Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Feeling ill before testing positive

(64 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 26-Jan-22 09:09:43

Has anyone experienced this?
I have heard of quite a lot of people who have felt rotten but had negative results before eventually showing a positive result.

Mollygo Mon 18-Apr-22 09:09:37

Me, positive Tuesday, positive Thursday, positive Sunday, still positive Tuesday, negative Thursday. DH, negative on my 1st Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, positive on my 2nd Tuesday, positive Thursday, negative Saturday.
No symptoms but we still had to isolate. I’m hoping there won’t be any after effects.

Jaxjacky Mon 18-Apr-22 08:55:06

Bit of a sniffy nose and cough one day, horrendous headache and fever overnight, testing -ve in the morning +ve later the same day.

Marydoll Mon 18-Apr-22 08:30:38

Despite feeling under the weather, my husband tested negative for four days and on the fifth had an obviously positive result.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 18-Apr-22 08:24:00

Felt ill , ipad doesn’t like that word.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 18-Apr-22 08:23:29

Same here, felt I’ll, so stayed at home, even though had a negative result, then the next day tested positive.

When I read that people feel unwell , test negative but go out anyway and meet family it seems so stupid and it’s the reason that the virus is still spreading.

Yes, we should all get a PCR test straight away, but when you are feeling grotty and have to drive 20 miles to get there, it’s easier just to stay at home.

BlueBelle Mon 18-Apr-22 08:08:16

Since my first post my daughter and I have had CoviD I tested positive the first day I coughed she didn’t test positive until the fourth or fifth day of coughing and feeling unwell

Aveline Mon 18-Apr-22 08:05:08

Very, very mild cold. Amazed to be found positive for Covid.

Allsorts Mon 18-Apr-22 07:53:02

Terrible headache and fizziness three days before a positive.

Mummer Thu 27-Jan-22 23:00:57

Mum was a matron (carry on matron!) And said that were MOST infectious BEFORE. Any symptoms emerge! That's why viruses are so dangerous. I.e. feeling rough no spots/rash/positive. As soon as these appear were already fully infused and shedding virus

win Thu 27-Jan-22 22:30:27

I have just read all the comments and see there are different kits, all my kits have been for both Throat & nose, no wonder everyone is confused. Keeps changing

win Thu 27-Jan-22 22:25:15

Why would you not do the throat Farzanah? I thought everyone did the throat and the nose, some even do around the gums top and bottom before the throat.

MissAdventure Thu 27-Jan-22 19:53:45

Perhaps the info should be updated to state that testing needs to continue for a few days, even if the first is negative?
My boy has mixed with so many people, and been to school.

JaneJudge Thu 27-Jan-22 19:50:42

sorry i meant my husbands lft was positive not pcr

JaneJudge Thu 27-Jan-22 19:49:47

that is what happened with my youngest MissA who I think is the same age . The first test was negative but he said he felt hot and a had a bit of a cough so i kept him off and sent for a pcr as I had to go to work and these test centres are only open in core work times (v short ones too) but pcr was positive, husband was sneezing a couple of days after and his pcr was positive

MissAdventure Thu 27-Jan-22 19:46:23

My grandson was a bit off colour over the weekend.
I wasn't sure if it was just teen blues, or not having done his homework.
He felt poorly on Monday; negative test, so went fo school.
Felt poorly on Tuesday; positive test.
Every day since has been a stronger positive, even though he now feels better.

Fishic Thu 27-Jan-22 19:34:09

My healthy 21 year old athlete nephew had an 103 fever and trouble breathing. Took a rapid test that showed negative. Luckily, my sister rushed him to the hospital. Three hours later, confirmed full blown Omicron. Doctors there said they are hearing rapid tests are showing positives several days after onset of symptoms. Several of my friends had it a few weeks ago and they said the same thing - at home test showed negatives even when they had symptoms or PCR test confirmed a positive.

My dad had covid, my mother became very sick afterwards and it took 4 days to finally get a positive reading...

nipsmum Thu 27-Jan-22 19:31:29

Unfortunately I've just heard my 86 year old sister, who is in a nursing home, tested positive at the weekend. I know she has had all her vaccinations but I'm still worried about her.

Nvella Thu 27-Jan-22 16:57:48

I had that cough before Christmas. It was a nightmare - went on and on. I finally rang the Gp to say I could not go on and I think to get rid of me he said it might be a secondary infection to the original virus and prescribed antibiotics which worked.

songstress60 Thu 27-Jan-22 16:00:20

I NEVER test. I have been vaccinated so I consider I have done my bit for society, and it's time for everyone to get back to normal.

JdotJ Thu 27-Jan-22 16:00:09

I have a few friends who, even after all this time of testing etc, did not know a LFT should only be used if you have NO symptoms and the opp for a PCR. I'm sure a lot of people don't realise

JaneJudge Thu 27-Jan-22 15:51:33

I was ill over Christmas with a very bad cold, negative LFTs but my husband and son had covid after Christmas, tested positive and I do wonder if I had it afterall as I didn't catch it off them. I even started a thread as I had lingering after symptoms tlike dry mouth and really aching pelvis and legs

Farzanah Thu 27-Jan-22 15:13:51

That’s interesting Maggs my last from Gov website were short stick fiddly little things.

MaggsMcG Thu 27-Jan-22 14:59:28

Farzanah

Most of the latest LFT tests are now the longer swab. I got one from the Gov website and 2 from my pharmacy, this week. My granddaughter has to one every day for college.

Farzanah Thu 27-Jan-22 14:51:17

Farmor15 Omicrom strain mainly affects the nose.
This is not scientifically true, but I do admit the newer LFTs are meant only for use as nasal swabs. However anecdotally I have heard that many people using them have found that when just using the nasal swab they have tested neg but on using swab for nose plus throat they have then tested positive. The new testing kits have very short swab sticks so throat swabbing can be tricky/dangerous admittedly, and it is not officially advised.

LizH13 Thu 27-Jan-22 14:14:14

I’ve been feeling dreadful since before New Year. Started just feeling ill but then the cough. I’ve had all the symptoms of COVID yet every LFT and 2 PCRs have been negative. A weeks strong antibiotics have helped but I’m still not right. We haven’t been in contact with anyone we know who has had it, and all contacts have been negative. Just need some energy now and a coughing free night’s sleep.