3 timesshock

Maggiemaybe Wed 23-Mar-22 20:47:29

MayBee70

I told my son to rest as much as possible but he said that’s impossible with the children (who thankfully seem to be symptom less ) to keep amused and having to work. It made me realise that one of the down sides of more people working from home is that now people are expected to carry on working even if they’re ill.

They often are, MayBee, though our DS chose to carry on working at home instead of taking sick leave in the same circumstances because he “wasn’t ill”. He was a bit tired but thought that would be because he was short of sleep as he’d broken his arm a few days before the family tested positive…..

I was concerned that he’d end up with long Covid if he didn’t take it easy, but he seems to have got away with it.

GrauntyHelen Wed 23-Mar-22 21:20:13

Managed to avoid so far but been pretty much shielding I know 5 folk who have died from it lots of folk who have had it and 12 folk who have it or have had it in last 2 weeks

MayBee70 Wed 23-Mar-22 21:47:45

Maggiemaybe

MayBee70

I told my son to rest as much as possible but he said that’s impossible with the children (who thankfully seem to be symptom less ) to keep amused and having to work. It made me realise that one of the down sides of more people working from home is that now people are expected to carry on working even if they’re ill.

They often are, MayBee, though our DS chose to carry on working at home instead of taking sick leave in the same circumstances because he “wasn’t ill”. He was a bit tired but thought that would be because he was short of sleep as he’d broken his arm a few days before the family tested positive…..

I was concerned that he’d end up with long Covid if he didn’t take it easy, but he seems to have got away with it.

I’ve just remembered that he’s quite proud of the fact that he’s never had a day off work with sickness. When he was still living at home I wanted him to take a few days off and he insisted on going to work (it wasn’t anything contagious). Just goes to show how covid has changed our lives.

NfkDumpling Wed 23-Mar-22 22:11:54

MerylStreep

I had something very nasty in Dec 19 from which I still have no sense of taste and smell and developed some odd flavours in food.
But it couldn’t have been covid, could it because the WHO hadn’t been given the nod by China to release that information.

I too had that mysterious cough/loss of smell and taste/ knocked for six thing in December 2019. DH caught it too and then after Christmas family dinner, it spread to DD2 and SiL. We'd caught it from our DS and DiL and they got it from her BiL who worked with Chinese students. DH then went on to have all the symptoms of long Covid. It took him well over a year before he felt reasonably ok again and for me to recover a sense of smell.

Since then none of us have caught it again.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 24-Mar-22 14:02:59

2nd negative test today

I can go out, out. Yaaay

Ashcombe Thu 24-Mar-22 15:36:48

Me, too, Oopsadaisy1! Isn’t it a great feeling?! ???

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 24-Mar-22 15:40:55

Ashcombe isn’t it!

I must think of somewhere to go………..

Jane43 Thu 24-Mar-22 16:22:13

Oopsadaisy1

2nd negative test today

I can go out, out. Yaaay

Me too. Second negative today, it will be nice to walk to town again as I do when the weather is fine.

MayBee70 Thu 24-Mar-22 16:23:08

How long does it usually take to test negative?

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 24-Mar-22 16:38:39

Mine took 10 days from Positive to negative.

MayBee70 Thu 24-Mar-22 18:11:55

Thanks. My sons family are coming here in 8 days time: they tested positive several days ago. Fingers crossed.

rosie1959 Thu 24-Mar-22 18:21:28

10 days was the maximum isolation regardless of tests results

Ashcombe Thu 24-Mar-22 20:43:02

MayBee70

How long does it usually take to test negative?

For me, it was seven days from positive to the first negative.

Grannybags Thu 24-Mar-22 20:50:47

My son was only 5 days from positive to first negative

ExDancer Thu 24-Mar-22 21:01:48

Like MerylS, my husband was very ill in Dec 2019 although I'd have thought he would have surely passed it on to me as it was very much more infectious than omicrom. He hadn't been on holiday or travelled out of the local area, but we're now pretty convinced that it must have been covid that knocked him for six. I think its affected his lungs because he has lost his stamina and soon gasps for air when walking uphill and such.
Odd or what?
I've never known him so ill.

CoolGran55 Fri 25-Mar-22 06:48:40

I have NEVER tested for covid. Hence I have not ever tested positive.

How come we are now going to invite unvaccinated Ukrainians into our homes and yet I know people who were unwilling to have relatives to visit over Christmas because they tested positive.

Does any of this really make sense?

