Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a bundle of Roald Dahl goodies *NOW CLOSED*

(453 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 10-Sep-18 16:29:34

We're celebrating Roald Dahl Day on 13th September by giving you the chance to win a Roald Dahl costume and collection of six Roald Dahl books for your grandchild. We have two prize bundles up for grabs.

More details HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will be picking a winner at random after 11am on 25 September.

To enter simply tell us... who is your favourite Roald Dahl character and why?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

SatanicGoth Mon 10-Sep-18 18:16:07

Luke from the witches is my favourite character because he and his gran come up with brilliant ideas to expose the witches.

Lisa15781 Mon 10-Sep-18 18:52:23

bfg as he is lovely and a fab story

NfkDumpling Mon 10-Sep-18 19:08:59

I’m with Lisa, it has to be the BFG. He’s really the best sort of grandad.

Alima Mon 10-Sep-18 19:17:27

Willy Wonka as he is so kind and has a wonderful job.

Sjonlegs Mon 10-Sep-18 19:54:31

I'd have to say Danny the Champion of the World. I absolutely loved it when our teacher read this book to us. I literally hung on her every word and always wondered what it would be like to be Danny.

Galen Mon 10-Sep-18 20:38:32

James and the giant peach! I adore peaches!

Jalima1108 Mon 10-Sep-18 20:58:37

Matilda Wormwood and her telekinesis gift!

jacq10 Mon 10-Sep-18 21:08:42

Definitely the BFG. Couldn't wait for grandson to be old enough to enjoy it with me and wasn't disappointed - such fun!!!!

grannyactivist Mon 10-Sep-18 21:51:15

My favourite character is William, dad of Danny, 'The Champion of the World'. Why? Because he's a flawed human being, but a wonderful dad and as a single parent is doing a great job of raising Danny.

Also because I have two sons who loved having the book read to them when they were little and one of them is now a single parent dad to his own son.

mumofmadboys Mon 10-Sep-18 22:21:09

Charlie from Charlie and the chocolate factory.. He appears to be such a kindly lad and very family orientated.

Lorelei Mon 10-Sep-18 22:31:31

Charlie from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, because he was the little lad with nothing, the underdog who was good at heart and managed to win over Willy Wonka to inherit the magical world Wonka had created - a worthy successor and nice to see him triumph over all those self-centered brats. Also he loved and wanted to look after his family - the sort of boy any family would be proud of.

Elrel Mon 10-Sep-18 22:32:32

The girl with The Magic Finger whom Ronald Dahl doesn't name. All my class wished they had that finger when they heard the story!

cornergran Mon 10-Sep-18 22:46:07

Grandpa Joe from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for inspiring such love from Charlie, completely believing in him and also showing human traits. .

caro8500 Mon 10-Sep-18 22:54:49

Charlie from Charlie and the Chocolate factory. A lovely boy who just wanted to help his family above everything else

vivianallman Mon 10-Sep-18 23:00:39

Matilda… i'd love to have been her as I was growing up smile

Cherrytree59 Mon 10-Sep-18 23:35:32

My Daughter loved the BFG and called her guinea pig Sofie.

Roll on a few years and we were lucky enough to be able to take our then 4 yr old grandson to the cinema to see his first film which was the new BFG.

He loved the giants.
He has both old and new version on DVD but he and his three year old brother prefer the old version and rewind constantly to watch Bloodbutler giant.

They also have a BFG book and stickers.

One the boys favourite games is..
The BFG (throw for a cloak) to be chased round the garden by BloodButler.

This summer they planted (among other things) snozcumbers (cucumber)
All picked and eaten with glee by both boys.

Whizzpopping (at home) for some reason always causes a giggle.grin

So its the Roald Dahl's BFG for the Cherrytree familysmile

paulacheadle Mon 10-Sep-18 23:40:09

peru

Chewbacca Mon 10-Sep-18 23:50:36

Mrs Twit (or Mr Twit) are my all time favourites. Of all the RD books that I read to my DS, this was the one that I liked the best! I love the dark humour of a warring couple, trying to out do each other with ever more hideous pranks played against the other. Reminds me of me and the ex!

Annie29 Tue 11-Sep-18 00:06:51

Danny the champion of the world,often listen to it with the grandchildren on long car journeys.

andywedge Tue 11-Sep-18 01:22:14

Willy Wonka
A good heart with a twisted mind

Marie888 Tue 11-Sep-18 03:16:53

Willy Wonka just loved the chocolate creations and crazy character

crystaltipps Tue 11-Sep-18 07:16:36

Miss Trunchbull from Matilda

crystaltipps Tue 11-Sep-18 07:17:31

Always makes me laugh ( Mis Trunchbull)

Wildrose24 Tue 11-Sep-18 07:50:40

Grandpa Joe showing strength and courage.Even though he spent his days in bed in poverty trying to keep warm he got up and went with Charlie ready to share the great adventure.