Gransnet forums

Competitions

Harrington’s baby gowns.

(38 Posts)
Missfoodlove Sat 30-May-20 17:45:20

My children as babies wore little Harrington’s gowns for the first few weeks of their life.
Soft brushed cotton and easy access to the nappy!!
My daughter is expecting number 2 in July and I would like to find her some.
Any ideas as to where I can get them?

NotSpaghetti Sat 30-May-20 17:52:02

My daughter had two similar ones given to her - I'd check she likes them first as hers went straight to Oxfam ?

tanith Sat 30-May-20 17:53:05

Do you mean the ones with smocking on the front with ties that did up round the waist tied at the back? Long sleeves. too.

NotSpaghetti Sat 30-May-20 17:54:42

Oh! I assumed you meant the ones with a bagged bottom. Drawstring type

Sussexborn Sat 30-May-20 17:58:06

If you find some with open vest tops they are great otherwise not easy to get little arms in.

Missfoodlove Sat 30-May-20 18:05:16

This is a photo from the internet, it’s the nearest I can find.

Ellianne Sat 30-May-20 18:24:17

Ooo yes, so easy to change the nappy without struggling to get things over their heads! I had half a dozen or so and they washed beautifully. I think these days they favour those big bag things.
Could you make some?

tanith Sat 30-May-20 18:30:05

Oh my that picture takes me back I had half a dozen of them. They did make nappy changing easy. I hope you find some although my younger family members probably wouldn’t use them.

B9exchange Sat 30-May-20 19:03:34

I remember putting mine in something like this

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Baby-nightie-layette-night-gown-bundler-sleepsuit-COTTON/372077848965?hash=item56a1916985:m:mavyinElkapcTSP7NoPw8cw which had fold back cuffs to stop then scratching their face.

Ebay is probably your best bet!

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 30-May-20 20:03:22

I had them for my 2 back in the 1970s, also Harrington’s nappies? Or am I misremembering?

Lexisgranny Sat 30-May-20 20:39:39

I remember them well and rued the day I opted for what was then the more trendy babygro for my firstborn to wear when I brought him home from hospital. I was so naive it hadn’t occurred to me that I wouldn’t snap back immediately to my pre pregnancy shape, and discovered that the suit (we all wore suits for special occasions then) that I had asked my DH to bring in for me wouldn’t fasten at the waist. I anchored it with an elastic band through the button hole and looped round the button. This worked well for a time. My DS was brought to me and placed on the bed for me to dress having since I last saw him grown at least two extra sets of arms and legs and was intent on waving them all. The elastic snapped, and at that moment the door opened and the Matron accompanied by the Queen’s gynaecologist, who was touring the hospital made a beeline towards me. I immediately thrust my legs wide apart to keep the skirt up, whilst he asked me all sorts of questions whilst I (with a very red face) tried stuffing all these additional arms and legs into this really stupid garment, while trying to maintain my dignity. DS had only been used to the regulation hospital gowns during his 10 days in hospital. When I arrived home, I made straight for the Harrington’s, until I had got the hang of this wriggly little eel! Without Harrington’s I doubt I would have mastered nappy changing and retained my sanity.

annsixty Sat 30-May-20 21:21:59

I had Harrington nappies for my first born 1965 but I am sure the gowns/nighties were Viyella.
Babies wore them day and night for the first few weeks.
The skirt of the gown was rolled up when they were put down as plastic/ rubber pants were frowned on.
When they were fed later and the wet bottom sheet was wet it was moved over and the gown was pulled down to it’s length.
So old fashioned and so long ago.

midgey Sat 30-May-20 21:26:18

Annsixty.... I think you must be mistaken...hardly any time at all! Harrington’s and Viyella made them I am pretty sure.

Callistemon Sat 30-May-20 22:28:22

I called them nighties and they were made by Viyella.

No. 2 arrived in 1976 and they were far too hot, all he wore was an envelope-neck cotton vest and nappy.
I liked Babygros, so easy to put on and to change nappies.

Small babies did look very sweet in those nighties, although I would ask your DD first before spending money.

Puzzler61 Sat 30-May-20 22:51:14

Our 2 baby girls had them in the 80’s, embroidered across the chest and they tied at the back. They were from Mothercare. I’m not sure young mums would favour them now as they have a lot more choice of sleeping sacs and babygro’s.

silverlining48 Sat 30-May-20 22:57:26

Yes i got mine in Mothercare too. Still have them as my daughter didn’t want them.

Katek Sat 30-May-20 23:01:09

All of mine were in gowns for the first 6 weeks with hand knitted jackets and bootees. At 6 weeks they were ‘shortened’ by putting them into tiny frocks or romper suits. Does anyone else remember this tradition of ‘shortening’? Was it a Scottish custom.?

Katek Sat 30-May-20 23:04:46

Just remembered - you could also buy teeny vests in sizes-from 10” upwards! Started off with the wrap round vest with side ties and then moved into envelope neck vests

silverlining48 Sat 30-May-20 23:08:14

Oh yes, it’s all coming back now. So many years ago ....

emmasnan Sun 31-May-20 07:44:44

My son's had them in the early 80's. So much easier for changing nappies in the night when I was half asleep!
Think they had tiny rabbits embroidered on the yoke.

Grannynannywanny Sun 31-May-20 10:31:45

Did anyone else do the same as me with the envelope neck vests and remove them the same way as they went on ie over the head?

I saw a discussion on them a few years ago and a demo video attached which was a revelation to me! Apparently they are designed so that if you unfold the shoulders the vest can be removed downwards over the baby’s body and over the feet.

2 kids, 4 grandkids and that gem escaped me. Trying to roll up all those poo plastered vests after a nappy leak to safely get them over their little heads and it wasn’t necessary

JackyB Sun 31-May-20 10:58:10

Mine had normal Babygro's and rompers. They had very soft stools and it always leaked and required a complete change of wardrobe every time - so a gown wouldn't have been any advantage. My DS and DiL had their baby in the US just before Christmas. They swaddle them there. It looks horrible - like a straight jacket. And far more fuss to change.

Calendargirl Sun 31-May-20 12:29:27

Why is this on the Competitions thread? I tuned in thinking it was to win a posh baby gown!

vegansrock Sun 31-May-20 12:48:22

I wonder if they would be considered unsafe these days? - anything that could ride up over the head or with ties or ribbons is frowned upon.

Grannynannywanny Sun 31-May-20 13:04:57

Good point Vegansrock.

I did use them in the 70’s for my firstborn but didn’t find any advantage. A nappy leak still gets them!

I remember at antenatal class being given a very specific shopping list which I followed to the letter. It included very cute little newborn vests which were crossover style with fine ribbon ties. I can feel the frustration now 42 years later of trying to untie tiny knots while baby wriggled and screamed. I had to snip the ribbon open on a few of them.

By 2 weeks I had moved on to envelope neck vests and babygros and found it so much easier to get on and off. Also it felt so much more secure handling a tiny baby in a babygro than a gown.