Oldnproud Fri 25-Mar-22 07:42:27

I think most of it makes sense, CoolGran55.

Firstly, the majority of people inviting Ukranians into their homes are unlikely to be the same ones who were unwilling to have visits from 'positive' relatives. BTW, not all Ukranians are unvaccinated.

Secondly, I know nothing about the process, but it's possible that these refugees are being tested for covid before they are housed here.

Thirdly, the plight of these people who have fled for their life is so dreadful that if you balance that out against out the risk to their sponsors of serious illness or death from the current dominant strain of covid, helping them clearly wins hands down for those willing and able to do it.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Galaxy Fri 25-Mar-22 08:00:45

Because those who are worried about it presumably wont invite refugees into their home. Lots of people dont view the unvaccinated as some hideous threat. I am surrounded by the unvaccinated every day (children).

SachaMac Fri 25-Mar-22 08:45:35

I have not had Covid, my late DH had it very early on before vaccinations) he was shielding at the time & had been having chemo so we were very concerned but after a day in bed he was ok, I was very surprised I didn’t get it at that time. I think he picked it up when he went to the hospital for a scan & blood test (the only time he really went out).
Recently both my DD’s families have had it and I had been in close contact with all of them but was ok. I have also travelled in a car with friends who both tested positive two days later but again was ok. My Bil tested positive on Tuesday, they returned from a holiday in Spain last Saturday, people are still required to wear masks there but apparently the plane home was full of people coughing and not many wearing masks so I guess that’s where he picked it up. So far my sister has tested negative so hopefully like me she is going to dodge it. Her husband is ok, just has what seems like a nasty cold.
I went to the theatre last night and a man to my right began coughing and sneezing halfway through the play, I just hope it was someone’s perfume irritating him & not Covid!
I’m sure eventually we will all get it but it definitely seems like some people have much more natural resistance.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 25-Mar-22 09:05:38

I’m sure that some people who are surrounded by people with Covid don’t bother to take a Lateral Flow Test because they don’t have any symptoms.
I’m also sure that if they took a test they would be Positive, but asymptomatic, which means that they run the risk of infecting others.
Unless you take a Lateral Flow test you don’t know that you have ‘escaped’ catching Covid.

BIL was due to go into Hospital, we got fed up with him bragging that although everyone he had been near lately had Covid his immune system was so superior that he hadn’t have it, he had to go to the Hospital Car Park for a PCR test and he tested Positive, no symptoms, his op was cancelled.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 25-Mar-22 09:06:06

Hadn’t caught it……..

Keekaboo Fri 25-Mar-22 09:19:46

I thought I had escaped, but at the beginning of March my whole family took it we think brought in by my 3 year old granddaughter who had just started nursery.

We were not too bad although my son in law and myself had dreadful dreams so vivid it was unbelievable. Seems to be common. My granddaughter was admitted to hospital because we couldn’t get her temperature down and then that was followed by a bad throat infection. So children can get it bad as well.
Some of my friends have now just had it having also escaped for the past two years. And am also hearing of other friends having had it twice within a matter of weeks the second time much worse than the first.
So please please be careful.

PinkCosmos Fri 25-Mar-22 09:38:10

I tested positive on Wednesday. I have a bit of a head cold and cough but that is about it really. My DH also tested positive but he says he feels worse than me hmm.

We have just come back from Spain and feel sure we caught it going out on the plane. There were no checks coming back and I felt awful sitting on the plane not knowing whether my mild symptoms were Covid or not, and that I could be spreading it. I kept my mask on all the time when we were travelling but I think I was the only person on the plane coming back who was wearing a mask.

There is hardly anyone wearing masks around were I live in Wales and cases are going up quite dramatically.

I suppose the risk of death or serious illness is much lower now that almost everyone has been vaccinated.

Most people I have spoken to recently have said they had very few symptoms or it was just like a mild cold. I think we will just have to learn to live with it now and take sensible measures if we are tested positive.

MayBee70 Fri 25-Mar-22 10:31:36

Tim Spector was saying in his latest podcast that he can’t understand why the government isn’t informing people of what the current covid symptoms are. He’s also had all of his government funding removed even though his ZOE app is probably the most effective way of monitoring what is happening to the country as a whole covid wise. Obviously doesn’t have friends in high places. The app is currently being used to understand more about the menopause

henetha Fri 25-Mar-22 10:34:27

I've been in close contact with someone positive and am just waiting to see if I get it. confused