Gransnet forums

Christmas

I tried you don't have to.

(76 Posts)
Esspee Wed 09-Nov-22 16:27:28

Over on Mumsnet, under the above title, some members are selflessly trying out all the supermarket's Christmas offerings such as mince pies and reporting back their reviews of the products. Some have even bought and eaten more of their top choice just to be sure of consistent quality.
I recommend you have a look or we could start our own Christmas special reviews.
Go on, you know you want to!

BlueBelle Wed 09-Nov-22 16:45:11

Not really
I bought 6 Mr Kipling mince pies for 33p the other day in Asda and they still have 5 days left on their date 😂
Seriously it’s all down to personal choice isn’t it
What I like and think is good value may not be the sane for you or another poster
It’s also down to what shops you have in your area
Someone might advise Sainsburys Christmas cake is the best but if you haven’t got a Sainsbury s in your area your snookered

Katyj Wed 09-Nov-22 17:04:07

We’ve tried the iced mince pies from Asda their not very good I’m afraid hardly any filling in them. Can anyone recommend some decent ones.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 09-Nov-22 17:12:12

Sounds like a fun idea to me. We're planning to try Tesco's mince pies later this week as we stop eating them in December just so as not to overdo it. grin I'll report back.

VioletSky Wed 09-Nov-22 17:21:54

Would someone please try an Asda Extra special gingerbread and butterscotch sponge for me please

SachaMac Wed 09-Nov-22 17:22:34

Coop Bakery mince pies are quite good, either shortcrust or puff pastry. They are on offer at the moment. I really meant to put them straight in the freezer!? blush

kittylester Wed 09-Nov-22 17:27:08

Any gf products that are good or should be avoided would be good.

merlotgran Wed 09-Nov-22 17:44:23

kittylester

Yes!!

MrsKen33 Wed 09-Nov-22 18:08:59

Sainsbury’s frangipane mince pies a lovely.

kittylester Wed 09-Nov-22 18:18:14

The M&S gf ones which won in the GH tests were, I thought, a bit too sweet.

Esspee Wed 09-Nov-22 18:22:00

kittylester

Do have a look at the Mumsnet thread. There were a few posts about gluten free products and also vegan products last time I looked.

SachaMac, that’s the spirit 😄

M0nica Wed 09-Nov-22 18:54:15

My mince pies are quite good, but DD's are better. This year I will be sampling DGD's, she is a cook of some note but I have yet to taste the pies.

All three will be using the nut-free mincemeat that I have made, and that is superb!

Norah Thu 10-Nov-22 11:57:47

M0nica

My mince pies are quite good, but DD's are better. This year I will be sampling DGD's, she is a cook of some note but I have yet to taste the pies.

All three will be using the nut-free mincemeat that I have made, and that is superb!

Will you share the recipe, please.

My mincemeat is lovely, but a second different batch is good.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Nov-22 14:18:27

kittylester

I’ve just bought Waitrose today. Might have one with a cup of tea at 3pm - I’ll let you know.

I also bought a Waitrose 5”? Christmas cake. Now wishing I’d waited and ordered one from Simply Delicious. In my opinion their GF cakes are divine. They have a cake club that I have belonged to in the past but my weight is not conducive to cake eating!

My ambition is to find a good GF stollen.

crazyH Thu 10-Nov-22 14:41:37

Oh stollen is my favourite Xmas treat - bought a pack from Asda and scoffed the lot, with a cup of tea 😂

MiniMoon Thu 10-Nov-22 14:52:48

I can recommend Sainsbury's Taste the Difference stollen slices with added brandy. We have just come back from shopping and I'm sitting with a cup of tea and one of the above. There is just one problem, they aren't big enough.

Hellogirl1 Thu 10-Nov-22 14:58:27

If you have a Curtis`s of Lincoln in your area, their mince pies taste just like home made.

Farzanah Thu 10-Nov-22 14:59:02

My heart sinks when invited to taste someone’s home made mince pies. Never had a good one. Give me M&S any day 😀

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Nov-22 15:26:18

Right reporting back on Waitrose mince pies gf.

They seem to be offering two types. One in a pack of 4 which I bought and one a pack of two with a star pastry on top.

I didn’t heat the mince pie. The pastry was sprinkled with too much sugar for my taste which I found overwhelmed the mincemeat. I couldn’t taste any alcohol - I do like brandy in my mincemeat. The pastry was a shortcrust type and quite hard.

I shall warm the next 2, and see how they shape up.

Overall - nothing exceptional.

Can anyone recommend a good GF pastry of any sort?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Nov-22 15:27:01

Tomorrow I’ll get some M&S gf mince pies.

hulahoop Thu 10-Nov-22 15:36:52

I don't like mince pies but my oh likes Aldi ones .

kittylester Thu 10-Nov-22 15:45:26

I like Jus rol (I think) gf puff pastry. Don't know if they do a short crust one. Anyone?

I have spread mincemeat over the puff pastry, rolled it up and made sort of palmiers. They were OK.

I thought the M&S gf pies were sweeter that waitrose.

Welshwife Thu 10-Nov-22 16:34:01

I sometimes make an apple and mincemeat pie - and I find putting a layer of apple in takes the edge of the sometimes over sweetness of the mincemeat.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Fri 11-Nov-22 11:08:39

That is very noble of people testing out the xmas goodies and saving us and our waistlines from ourselves!
I don't do mince pies until December (and likewise hot cross buns til the spring) so I will selfishly let the rest of you test away!
However from past experience, I found Lidls Xmas pudding very good - I bought one once on chance and always buy their's now.
We are going to have a scaled back Xmas this year, so I am not going to make a xmas cake or mince pies, so have bought a Lidls rich fruit cake to decorate, and I'm hoping it will match up to the xmas pudding.

win Fri 11-Nov-22 11:33:13

Tesco puff pastry mince pies are wonderful, hope they do them again this year.