Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a £150 Waterstones voucher and a copy of The Switch *NOW CLOSED*

(816 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 17-Apr-20 10:30:29

To celebrate the release of The Switch by Beth O'Leary we're giving one lucky gransnetter the chance to win a £150 Waterstones voucher, along with a copy of the book. We're also giving two runners-up £50 worth of Waterstones vouchers each as well as a copy of the book.

More details on the prize can be found HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will pick a winner after 11am on 23rd May.

To enter simply tell us... How important is it for people of all ages to feel connected to their community?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

Froglady Fri 17-Apr-20 11:18:33

It is very important as without that connection, society could begin to break down and have many different factions and people becoming increasingly isolated. The coronavirus may prove to be a stepping stone as neighbours are looking out for each other now because of the crisis.

wildswan16 Fri 17-Apr-20 11:53:33

I think we are nurtured and learn through loving relationships with people of all ages, cultures, interests, skills and abilities. We take that learning and pass it on to others - weaving a web of connections without end.

devonnanny Fri 17-Apr-20 12:15:38

Its very important as its what keeps society working - especially now when a sense of being part of our community means staying home as much as possible to keep us all safe. It also helps to see and receive messages that others around you are experiencing the same problems as you are and you are not alone.

Mary0 Fri 17-Apr-20 12:17:08

It is vitally important for people of all ages to connect with their community. We are social creatures and need to meet our neighbours and chat and keep a helpful eye on each other, and have a laugh together for our mental health.

M0nica Fri 17-Apr-20 12:24:03

In the current crisis, we have learnt more about the importance of connecting to the community than anything else. From neighbours shopping for the housebound, to children in my village decorating houses and trees with rainbows and flowers and bunting to lift our spirits when out and about, to the way everyone greets everybody else when out walking, to everyone coming out to clap, crash, bang, and tootle for the NHS on Thursday evenings. That is the community and why it is important. We are all in it together.

Marmight Fri 17-Apr-20 12:30:51

It’s essential to be part of the community. I was very much into the village community where I used to live and since moving have found it quite difficult/slow to integrate into village life. However, since lockdown, I have met and talked to many people on my daily walks and on the village website where everyone supports each other, had umpteen offers of help, phone calls asking if Im ok, offers of plants for the garden and more. We’ve seen in the media how neighbourhoods from North to South have pulled together and supported each other since the virus struck. Every cloud has a silver lining.

lillyofthevalley Fri 17-Apr-20 12:40:22

How important is it for people of all ages to feel connected to their community?

Important - as they can give so much back, advice, knowledge and being part of the big family.

Nonnie Fri 17-Apr-20 12:57:10

How important is it for people of all ages to feel connected to their community?

Vital that we pass on our experience and be open minded and listen to younger people. I would also widen the question to include people of other cultures and also people with different backgrounds in addition to ages.

On GN we can't see people and have no idea what they look like or what their background is which probably means we get wider viewpoints than we would otherwise get.

EllenC Fri 17-Apr-20 13:09:44

As this current crisis has shown, a sense of community, of belonging to a wider family, is vital to our basic sense of well-being. People of all ages, creeds, races are connected by our shared humanity. I was, I must admit, a little cynical before the Clap For The NHS actually happened but to see young and old out in the streets celebrating care givers was life affirming. It was community in action and it is of vital importance.

gillyknits Fri 17-Apr-20 13:16:49

If you live in a bustling city it is very hard to feel connected to your community. (many people don’t even know their neighbours)b and so the sense of isolation can be intense.
In these difficult times people are beginning to think more about each other and are reaching out to include the single mothers ,the old and the lonely. Let’s hope no one gets missed out.
When we return to our busy lives, let’s hope that we continue to be aware of people who were feeling lonely and isolated. It is so vital to know that people actually care about you and that you aren’t alone.

joannapiano Fri 17-Apr-20 13:25:07

After living in London all my life, I really appreciate the friendly neighbourhood in the small town we moved to thirteen years ago. Everyone is phoning each other these last weeks to see if anyone needs anything. Younger neighbours have put their contact details through the door. I really wished we had moved here earlier.

fritherdog Fri 17-Apr-20 13:35:39

Young, old, in between- we all are important to the wider community: older people with their experiences, young with enthusiasm and lust for life, and the in betweeners keeping the economy and fabric of society going. Without connections we would be poorer for not understanding each stage of life and unable to be together in what after all, is a beautiful world.

CHARLEY1 Fri 17-Apr-20 13:52:28

Hugely important but not always easy particularly if you move to an area where you know no one at a time when you have a busy work life and no spare time to join local clubs etc. Also not having children means you don't have that avenue into friendship groups. It is one of the good things that may come out of this present situation that neighbours may feel drawn together for moral support and friendships may be formed that will last for a long time

JessK Fri 17-Apr-20 14:08:44

Everyone needs to feel they belong and being part of the community helps with that as not everyone has family to rely on. We learn so much from others and in turn we give so much back. Even if someone likes to spend time on their own there is still a need to have someone to turn to for support. In this strange time so many cross generational friendships have been made and hopefully that will continue when we return to normal.

fourormore Fri 17-Apr-20 14:24:19

This crisis has proved that people of all ages, status, cultures, creeds can work together.
Neighbours who have never spoken before, now speak and check on each others welfare!
Volunteers from all walks of life give their time and energy collecting prescriptions, getting shopping and sitting on helplines for those needing help.
The elderly have a wealth of experience that should be shared - the youngsters want to learn, but so often the two age-groups don't meet.
Wouldn't it be great for the whole world if this tolerance and understanding could continue when the crisis is over?

LynneH Fri 17-Apr-20 14:45:38

It is absolutely vital for people of all age groups to mingle, to learn from and help one another. I’ve just been very touched by a special delivery from my little next-door neighbour; a rainbow picture to put in my window

Aka77 Fri 17-Apr-20 14:52:38

Very important, “It takes a village”.

falconer Fri 17-Apr-20 14:58:01

Of course it is important to take part in and feel part of one's community. But, for many folk, it is only now, as we have to self-isolate, that we realise it. Hopefully, people's awareness of this will continue even afterwards ...

juliedee Fri 17-Apr-20 15:00:39

its quite important, really depends where you are I suppose, living in a rural area its nice to see people for sure

galleyman Fri 17-Apr-20 15:08:14

It has become obvious since the Lockdown that the community is there waiting in the wings so to speak, to swing into action when needed. Having to self isolate from the beginning, I have been contacted by my neighbours (by card) and the local councillor (by leaflet) straight away offering to help in any way they can. My daughters have rallied round to ensure that I need for nothing. It is heartening to feel that you are not alone.
When things are getting back to 'normal' it'll be my turn to payback in any way I can.

toscalily Fri 17-Apr-20 15:08:45

We all need to feel we belong that we are not invisible in this modern world, so often disconnected rather than connected by modern technology. We have had notes pushed through the door offering help from younger neighbours, a walk gives the opportunity for a smile & wave while keeping our distance, conversations across the road, giving a wide berth to a small happy child cycling along the pavement. A village shop for emergency shopping, so important at this time, these are what make our community.

GeminiJen Fri 17-Apr-20 15:14:13

As others have already said, one of the good things to come out of the current crisis is the way people have come together to support and help each other, either informally with small acts of kindness or more formally through organisations and voluntary opportunities. It's been truly heartwarming and I so want to hope that it will survive.

isis53 Fri 17-Apr-20 15:20:29

Its very important for peoples mental health to feel connected and part of a community especially for people who live alone and may not have family

sarahadavies1 Fri 17-Apr-20 15:31:36

It is more important than ever to keep in touch with not only our family and friends, but also our neighbours. I hope that when these strange times are over that we continue to forge relationships and care for each other.